AMD offering a deal on their cards if you return your 970!

TheMidnightNarwhal

They didn't lied, they just have slow ram issues or something like that. The card does have 4gb, it's when it hits the last .5gb that is had problems.

1 disabled l2 cache..before, an entire block will be unused and will only give you 3.5gb

that's the reason why nvidia engineers are very happy because they are still able to give the full 4gb albeit the performance is greatly affected.great read from pcper

happy engineering did not equate to happy customers though.. xD

Can someone tell me whats so bad with the 970? I haven't been looking at GPUs and all the other stuff in the past months so I have no clue whats going on ;P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Can someone tell me whats so bad with the 970? I haven't been looking at GPUs and all the other stuff in the past months so I have no clue whats going on ;P

Nothing is "bad" about it. It is still a great GPU and performs just as great as it did before this whole thing blew up. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Actually the memory gbs is the only thing they were honest about. They lied about the bandwidth and ROP count. Maybe even other stuff I don't really remember about.

wouldn't go debating about "lying"..but from pcper

the 13 SMMs in the GTX 970 can only output 52 pixels/clock and the seven segments of 8 ROPs each (56 total) can handle 56 pixels/clock.

Nothing is "bad" about it. It is still a great GPU and performs just as great as it did before this whole thing blew up. :)

Well, what thing do you mean? Thats what I'm asking :P what the actual fk is going on w this GPU for so many people to hate it on? I didnt follow it at all when it released I was kind of not interested in tech too much took a break from it :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Well, what thing do you mean? Thats what I'm asking :P what the actual fk is going on w this GPU for so many people to hate it on? I didnt follow it at all when it released I was kind of not interested in tech too much took a break from it :P

See above your post. That plus people are upset that 4GB is really 3.5GB of RAM, as the last of it is accessed very slowly.

*how I understand it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

See above your post. That plus people are upset that 4GB is really 3.5GB of RAM, as the last of it is accessed very slowly.

*how I understand it.

oh ok. thx :)

Specs of my PC:

So what is the deal they're offering?

10% off and a stupid looking hat.

basically the GTX 970 is a cut down version of GTX 980. but it was cut down in such a way, that it can access 3.5 GB RAM at high bandwidth and whenever it tries to use the last 500 MB segment, the bandwidth drops down a lot.

Basically at normal usage the card works as expected

At extreme usage, so Ultra 4K gaming, when a game uses more than 3.5GB RAM, the game slows down more than it should

AMD acting like little children...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

basically the GTX 970 is a cut down version of GTX 980. but it was cut down in such a way, that it can access 3.5 GB RAM at high bandwidth and whenever it tries to use the last 500 MB segment, the bandwidth drops down a lot.

Basically at normal usage the card works as expected

At extreme usage, so Ultra 4K gaming, when a game uses more than 3.5GB RAM, the game slows down more than it should

Ooooh ok thanks for the explanation ;)

Specs of my PC:

I think what NVIDIA did was quite immature as well.

Waiting for this whole thing to blow up in their face.

If no one had found it , it would have gone unnoticed.

I just want a more aggressive product/price war. I want these guys to kill each other. I'll give my money to who has the better product. :P

I think what NVIDIA did was quite immature as well.

Waiting for this whole thing to blow up in their face.

If no one had found it , it would have gone unnoticed.

It's not like 970s will all of a sudden start performing worse...

The whole is blown out of proportion, with AMD adding fuel to the fire. It's like the whole "SEGA does what nintendon't" nonsense.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

This forum... I can't...

Nvidia overcharges and lies in their marketing, AMD takes a pot-shot on the internet, and there are people defending Nvidia/hating AMD?

Da faq?

Is that a Do 335 as your icon?

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Good for AMD and you Nvidia fanboys are just pathetic...

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Good for AMD and you Nvidia fanboys are just pathetic...

I haven't read the thread, who's being pathetic?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Technically yes, BS when you look at what is useable on the R9 295X x2, and GTX 970s do have 4GB of vRAM.

Apparently with Mantle in the future you'll be able to use all 8GB on the 295x2

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Apparently with Mantle in the future you'll be able to use all 8GB on the 295x2

seriously?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

very interesting. Considering DX12 in it's current form was made possible because of AMD engineers sharing their Mantle work with microsoft, I wonder if the same will be true with DX12... If Nvidia has any say than probably not, but here's hoping.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

very interesting. Considering DX12 in it's current form was made possible because of AMD engineers sharing their Mantle work with microsoft, I wonder if the same will be true with DX12... If Nvidia has any say than probably not, but here's hoping.

If Nvidia tried to stop people from being able to properly utilize their dual GPU and SLI cards the way they should be, there more than likely would be a mass exodus from their products.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Nvidia has nothing to gain by holding back DX12.

It's not like 970s will all of a sudden start performing worse...

The whole is blown out of proportion, with AMD adding fuel to the fire. It's like the whole "SEGA does what nintendon't" nonsense.

Lol NVIDIA KNEW that the 970 had problems , they explained it themselves when push came to shove.

Holding their cards close to the vest untill people found what they did was immature as well.