AMD offering a deal on their cards if you return your 970!

TheMidnightNarwhal

Meh, unless it actually causes issues with gameplay 3.5 GB should be plenty for anyone.  When I bought my 770 last year everyone was saying how there was no need for the 4GB version to just buy the 2GB one. Now everyone got their panties in a wad over 512 mb. 

because every one thinks intel and nvidia are leages above AMD in every way shape and form.

it jsut pisses me off..... WHY CANT PEOPLE CALM THE FUCK DOWN. (i say in caps. x'D )

To be fair, Intel and IBM are in a league of their own above AMD right now and have been for a while. Nvidia and AMD are more even level players. That said, AMD really needs to produce mature but inspiring advertising. When was the last time you saw AMD out in front helping with a charity for dealing with a crippling sickness or helping aid a country after a disaster like the Haiti earthquake or the Ebola outbreak in Africa? For all of Intel's monopolism (most of it fairly gained in the desktop and server space, less so in mobile, and we'll see if that extends into phones), it's also the biggest when it comes to charitable donations.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Fair enough. Nothing to argue there. though i've heard mixed reviews on that (within the past month Wendal from tech syndicate was complaining about having to switch to an AMD gpu for a linux test beds on one of thar videos) but i have 0 experience of my own so i personally cant even pretend to know whats going on there.

Nvidia kills AMD when it comes to OpenGL performance.

To be fair, Intel and IBM are in a league of their own above AMD right now and have been for a while. Nvidia and AMD are more even level players. That said, AMD really needs to produce mature but inspiring advertising. When was the last time you saw AMD out in front helping with a charity for dealing with a crippling sickness or helping aid a country after a disaster like the Haiti earthquake or the Ebola outbreak in Africa? For all of Intel's monopolism (most of it fairly gained in the desktop and server space, less so in mobile, and we'll see if that extends into phones), it's also the biggest when it comes to charitable donations.

Whoever makes the best CPU gets my money.

Nvidia kills AMD when it comes to OpenGL performance.

huh...

04-Maya-Hands.png
05-Maya-Toy-Store.png
06-Lightwave.png

killing apparently doesnt mean what i thought it did...

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

huh...

04-Maya-Hands.png
05-Maya-Toy-Store.png
06-Lightwave.png

killing apparently doesnt mean what i thought it did...

Well NVIDIA is at the top, so yeah.

hahahaha this^^^^^

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

This thread is still going?

this post

mGHh3s7.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Well NVIDIA is at the top, so yeah.

Well on the quadro series they slightly beat the firepro cards. (except the 2nd one where the 5900 is apparently jesus)

1) but this thread isnt about workstation class GPUs

2) all but 1 of the benchmarks the AMD cards win if you only look at consumer cards (which this thread is about)

Sall i'm sayin, yo.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Coming from a 970 then yes, in a crossfire/sli position the 290x would require quite a bit more power, but not much as guru 3d suggests

"GeForce GTX 970 or 980 in 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have an 700~800 Watt power supply unit as minimum."  

for the 290x using the same testing methodology 

"AMD Radeon R9 290x Crossfire - On your average system the cards require you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum."

Tweaktown suggested a 750-1000 watt psu for 290x crossfire.

So if you were on the minimum sized PSU that Guru3d would suggest for a 970SLI you would need a new PSU. If you were at the max you should be fine :)

So yes. there is a difference. but not nearly as big ad one would assume. As far as psu size requirements anyways.

I disagree with Guru3D then, lol.

So far I've only found one user one PCPartPicker builder willing to use anything less than a 700W PSU. I don't doubt the 970 SLI could run with 600W but I don't have the funds or reason to try myself lmao. Anyway, kiermac from PCPP managed to overclock an i5-4690k and run a two GTX 970s on a 650W PSU, so I feel like "700-800W" is a huge overestimate. That's what I would recommend for a three way SLI.

As for the 290X crossfire that does sound right, but people have complained about the 295X2 on an AX1500. That may be a flaw with the 295X2's design rather than the inability to power it, but hey, there's that.

Suggestions from both AMD and NVIDIA for power supply requirements are always far too much, probably to make up for enthusiast chips like the i7-5820k or the generally power hungry FX-8350, but @Syntaxvgm says he's running a single 970 on a 400W PSU. I don't think a 290X would survive on that lol. The R9 290X does draw 300W on load, though.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

lol amd gpu ftw

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Well on the quadro series they slightly beat the firepro cards. (except the 2nd one where the 5900 is apparently jesus)

1) but this thread isnt about workstation class GPUs

2) all but 1 of the benchmarks the AMD cards win if you only look at consumer cards (which this thread is about)

Sall i'm sayin, yo.

Still, what he says is true, NVIDIA wins in the charts you showed.

So far I've only found one user one PCPartPicker builder willing to use anything less than a 700W PSU. I don't doubt the 970 SLI could run with 600W but I don't have the funds or reason to try myself lmao. Anyway, kiermac from PCPP managed to overclock an i5-4690k and run a two GTX 970s on a 650W PSU, so I feel like "700-800W" is a huge overestimate. That's what I would recommend for a three way SLI.

As for the 290X crossfire that does sound right, but people have complained about the 295X2 on an AX1500. That may be a flaw with the 295X2's design rather than the inability to power it, but hey, there's that.

Suggestions from both AMD and NVIDIA for power supply requirements are always far too much, probably to make up for enthusiast chips like the i7-5820k or the generally power hungry FX-8350, but @Syntaxvgm says he's running a single 970 on a 400W PSU. I don't think a 290X would survive on that lol. The R9 290X does draw 300W on load, though.

Yah Guru3D suggests about a 400watt for a single 970

"GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 400~500 Watt power supply unit."

If we assume the 970 is the low end of the suggested PSUs and the 980 is the highest then i'm assuming they suggest a 400watt for a single 970 and a 500watt for a single 980. Which i wont argue isn't impressive, but SLI and Crossfire have both always done very mean things to efficiency.

I call BS on 2 GTX 970s running off 500W, with my GTX 970 and GTX650ti installed I can only just run them (650W PSU), with any overclock being unstable.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Still, what he says is true, NVIDIA wins in the charts you showed.

Lol, fair enough.

Doesn't help that latest beta drivers for AMD have been a mess from what I've heard.

Of course I personally couldnt give a damn about linux so I wont pretend to know that much about it.

nice move amd. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Lol, fair enough.

Doesn't help that latest beta drivers for AMD have been a mess from what I've heard.

Of course I personally couldnt give a damn about linux so I wont pretend to know that much about it.

Linux is an OS that in a lot of cases requires you to dive into terminal to fix problems and to even install programs at times, combine that with no clear all in 1 guide to using it in its entirety and you have one of the reasons that Linux isn't that popular with most people.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Linux is an OS that in a lot of cases requires you to dive into terminal to fix problems and to even install programs at times, combine that with no clear all in 1 guide to using it in its entirety and you have one of the reasons that Linux isn't that popular with most people.

meh, I've played with it and I couldnt care less, just like a majority of gamers out there.

The day Linux proves a viable investment for consumer grade GPU manufactures  is the day I both eat my shoes and they day I will criticize either the red/green team for not having great support. Until then I wont call out either side for not investing time, effort and money into a sinkhole. 

Just my opinion. Which i know isn't popular. 

I call BS on 2 GTX 970s running off 500W, with my GTX 970 and GTX650ti installed I can only just run them (650W PSU), with any overclock being unstable.

I didn't say that a GTX 970 in SLI could run on a 500W PSU, I'm saying it could run on a 600W PSU.

With an overclocked i7-4690X, Anandtech shows that a single GTX 970 reaches about 300W of total system usage, with a 290X at 394W. A second GTX 970 and i7-4770k instead only throws the system up to 468W. A 290X in crossfire reaches... nearly 650W.

GTX-970-SLI-79.jpg

I didn't say that a GTX 970 in SLI could run on a 500W PSU, I'm saying it could run on a 600W PSU.

With an overclocked i7-4690X, Anandtech shows that a single GTX 970 reaches about 300W of total system usage, with a 290X at 394W. A second GTX 970 and i7-4770k instead only throws the system up to 468W. A 290X in crossfire reaches... nearly 650W.

So what you're saying is I could run a 4690 and two 970s off a 600W supply? 

Time to try this, FOR SCIENCE

So what you're saying is I could run a 4690 and two 970s off a 600W supply? 

Time to try this, FOR SCIENCE

Yea, and there should be headroom for some big overclocks. Pretty neat-o and kind of negates the cost of the 970 vs. the R9 290X lol.

I would put this in my signature if I didn't think I'd get flack for it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch