Overheating XFX R9 280x

VRM 1 temps > GPU Core Temps > VRM 2 Temps.

That trend always seem to be correct (at least the VRM 1 > GPU Core if my memory serves me correct) but core temps depend on how demanding the game is/my room ambient temps. I'll go load up a game and report back with some temps for you.

Thanks. Asking since I did some stressing with furmark and also manually stopped my fans while searching for some noise (from case fans) and am a bit scared since last time I checked (this was also before I made my front intakes into exhast and my back exhaust into intake effectively reversing airflow) my temps in Witcher 3 which uses my GPU to max were along the lines of 66*C core and 64*C VRM1 and are now 67*C core and 68*C VRM1. Still good temps but am wondering whether the reverse in airflow can cause such a change?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Thanks. Asking since I did some stressing with furmark and also manually stopped my fans while searching for some noise (from case fans) and am a bit scared since last time I checked (this was also before I made my front intakes into exhast and my back exhaust into intake effectively reversing airflow) my temps in Witcher 3 which uses my GPU to max were along the lines of 66*C core and 64*C VRM1 and are now 67*C core and 68*C VRM1. Still good temps but am wondering whether the reverse in airflow can cause such a change?

TLDR: My computer doesn't like the latest AMD driver so both GTA V and BF4 lockers crash.

So I ran Unigine Valley Benchmark on Extreme HD and got 

Max GPU Core: 76 C

Max VRM 1: 85 C

Max VRM 2: 64 C

Ambient Temp: 29.5C <--- pretty toasty and the cause of higher temps

Note: This is with a XFX 290 DD v4.1... v1 290 DD cards had terribad VRM cooling and would cause crashes because VRM 1 would hit 130 C and do a safety shut down. People with v1 cards can RMA for the latest version card that doesn't have cooling issues.

Also, I don't use furmark, I think it's unnecessary GPU abuse because it hits the GPU with way more power than it'll ever see in games.

As for your temps post fan change, you're probaby getting slightly worse airflow. I'd just change it back to how it was and call it a day.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

TLDR: My computer doesn't like the latest AMD driver so both GTA V and BF4 lockers crash.

So I ran Unigine Valley Benchmark on Extreme HD and got 

Max GPU Core: 76 C

Max VRM 1: 85 C

Max VRM 2: 64 C

Ambient Temp: 29.5C <--- pretty toasty and the cause of higher temps

Note: This is with a XFX 290 DD v4.1... v1 290 DD cards had terribad VRM cooling and would cause crashes because VRM 1 would hit 130 C and do a safety shut down. People with v1 cards can RMA for the latest version card that doesn't have cooling issues.

Also, I don't use furmark, I think it's unnecessary GPU abuse because it hits the GPU with way more power than it'll ever see in games.

As for your temps post fan change, you're probaby getting slightly worse airflow. I'd just change it back to how it was and call it a day.

Eh, I would if I could. The cooler can't fit the correct way cause of RAM heatsinks thus I had to reverse airflow. It currently works and considering how many times I've stopped the case fans abruptly and those are generic sleeves and not brushless ball bearings I'd say the GPU fans should be fine. Also, taking your temps relative to mine, I think mine is actually on the cool side. I do have a room with 22*C ambient temp but yeah. That puts me at ease. + the CPU heat is also being pulled towards the back and maybe heating up the back a bit.

As for furmark, the shop where I bought my PSU used it to stress the system for about an hour. I have not run it for more than 15-20 mins at most. Seeing as everything is running, I'd just like to praise Asus' Digi+ VRM thingies for their capability. I've also been told that modern cards will throttle furmark and other torture tests in order to avoid damage.

Does Aida64 stability test also pose a threat or is it safe? For future reference ofc.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Eh, I would if I could. The cooler can't fit the correct way cause of RAM heatsinks thus I had to reverse airflow. It currently works and considering how many times I've stopped the case fans abruptly and those are generic sleeves and not brushless ball bearings I'd say the GPU fans should be fine. Also, taking your temps relative to mine, I think mine is actually on the cool side. I do have a room with 22*C ambient temp but yeah. That puts me at ease. + the CPU heat is also being pulled towards the back and maybe heating up the back a bit.

As for furmark, the shop where I bought my PSU used it to stress the system for about an hour. I have not run it for more than 15-20 mins at most. Seeing as everything is running, I'd just like to praise Asus' Digi+ VRM thingies for their capability. I've also been told that modern cards will throttle furmark and other torture tests in order to avoid damage.

Does Aida64 stability test also pose a threat or is it safe? For future reference ofc.

Yeah, your 280 should be running cooler than the 290 and your temps seem fine. Aida is great, it's what Linus always uses, and is really a great test for system stability with a new overclock or checking for thermal throttling. Just stay away from Prime 95. That tricks your CPU into pulling a shit ton of voltage causing alot of heat and can fry your CPU depending on your MOBO settings and how much it'll allow. Typically for GPU testing Unigine Valley or Heaven is pretty good as an initial test.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

So my XFX R9 280X is overheating. In every demanding game that i've got, i have to lower the settings below normal, not because of frame rate, rather because temperatures begin to exceed 70C.

Strangely, this issue never occurred when i was running an FX-6300 with a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P.

Thing is, i need some advice as to whether i have enough proof to get the GPU replaced at the store that i bought it from. They're normally quite good with warranties (and believe me, i have way too much experience with that...), but i'm worried that when i take the PC in and tell them that the GPU is overheating and leave it to them for testing, they might come back and tell me that nothing is wrong, and then i'll have to pay a fee, because they worked on it, and no fault was found.

I've read about a large number of overheating issues with this GPU, and many also report that XFX aren't a particularly good brand for GPUs. Something else i'm concerned with is that part of the cooler is loose (as shown in image)

ij2y2uP.jpg

I'm going to add a little info about temps below, but my plan is to provide any info that people ask for.

nb. At 1080p

Ambient Temp: 25-30 C

Battlefield 4: 68-70C @ Ultra, but have to limit fps to 70 and turn of Ambient Occlusion and Post AA, which is annoying.

Crysis 3: Manages a solid 60fps @ medium/high/very high (i tweaked the settings using tweaktown article). But was running at about 75C. Turning down to medium/high, still about 75C, locked to 60fps.

I've sat on this problem for a while, and it's really frustrating for me. The last PC i owned was a CrapDell with XP, and since then, a CrapBook, so the number of issues i've had with this pc have been... an experience...

thanks in advance!

BTW, just looked at my 290 DD, I have a gap there too. your cooler is not loose that's just how the shroud is designed.

Yeah, your 280 should be running cooler than the 290 and your temps seem fine. Aida is great, it's what Linus always uses, and is really a great test for system stability with a new overclock or checking for thermal throttling. Just stay away from Prime 95. That tricks your CPU into pulling a shit ton of voltage causing alot of heat and can fry your CPU depending on your MOBO settings and how much it'll allow. Typically for GPU testing Unigine Valley or Heaven is pretty good as an initial test.

Okay, will stick to Aida then :)

Will also avoid torture tests in the future and I may or may not post a thread and ask everyone's temps using valley or heaven. Might be an interesting comparison to see what the silicone lottery has done ^_^.

It's also very much possible that the intakes were simply blowing cool air onto the VRM's/that portion of the gpu thus cooler air reaching them than the GPU die hence the swap. I mean, I also noticed my drive going from 32*C to 38*C so it's likely warmer air getting pulled in the opposite direction shifting the high-low temps on the gpu itself. Seeing as the die itself is similar/same in terms of temp I doubt I broke the fans by stopping them for a few seconds, hopefully :D

EDIT: Now if I can figure out why the F facebook and twitter force my GPU at max clocks without utilization above 20% :/

These cards do run very hot due to their architecture. 

I'd suggest checking the case airflow.

No, i have this same exact card and can tell you, i have not run into a higher temperature than 70°C. I have the H440 and only one 140mm intake fan; 

@OP what case are you using? 

BTW i have the same gap in the cooler shroud

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

No, i have this same exact card and can tell you, i have not run into a higher temperature than 70°C. I have the H440 and only one 140mm intake fan; 

The gap in the cooler shroud is perfectly normal. It's so that air can escape through the fins on the sides and cool the card. The thing is, the VRMs sometimes don't get accurate accurate cooling. What are your VRM temps compared to the GPU?

Posted this twice but fyi

Silicon lottery, and it depends on so many factors.

Case airflow, aftermarket cooler, ambient temperature... it's impossible to compare one card to another especially in terms of temps unless you own both.

Posted this twice but fyi

Silicon lottery, and it depends on so many factors.

Case airflow, aftermarket cooler, ambient temperature... it's impossible to compare one card to another especially in terms of temps unless you own both.

Silicon lottery has nothing to do with temps. I stated that i have one of the worse cases when it comes to airflow and my ambient temps in my room right now is about 25-30°C. It's the same card - 280x DD. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG