Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LinusTech

What should I review next?

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sorry if it's not enough for a content piece, but this is giving me the itchiest small project itch (I don't even have the monitors to test for, and yet I'm so close to buying it for kicks):

1. some dude over at the eGPU forums managed to feed a Displayport signal to a thunderbolt-compatible connection via an Alpine ridge thunderbolt AIC WITHOUT THE CARD ACTUALLY IN THE PC
    https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2018-mac-mini-wx-910032gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-thunderbolt-3-monitor-output-macos-10-14-1-theitsage/#post-49218
  2. possible to do above except without thunderbolt?
    https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_89582/merkmale.html?setLanguage=de

Yes, but thunderbolt is much better for performance. Thunderbolt, especially in eGPUs was a huge step because it is almost directly PCIe interface. The performance might not differ by a marked amount however.

8 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Yes, but thunderbolt is much better for performance. Thunderbolt, especially in eGPUs was a huge step because it is almost directly PCIe interface. The performance might not differ by a marked amount however.

I meant like (for #1) just adapting any displayport signal to be used with thunderbolt displays (maybe possibly USB-C displayport displays?), even for boards that don't support thunderbolt AICs o_o

(#2 is just adapting a DP to DP-C connection, but not sure if the method in #1 would work in #2)

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I meant like (for #1) just adapting any displayport signal to be used with thunderbolt displays (maybe possibly USB-C displayport displays?), even for boards that don't support thunderbolt AICs o_o

(#2 is just adapting a DP to DP-C connection, but not sure if the method in #1 would work in #2)

You’re just moving the bottleneck. It will work fine though, thunderbolt uses DisplayPort, but like FireWire, thunderbolt needs a compatable socket with a chip.

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

You’re just moving the bottleneck. It will work fine though, thunderbolt uses DisplayPort, but like FireWire, thunderbolt needs a compatable socket with a chip.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2018-mac-mini-wx-910032gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-thunderbolt-3-monitor-output-macos-10-14-1-theitsage/#post-49218

2018-mac-mini-mantiz-venus-wx-9100-egpu-gc-alpine-ridge-thunderbolt-3-monitor-output-powered-on.jpg&key=a5c458031205edb95de480a9546e9f996c3524ddeeeed33eddde603179a0494c

it's not about connecting the card to any PC o_o adapting just the display doesn't require the card populated in the host system

EDIT: i don't get the bottleneck part ._.

it's not about connecting the card to any PC o_o adapting just the display doesn't require the card populated in the host system

EDIT: i don't get the bottleneck part ._.

So the major setback for any eGPU is the bandwidth available to transmit information. This is shown by many TB/TB2/TB3 comparisons. USB-C is only 10Gb/s vs 40Gb/s for TB3. Probably say around 10fps depending on the card. If you connect USB-c to TB like that, you will still only get the performance of USB-c. 

Now on for your USB-c card with DP, will be 10Gb/s and will not function in a Thunderbolt Display, they need proprietary thunderbolt hardware on both relieving ports, even though it has DP. 

https://www.filegear.com

Your personal cloud device.

I found that this device seema cool. You can stream music, and share all your files with friends and storage is not an issue.

At least they claim it to be great.

I would love to see a comparison of the 2019 prosumer ultrabooks. I know Linus uses a Razer Blade Stealth as his daily driver so I imagine this is a topic where he could offer a great comparison for. The current competition that I know of would be, the Blade Stealth, Dell XPS 13, HP Spectre 13, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 & Macbook pro.

I know it is a hell of a list, but I think they would be great to compare, all come with fairly high end intel low power chips (plus the Blades discrete GPU), thunderbolt 3 & CNC machined Aluminium chassis (with the exception of the Lenovo with a Carbon fibre design).

No current large comparisons exist on the market for many of these laptops, It would also be great to see an LTT performance comparison when hooked up to eGPU via thunderbolt for video editing, CAD and even gaming workloads. Particularly with the 2019 Blades price bump I also wonder if one of the compared systems could unseat it as Linus' daily drive machine.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Odd place for my first post, but I'd like to see something kind of specific.

Indie game development. Specifically what's going to get you the most for the money in engines like Unreal, Unity and Cryengine. 

Granted this would be kind of involved since there isn't any real consistent methodology (except maybe making a level of a specific size and rendering shaders and lighting etc.) 

Why? Because the engine uses mutli and single cores for various tasks, so overall what's going to be the breadwinner. 

Intel with it's superior single and quad core performance, ryzen with it's superior cost, threadripper with it's high core counts and value (especially the 19xx tr series, and support for 29xx and presumably 3rd gen TR with a bios update)

Ram? Is 16gb enough (I know the answer already, yes but must be managed properly) or should 32 be the minimum. Any significant benefit to 64gb or more?

Vram? 4gb? 8gb? 11gb? RTX Titan???? Gaming cards do really well in the 3 engines I mentioned. Is a Quadro worth it?

I'm currently working on a project with an i5 7400, 16gb of DDR4 2666, and a GTX 1070 SC. I have also worked with a Microsoft Surface Pro for the same and was doable (albeit not fast and at the poorest graphics quality) so I know you don't need a beast computer to make it work, but what's the sweet spot?

Considering how much you love the LG Gram. This seems worth your time @LinusTech

https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17Z990-RAAS8U1-ultra-slim-laptop

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, CoolerMaster, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Thinkpad T430. Specs to come, too lazy atm

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Monitor: Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Nvidia Edition  (Purchased For $60.00)
Total: $1395.00

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Can you guys make the most ridiculous, idiotic, mess or weird parts as you can find? I know these parts aren't all compatible, but you did have a SODIMM to DIMM converter you showed off this year, the 4th gen HQ i7 BGA -> LGA converted processor, the SD card SSD, and several other weird or "off" products. 

I would love to see just how weird the PC can get and how well it performs. Just kinda enforce why we buy nice parts.

Yo linus do a video about what's "inside your bag ces 2018" it's so clickbait right now and kind fine like the one you already done in the last years

Do a comparison of drawing tablets
(IE 50 dollar VS 100 VS Enthusiast screen built in)

Versus

Tablets

iPad mini VS Surface etc.

See how the computing experience differs. IE "Can I use just a pen if I so desire and never ever type on the keyboard? For daily tasks? Which is the best?"

"How is the drawing experience? Is a 50 dollar tablet on a cheap computer better than using a stylus for an iPad or is an iPad better than an enthusiast drawing tablet on an extreme desktop workstation?"

EDIT:

Comes from my small hobby desire to create digital art. I bought a H950P from Huion & found out with no manual driver installation, I can do quite a lot on it.

LTT Fan Fiction:

PC game list: 

6 hours ago, fpo said:

Do a comparison of drawing tablets
(IE 50 dollar VS 100 VS Enthusiast screen built in)

Yes and then tear down each one, and put it back together and see if it will run.

For a video, it would be cool if you would try to make your own laptop in a sence, buy a Chassis for a laptop, custom cool it with watercooling and somehow cram a small mobo with a gpu that you can mount with a ryzer and mount the fans either down or somehow make it so you cram everything along the display so you have open air. Like it was in msi's laptop i believe.

Not sure if mentioned already but Ryzen mobile would be pretty cool! Mainly because I own one :P 

Main Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 Mobile,12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 250 GB 960 Evo NVME PCIE SSD  1 TB HDD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That) 

BF's Laptop (Blanny): Celeron N3060, HD 400, 4 GB DDR3, 32 GB EMMC, 768p TN Display

2016 HP Stream 11.6 (Reason Why Its Even Listed Is Because I Originally Owned It)

Switch Lite: Turquoise model, 64 GB Samsung Evo SD card

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Review this sweet tablet with 8 cores, at 1.7GHZ 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage for only 80$. Thats one hell of a heavy price per performance spec aint it? https://amzn.to/2S3CHZ8

(Theres loads of these kind of "Too good to be true" tablets as i like to call them, just search on amazon and within 2 minutes you will probably find at least 1)