What should I review next?

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Back then, I think LV SCSI would have been faster....

But it would make for an interesting idea/challenge.

I have a ton of parts laying about, give me some ideas of what you want to see, let me see if I can put something together

For LV SCSI you're still spinning rust.  CompactFlash will work as a native IDE drive with only a passive adaptor and the access times will be a LOT faster.  Granted you would be CHEATING by using a very modern CompactFlash card instead of one of the day.  These days you can get a stupidly fast 32GB CF card with a great controller no problem and for cheap, where as in 1999 or so that would have been a bank breaking proposition.

45 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

CompactFlash will work as a native IDE drive

Yeah but wouldn't you hit the IDE speed cap? Yes, your access times might be low, but SCSI would trounce IDE...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

47 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

For LV SCSI you're still spinning rust.  CompactFlash will work as a native IDE drive with only a passive adaptor and the access times will be a LOT faster.  Granted you would be CHEATING by using a very modern CompactFlash card instead of one of the day.  These days you can get a stupidly fast 32GB CF card with a great controller no problem and for cheap, where as in 1999 or so that would have been a bank breaking proposition.

Compactflash cards are becoming a tad more expensive though. I use IDE to SD adapters these days. Works rather well with my Compaq 486 machine.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah but wouldn't you hit the IDE speed cap? Yes, your access times might be low, but SCSI would trounce IDE...

ATA33 and ATA66 are both more than fast enough for Win98. SCSI is fun to play with, but the drives are loud and drivers can be messy with w9x.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Who cares about speed?  With how large applications were then, the speed is really only an advantage in large data transfers.  For running applications, the access time is your winner.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Who cares about speed?  With how large applications were then, the speed is really only an advantage in large data transfers.  For running applications, the access time is your winner.

Weren't we talking about building an old server, or was just that the 1st images, and I'm confused?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The Australian top of the line metabox gaming prime s laptop ??

I dare you to review an old AMD laptop - like the ProBook 6475b. With an eGPU 4 da lolz xD 

Hello Linus,

Would you please create videos for the following?:

1. VGA Water Cooling performance vs. Air Cooling performance (we've seen the results for cpu's, but what about gpu's? And are certain gpu blocks better than others?)

2. Could you do a video on "What is Microsoft .NET"? (like, an "As Fast As Possible").

Thanks!

On 5/7/2018 at 8:57 AM, DildorTheDecent said:

>a legitimate, boxed, physical copy of Windows.

An ancient relic from the past.

I say go older.

Windows 3.1 and the installation of it off its floppy discs.  :P  Find an old Packard Bell to use.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

A review of the expensive Hydrogen One by Red which costs $1600 and I hope it will be Brandon who does the review since it's a camera-centric phone and compare it to other high end phones like the iPhone X, Google Pixel 2 XL, Samsung Galaxy S9+, Huawei P20 Pro in camera features and hopefully answer the question, "Who is the Hydrogen One good for?"

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/19/17372510/red-hydrogen-one-smartphone-hands-on-photos-video

https://www.cnet.com/news/i-saw-the-red-hydrogen-one-phone-with-my-own-eyes/

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Hello Linus,

Would you please create videos for the following?:

1. VGA Water Cooling performance vs. Air Cooling performance (we've seen the results for cpu's, but what about gpu's? And are certain gpu blocks better than others?)

2. Could you do a video on "What is Microsoft .NET"? (like, an "As Fast As Possible").

Thanks!

Ummm hey EVERYONE, @LinusTech does not come here or look at the posts, this thread is dead! stop wasting your time here and bother him on social media

(*Sorry to be rude, but its true, Linus doesn't come here.......*)

Printers... 

I know you dont normally review printers... but maybe do a printer round up for Good, Better, Best for home or home office?

Color, B&W, brand vs brand, Laser vs Inkjet use cases and whatever else that you can squeeze into it or do 2 videos to cover the versus on use cases... just ideas. You can almost do a small series to cover all aspects but then again that may more than needed. I could use (personally) a review of some of the more business grade printer/copiers.

I could have used one a few years ago and I know some people that would watch it today with some of the newer stuff that has come out.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 5/20/2018 at 8:21 PM, TiresomeToe933 said:

Ummm hey EVERYONE, @LinusTech does not come here or look at the posts, this thread is dead! stop wasting your time here and bother him on social media

(*Sorry to be rude, but its true, Linus doesn't come here.......*)

He does and so does the other LMG Staff. Linus is actually very engaged in the Forum and comments/replies to topics. 

LMG gets some of its ideas on what to review from its audience. This is the reason Linus started this topic is to get what the viewer base wants to see. They may not do all the suggestions but there are good ideas here and they have used some of these.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What about the Minibox pico PSU: https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Box-picoPSU-160-XT-Power-Mini-ITX-Supply/dp/B005TWE6B8

I was trying to build a tiny Ryzen APU-based media/gaming PC, and came across this power supply intended for in-car PCs. Since it doesn't do any AC/DC conversion itself, it means you can use an external one so that you don't take up space in the case (Xbox 360-style). Idk if the 160 watts claimed would be good enough for gaming though. Still, the idea of looking for a case without having to worry about the power supply size is enticing :D

11 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

He does and so does the other LMG Staff. Linus is actually very engaged in the Forum and comments/replies to topics. 

LMG gets some of its ideas on what to review from its audience. This is the reason Linus started this topic is to get what the viewer base wants to see. They may not do all the suggestions but there are good ideas here and they have used some of these.

Sorry then, never saw him speak in my life on the forum.........

On 1/29/2015 at 4:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Why not do a review on the best microphone for -100 and 100+ euro

My main rig  Shardsedge

☟ INFO & SPECS 

• Information:

This build is made for video editing, Gaming and livestreaming.

probably 65% of this build has been bought used.

• Specifications:

CPU  AMD Ryzen 7 1700

GPU  Sapphire RX 580 PULSE 4GB

SSD ✦ Toshiba TR200 240GB

HDD ✦ WD Black 160GB 2.5" + WD BLUE 1TB

PSU ✦ Corsair RM750X

RAM ✦ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 (8GB) 3000Mhz

CASE ✦ Corsair Crystal 460X

MOBO MSI X370 SLI Plus

My old pc build  Smoke

☟ INFO & SPECS 

• Information:

This build was made for gaming especially, it was my second build.

i had some struggles livestreaming on it because the CPU just wasn't good enough for that.

(I do not have this build anymore)

• Specifications:

CPU ✦ Intel i5 6500

GPU  Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 4G D5

SSD ✦ Kingston SSDNow v300 120GB

HDD ✦ WD Blue 1TB

PSU ✦ Corsair CX450M

RAM ✦ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 (8GB) 2400Mhz

CASE ✦ Sharkoon S25-V

MOBO ✦ MSI H110M ECO

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 3:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

What about scrapyard wars server edition?

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass