What should I review next?

Searching the web, I've seen a verity of opinions on M.2 heat sinks and how to install them. I think it would be good video topic with tests:

-Some say m.2 were designed to operate within safe parameters as-is and do not need heat sinks. Furthermore some MFRs like Samsung use the product label on the chips to dissipate heat via a copper embedded within the label.
-Some say if said m.2 has copper embedded label to leave it on while installing heat sink.
-Some say to leave the label on when installing heat sink because removing the label voids warranty.
-Some say remove label, because it will limit heat transfer into the heat sink when installed.
-Some say don't bother because "required" label removal voids warranty

I personally own the style below, found on amazon for $12 but have not yet installed it.
51SZhVTTh9L._SL1000_.jpg

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

They tried that a long time ago, it went very poorly.

Yes, but 4 years ago... They're a lot smarter now with a lot more money to put into it. 

Most research labs do multi-room water cooling with chilled water (with many multi-kW devices).

If you do it right it's fantastic.  

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

They tried that a long time ago, it went very poorly.

Last I checked, whole room water cooling was mostly a success but failed due to corrosion and all the loops got gunked up.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Last I checked, whole room water cooling was mostly a success but failed due to corrosion and all the loops got gunked up.

It was successful except that it failed. Right.

Start pressing the fact we are stagnant in 64 bit.  Where's 128 bit? Because of this, we need a video where you bust the status quo on whats considerd an acceptable usable computer for the average user, or small buisness. There's alot of old cpus (ex: phenom 2's, core 2 duo/quad with big enough cache) out there that can still edit digital audio (pro tools, adobe audition) Not saying play games on it, except doom95 or try fps on csgo... why would anyone use google chrome when they make firefox? 8gb of ram is still acceptable but it's time to encourage people to step up off the 4 and 6gb... put an older workstation gpu amd/ati firepro v5900 or nvidia equivalent quadro on it and overclock it. Alot of people get by on 2 cores with a no vram ssd. Single core seems to stay relevant even with all these excessive cores.. With all that "junk" you could justify a sketchy power supply, and using one of those paper thin rosewell cases. Which i would still not recommend the rosewill scm-01....

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

It was successful except that it failed. Right.

That's because they mixed metals, afaik. 

9 hours ago, Animal901 said:

Start pressing the fact we are stagnant in 64 bit.  Where's 128 bit?

not needed... 

Because of this, we need a video where you bust the status quo on whats considerd an acceptable usable computer for the average user, or small buisness. There's alot of old cpus (ex: phenom 2's, core 2 duo/quad with big enough cache) out there that can still edit digital audio (pro tools, adobe audition) Not saying play games on it, except doom95 or try fps on csgo... 

Yes, and? They're old and not many people want to actually buy those systems...

why would anyone use google chrome when they make firefox?

why would anyone use firefox when they make microsoft edge?

8gb of ram is still acceptable but it's time to encourage people to step up off the 4 and 6gb... cm-01....

i ran out of 8GB just with a couple chrome tabs... 16GB is the standard nowadays, it's not even that expensive...

put an older workstation gpu amd/ati firepro v5900 or nvidia equivalent quadro on it and overclock it. 

who would watch this?

Single core seems to stay relevant even with all these excessive cores.. 

like a single core CPU? those lag in Windows 10.....

With all that "junk" you could justify a sketchy power supply

just no

unless you want to start a housefire

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

not needed... 

i ran out of 8GB just with a couple chrome tabs... 16GB is the standard nowadays, it's not even that expensive...

who would watch this?

just no

It said not to be a dick,  but with your snarky slow keyboard warrior quote wit, nervermind: Nobody uses Microsoft edge. Nobody real. I bet you'd say internet explorer is fine next.  Stop compensating so hard. Nobody actually cares about your computer but you.  Your responses were generic dribble like you're the only one watching rileys videos, but you don't actually know riley failed at making a decent old pc. So idk what crawled up your ass.. Cheap power supplies don't cause house fires.  People that don't know what they're doing create fires. Ive got tons of builds with an Ebay psu, and they do just fine. Especially without you. Buy what old systems? Alot of that stuff is given away.  Its still hanging around only a true consumer would assume spending money.  Linus makes tons of pointless videos and yet here you are. The second i read Microsoft edge i knew your response would be meaningless.  Try not to be a compensating dick to the next person you quote.

7 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

not needed... 

who would watch this?

just no

To add further where the hell do you get off thinking im talking about something like a Pentium 3. Did you know athlon64x2 can run 64bit windows 10? Did you know cinebench benchs your single core speed? Did you know most  programs only need single core.  Did you know amd workstation video cards run csgo alright? I cannot believe you actually thought i was talking about a single core cpu.. did you know 64bit came out back in 1975? Jeeez kid

1 hour ago, Animal901 said:

To add further where the hell do you get off thinking im talking about something like a Pentium 3. Did you know athlon64x2 can run 64bit windows 10? Did you know cinebench benchs your single core speed? Did you know most  programs only need single core.  Did you know amd workstation video cards run csgo alright? I cannot believe you actually thought i was talking about a single core cpu.. did you know 64bit came out back in 1975? Jeeez kid

you are just providing false info here

most programs can at least use quad cores, most even more, windows can run on one core, programs on another

and you know, I as a psu guy think you can easily start a housefire with a cheap psu

37 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you are just providing false info here

most programs can at least use quad cores, most even more, windows can run on one core, programs on another

and you know, I as a psu guy think you can easily start a housefire with a cheap psu

Time to uprgarde that old electrical.  That's what linus needs to do next.  Explain how house power works.  How to properly put a load on your house.  

1 minute ago, Animal901 said:

Time to uprgarde that old electrical.  That's what linus needs to do next.  Explain how house power works.  How to properly put a load on your house.  

we were on psu's, not on house power

that has little to do with what either i and @LienusLateTips meant

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

we were on psu's, not on house power

that has little to do with what either i and @LienusLateTips meant

I just built another scrap computer while you were typing.. cheap solid gear psu. Works great. Old cpu has a 6mb cache. Works alright for minecraft. Its plugged into a dedicated outlet. 

12 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

I just built another scrap computer while you were typing.. cheap solid gear psu. Works great. Old cpu has a 6mb cache. Works alright for minecraft. Its plugged into a dedicated outlet. 

alright, you'll learn it the hard way then

20 hours ago, Duckster said:

Review a vacuum 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Proper showcasing of WiFi 6, by means of upgrading all PCs to Intel WiFi 6 AX200, and even adding WiFi to desktops by means of Fenvi FV102 M.2 to PCIe adapter.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:01 AM, LienusLateTips said:

A couple of Chrome tabs? I've ran 30+ Chrome tabs, multiple large MS Word documents, and many other programs all at once with 8GB of RAM.

And whether or not it's expensive, that's up to debate. Not everyone can afford 16GB of RAM, and I hope you realize that.

es, and? They're old and not many people want to actually buy those systems...

Considering that ~30% of people are still using dual core CPUs, I'd say there are people in the market for older systems. (Source)

On 5/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, LukeSavenije said:

just no

And how often do housefires occur with cheap PSUs?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

8 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

And how often do housefires occur with cheap PSUs?

not that often, normally they just catch fire on their own

but it does happen...

Could you review the steelseries arctis headphones (The Arctis 3 Bluetooth in particular)  News outlets rave about them, but user reviews are a very mixed bag, so I want to hear what yall have to say.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Pro vs. consumer GPU comparison for architectural software!

I would really appreciate a comparison between how Quadra cards and Geforce cards (and the AMD equivalents) perform in some of the most common architectural softwares. Such comparisons are surprisingly absent on the internet and a review from LTT would really fill in this gap. I've listed the most popular architectural softwares below (in Sweden). Feel free to add more.

The architectural industry (including my company) spends a lot of money on workstations with Quadra cards. Despite the lack of facts supporting this choice (?). Do we even have to do this or could we save A LOT of money? I know that some CAD softwares oriented towards engineering (e.g. SolidWorks) benefit from Quadra cards (I saw Linus review on this topic), but this request is for architectural softwares specifically.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen you review wifi and powerline products but never MOCA adapters. Could you please do a thorough review on MOCA 2.0? Amazon has both the Actiontec brand as well Motorola. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not a review suggestion, rather a DIY idea.

Making a 144Hz monitor from a Laptop replacement screen and a controller board and testing the latency and color. Detailing on how hard is it to do.

Helpful content: