What should I review next?

Review a phat vape ? 

Hey Linus!

It might sound boring, but a "Best all rounder laptop" video would be very interesting.

I dream of a laptop capable of gaming but with a decent battery life, decent portability and a good + keyboard to use.

These things are not easily found together in the same machine.

This comes out of personal interest, but I think it could be fun for your viewers and a way to gather new adepts =)

Side note: the new Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro GTX will be released in China later today. The top end  version has an 8750 + 1060 and 16 GB RAM.

Spoiler

First post here, so, congratulations are in order. I've been watching your videos on and off for several years now, and your channels are the only non music ones I actually subscribed to. Keep up the good work!

I found this crazy CPU on dells website while messing around with some friends and i thought you should do a Holy Sh!t on it because its not practical at all and really high end. But what I found was weird was that on the intel ark page about it, they say it can use DDR3 and DDR4 and I wanted to see you try that.

Here's a link to Intel ark : https://ark.intel.com/products/96900/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8894-v4-60M-Cache-2_40-GHz?q=Xeon E7-8894

Edited by Ghostsquidy
Grammer

SOOO... I was working on a customer's computer the other day, and it appeared the pump had stopped on their corsair AIO cooler... So I replaced it... Later i thought, maybe i could fix this, or salvage some parts, like the rad... Now, this pump/waterblock & Rad/Fan combo unit was NEVER touched... It still had the factory black corrugated plastic hoses on it... After tearing it apart, i learned this 120mm AIO Rad was Aluminum...  I remembered seeing a LTT's video that showed they were making these out of Alum, but didn't think the video was that old... So i took apart the CPU Block / Pump combo part only to find that the H2O Block.... WAS COPPER!!!!  (Maybe they filled the system with corrosion inhibitor)

So Corsair was Mixing Copper w/ Alum all along... 
Why the story... I'd like to see a video where Linus destroys (dissassembles) a bunch of AIO's in search of whether or not they are really copper / alum or mixed...

Bottom1.jpg

Bottom3.jpg

Corsair.jpg

Rad Side.jpg

Rad top.jpg

WaterBlock1.jpg

Waterblock2.jpg

I have a weird idea, and I don't think it'll work because it would be bleeding edge but it's also the kind of challenge that keeps me grinding my gears.

In the home theatre world, you now have things like 11.1 surround sound. It is derived from decoding a 7.1 to multichannel in a similar way to what Dolby Pro Logic II did to stereo sound to make it appear surround-sound.

There are a few standards for more than 7.1 surround: Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D and DTS:X.

Now as far as I know, there are no consumer PC sound cards that can decode these things. And, no game titles that support this feature as far as I know.

However, I found out that some titles on Xbox support Atmos... I don't know what kind (there also is a headphone specific Atmos enhancement).

Imagine it is the 11.1 surround Atmos, if you have a compatible receiver, suddenly you also have height information from the audio!

I recall lots of moments where a FortNite streamer says "He's in this house, but I don't know if he is above, or below me."

If you can hear it, you have an advantage over the people that don't.

If you can review this, at the least you had a great surround sound gaming experience (heck, mix in a surround monitor setup that would make the 12K gaming setup useful again) and at the best you have discovered something that gives you the heads up (literally) in games.

(C)(R)(TM) :P

No signature found

Here's something I just came across...  You could test which one works best:

The STOCK Intel IHS:

This one available on AMAZON which claims 9 DEGREE's... HOLY $4!7!!!!! (Below)

This one from Rocket Cool which says its 15% larger than Intel's IHS... (Below)

Vs. NAKED (I'm thinking about doing this myself now, But IDK if it'd be any good or not)

https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Instead-Protector-Cooling-Generation/dp/B07FFMMMSD/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535143056&sr=1-24&keywords=delid%2Btool&th=1

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/copper-ihs-for-lga-1150-1151

I would like to see a segment on affordable 10gig networking. There is a fancy new 12 port Qnap 10gig switch for $570, model QSW-1208-8C. I think there is a smaller version QSW-804-4C coming soon.  There are also a couple $200 2x10gig, 6x1gig switches on amazon. It would be interesting to see how well they integrate into an existing 1gig network. To establish link speed expectations, you could do performance measurements with different length and type cables, as well as power consumption for idle/no links, idle with links, and during a full speed transfer. I would also like to know more about your (managed?) 10gig switch too. Today people are more NAS dependent than ever and transferring bigger and bigger files everyday. The move to 10gig seems logical.

14 minutes ago, paylesspizzaman said:

I would like to see a segment on affordable 10gig networking.

I second this.

I run a custom NAS hooked up to the network over 1gbe, so transfer speeds are capped at around 115MB/s, when I know the HDDs themselves can do over 200MB/s sustained (Seagate ironwolfs). There's no point putting a 60GB SSD in the system to act as a cache for the array due to the network limitations, but I'd be interested in seeing some affordable 10gbe networking solutions (PCIe add in card + network switch) so that I can utilise the full speeds of the drives (and potentially cache) over the network.

The reason I want to do this is because I'd love to be able to remove the [noisy] HDDs in my system that I use as game drives and move that storage to the NAS in another room for a quieter PC. But at the same time I don't want to sacrifice the speed of the drives any further and limit them to the network speed of 1gbps/~115MB/s, which could potentially hurt game loading times.

But when you're looking at $150 per 10gbe network card (2 required; 1 for PC and 1 for NAS), plus at least another $300+ for switch with 2x 10gbe ports, it really doesn't make much sense - would be better off spending that money on a couple of high volume SSDs to achieve the same silent operation and even better performance.

So would be curious to see if there are any cheaper alternatives, and maybe even things like bonding multiple 1gig connections together.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

That "one wheel" thing does look really cool! I would also like to see some smoke and carnage from cheapo power supplies.

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

I second this.

I run a custom NAS hooked up to the network over 1gbe, so transfer speeds are capped at around 115MB/s, when I know the HDDs themselves can do over 200MB/s sustained (Seagate ironwolfs). There's no point putting a 60GB SSD in the system to act as a cache for the array due to the network limitations, but I'd be interested in seeing some affordable 10gbe networking solutions (PCIe add in card + network switch) so that I can utilise the full speeds of the drives (and potentially cache) over the network.

The reason I want to do this is because I'd love to be able to remove the [noisy] HDDs in my system that I use as game drives and move that storage to the NAS in another room for a quieter PC. But at the same time I don't want to sacrifice the speed of the drives any further and limit them to the network speed of 1gbps/~115MB/s, which could potentially hurt game loading times.

But when you're looking at $150 per 10gbe network card (2 required; 1 for PC and 1 for NAS), plus at least another $300+ for switch with 2x 10gbe ports, it really doesn't make much sense - would be better off spending that money on a couple of high volume SSDs to achieve the same silent operation and even better performance.

So would be curious to see if there are any cheaper alternatives, and maybe even things like bonding multiple 1gig connections together.

I didn't think about bonding 1gig connections. That could be the most viable and cost effective option, assuming it works. Not sure what hardware and setup is required though. I like this idea as most people have slower NAS boxes, not 12+ drive nvme optane boxes that can easily saturate 10gig (Linus!). So jealous!

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

I second this.

What OS do you run? I'm trying unraid right now, but so far I'm not really impressed. How is it not possible to create a second array or set a quota on a share? I have some network cameras that won't recognize space over 250gb. I'm not going to buy a second key just to setup a second array in a VM. FreeNAS likes to spin up drives, Windows 10 does too, Windows 7 kept messing up, Windows Server 2012 is what I am using at the moment.

I was watching the mineral oil cooled pc vids again recently and wondered if you could make one using 3M Novec instead of oil?

Combined GPU, RAM, Storage docking solutions for laptops. :)

Plug in your laptop to turn it into a gaming / rendering beast.

On 2-9-2018 at 4:49 PM, pmgranadosg said:

Chilling Mineral Oil PC!!!! :)

I would love to see you do a fully submerged mineral oil build ?

On 9/2/2018 at 7:49 AM, pmgranadosg said:

Chilling Mineral Oil PC!!!! :)

2 hours ago, alphamax86 said:

I would love to see you do a fully submerged mineral oil build ?

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Linus I really appreciate the video you did years ago of 3d Vision Surround projectors, however, I would like to see you try to get the wasabi mango to do 3d vision and please do a recap of the compatibility of 3d projectors and monitors to nvidia 3d vision in 2018. With DLP, there is something about projector .inf to get blu-ray 3d to do frame sequential 1080p for movies, and games up to 37fps in stereoscopic, but actually if you remember the projectors don't typically want to do 3d above 720p. I believe this has something to do with HDMI and DLP licensing?

I want to see that wasabi mango as well as the asus do 3d vision, please.

Hey Linus,

I was wondering if you've done videos on COM express modules, and if you could see if they can be used as SBCs. I've been looking at small form factor builds, and found COMe boards relatively recently, but wasn't sure if these could function as stand alone systems. 

I have particular interest in CongaTec's new Type 6 board that uses the Ryzen v1605b APU. If you could do something on this subject, that would be awesome, and if these can function as SBCs, then it opens a whole new world of options for SFF builds.

This might be a little left-field for you guys, but how about a soldering iron round-up? Or something in general about what makes a good soldering set-up?

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

Please 'review' The Verge video on how to build a PC ..or rather how not to.

:P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |