What should I review next?

How about the new (well fairly new) asus rgb monitors.

Im not sure what this signature thing is but it could use some RG

On 1/28/2015 at 7:24 PM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Can you do content piece on external graphics cards for mpcie,express card,mxm. None thunderbolt stuff.

On 1/28/2015 at 10:30 PM, gibbsy81 said:

Not really a review but whole room water cooling part 5????

HOLY BALLS YES! Whole Warehouse Watercooling lol 

Not sure if you are still looking for ideas to make tech videos Linus but i might have something that would be a perfect fit, relatively new tech, not many manufacturers on the market and constantly evolving. You can dm me on your official discord, have the same username.

I think it would be really cool to see that ASUS dual socket board that allows overclocking. It would be extra coolio to have a video that includes more than one dual socket boards that allow overclocking. Both EVGA and ASUS have a few boards like this. I don't know if other companies do but I'm sure I would know more if there were an informational video that talked about it ;) 

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Those PCIe riser cards. Found one that is powered for some reason, and was wondering how awful the uSB to pcie ones would be for gaming

PCIe 16x to 16x Powered Flexible Riser Extender Cable with Molex (Bitcoin Mining / Gaming) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQB1RIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.CBQAbHFWCJCB

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

I came up with something funny. It's the ultimate answer to bit coin mining... sort of.

console mining!! Explore if and how it would/could be possible to mine on a console. to make it interesting explore a plethora of ways to do it. from single machine to modified stripped down single machine, to daisy chaining multiple consoles(new and old potentially), to sodering things to the boards to make it work just like a board designed for mining or whatever can be imagined... Wether likely to work or be efficient or not!

There should be fairly limitless ways to mod it to make it work with an OS or even it's native OS and work. I wonder how many ways you can OC or UC one... Or can you soder on new parts like bios if it needs to be modified to work. It doesn't have to be limited to things that are easy for people to do. Go by the hypothetical and easy or funny ways to do it. Maybe there something people would miss. running all your old gaming consoles daisy chained together and under clocked could be funny. Maybe explore ways to reduce wear and tear so they can still be used later if it's possible. 8)

I wonder how much you could get from an intelevision or atari 2600?! The only downside is that I may never be able to rebuy my old ps1 or other old console if it ever takes off. Did I just kill of retro gaming for the world?! Can you imagine the limited supply of old gaming consoles vanishing because of the idiot minters buying them all up?! 8\ Good bye classic hardware! 8(...

They'll probably start stripping them out if any are powerful enough to act as a mainboard. Hopefully that is only PS2 or much later... If it's only crappy modern xbox and playstation consoles that is not so bad. Haven't been good games since the late 90's. And that is pushing it.

A cheap mans mining rig.. A free PS2 with ram and all installed and as many vid cards it can support... I wonder. maybe some old free junk cards... Or just the onboard one. that is getting into old systems though potentially and daisy chaining... I wonder if any of the older hardware is efficient for mining or other odd tasks... Even if it's relatively weak. I can see 500 consoles tied together and the death of all old hardware in sight.. I feel sick.

Of course if we are repurposing or modifying sufficiently there is a whole other range of usable things. Like toasters... Could you build a basic circuit to do the minimum with low enough power?! you can always lower the voltage over parts of the baord. Who says you need a micro board or mainboard.. Maybe a more old fashion approach where you can modify things more easily. Maybe steal some important parts off of a needed board and control the flow. Or bread board it...(possibly reducing connection to save power. BTW, if you can breadboard it you can hypothetically use a toaster. Maybe if you take the CPU socket off and reduce it to just the main chips to save a little power and or cut down the mainboard....) I wonder if there any any odd cases where this could be usable. How much of the motherboard and CPU are being waisted or are uneeded compared to something a bit larger but more to the point. Maybe it could break even in power consumption if used in the right way in a worst case usable scenario. (AKA could you strip down the needed functionality with other hardware laying around. computer related or not. It doesn't take much to act as an electrical line or to technically compute something.)

I was thinking there must be smaller more power efficient things to use. then I started to wonder why phones aren't repurposes as the mainboard for gpu miners. If you can only make it work as the CPU ram and get a second cheap board to hold the connection for the GPU's why not save money with old phones. Or put a bunch of old phones together for this purpose before recycling them. then you get money out of the before using them up completely for scrap.. If done properly it could help recycling centers make money. You could potentially do the same with other slightly older hardware if you can mofidy them enough to make them useful.

Maybe just make a setup where you can hook the phone up with one of it's connectors and plug and play as keyboard/mainboard/moniter/etc. That same type of setup could be modified for consoles or toasters or anything else.

Maybe if linus took all his old hardware laying around and connected it all together and used it to, in one form or another, mine he could see how much money he could hypothetically make with his extra junk. Especially the free stuff or the stuff he's going to throw out. I wonder if that place he used to work at could have done that instead of auctioning. Or course if those prices were as high as the video is saying I imaging it wouldn't matter.

I noticed a lot of those auction guys were very foreign... Is there a really good exchange rate atm or just some really rich people who are buying stuff out for them?! These things are often explainable after a little digging.

Also thinking... What if you reduced the GPU and everything down just to the basics with some simple modifications. How much could you cut out and save electricity and other things to make GPU mining more efficient if you applied a little know how?! Call it, "Alternative mining!" How much space computation and/or energy could you get/save for the same area?

Come to think of it, if you pulling those machine parts you are using a potentially wide array of computing devices and chips. You could setup a custom and possibly constantly customizable setup for different compute devices for various things and keep up with the circumstances. Instead of thinking of it like buying a rig. Think of it as maintaining a rig and continual mining. Scavenge some old chips and slap them together in an array to mine x coins etc on the cheap or free and just take care of electricty costs with old parts off boards. I didn't mean sell them but that is also an idea if someone will buy parts that have been pulled apart for scrap. But that is an idea also. At that point you might as well also make your own solar panels or something to help reduce or cover electrical costs... Alternative energy with your alternative mining... 8d Frankenmining at this point I guess. Wait till AI chips are real....

Although I would think AI chips would raise the electricity. Unless they can be used to cover your mainboard etc for less electricity... If you trust them!

I don't get AI. we don't trust other people with any of the things we are likely going to see AI applied to. And it's even easier to get them to steal from you..

Edit: Could you use something like old dvd readers or whatnot to mine?! There are lots of things hypothetically usable for things they are not superficially intended for. Many of which used to be used for these or similar alternative uses...

Panasonic Toughbook 33 (CF-33).

Only two big outlets made videos on this newer CF-33 model, Engadget and CNET, i think it would be a good idea to see how model would fare in Linus' tests and well, its a rugged laptop, it would be cool to see a hardcore durability test take place!

And its a convertible:

panasonic-tb-cf-33-main.jpg.6e23e6d8379bc20445faf70ed580b9f0.jpg

Toughbooks always fascinated me, for whatever reason.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I got a crazy one for you: there's a famous open-source program known as HTCondor which allows you to make your own distributed computing system with as many connected devices as you want, and allow you to create your own defined jobs for the system to do.

Now, take as many computers you can run (and considering how many LTT has available, this can be a metric crap ton of computers), and run them through HTCondor and benchmark it. You could theoretically get insanely high CPU scores on benchmarking apps, and you can also go overkill and see how quickly you can render a video, or see how many CPU's and GPU's you can get running all together for crypto mining.

I want People to send me their Ivy and up CPU's for delid/relid service, and fix Intel's goof of not very good Tim Lol

Brand name parts vs parts from AliExpress

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

To help with presentation and find solutions to a lot of the frustration involved. what if linus studied the formal art of clowning?! It has many things to do between moments like juggling. It has many ways of expressing anger and many emotions involved in day to day things in more interesting but possibly similar ways. And it provides many ideas on how to present videos that I have a feeling are very related to how most thing on TV are done. I mean that literally and jokingly.

Here is 2 seconds of googling:

http://junkee.com/heres-everything-i-learned-at-french-clown-school/49170

http://hpplc.indiana.edu/ohp/ClownScience.shtml

But I would look for free online resources to start. 8) I believe there are many related arts and styles. And you could always go into things like miming or older version involving jesters methods over centuries if you can find the information. It would probably fit his style. 8) I think in some aspects he's already doing some of these things.

1. Imagine while he's sitting in the chair talking about posting server boards, instead he has a clown makup a wig and nose. Instead he overly exaggerates frustration a little more for presentation. 8) at some point he puts his head into his hands or facepalms himself and his nose squeeks. it culd be post modern post internet clownery using modern memes as references. he cuold try to move the art more into the 21st century. fitting considering the type of content in his videos. It also provides a buttload of means. Or is it memes... He could also provide demonstration of the horror story of french canadian vs french clowing and miming... 8d

I don't actually know the difference. I'm just guessing.

But her is a french canadian clown!

Got a few suggections for future videos.

- I'm gaming with a GTX 1080 ti with an x58 motherboard running a PciE2 connection. Is there any point of upgrading to a Pcie 3.0? Do a 1080ti really need higher bandwith? I can run qhd 165 hz. But my bottleneck doesn't seem to be the PciE connection. So why do we need it?

- Top 10 best compact cases that can hold a full-size graphic card and watercooling. 

- Maybe have a build series where you make your own custom cases. 

- How many adapters can you connect before the DP/HDMI signal is unusable

- Reviewing the newest tech with RGB. A lot of new gear has been released in the last year. Why not review what you can build with it all. RGB powersupply is one of them. 

- Best tech for under 10$

Hope that some of these ideas might be of interest. 

-Richard

@LinusTech

This looks pretty interesting. Would be a great follow on to your Minning Adventure. 

ECC memory minning. 

This guy seems to have an interesting set up. 

Edited by JohnnyCorporalTech
Forgot link XD

4 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

@LinusTech

This looks pretty interesting. Would be a great follow on to your Minning Adventure. 

ECC memory minning. 

This guy seems to have an interesting set up. 

LOL, Dont mind me. Just made myself look like an idiot. 

Just realised it was an April fools Joke. xD

A vintage GPU like the ATI Rage 128 Pro.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

Has anyone compared Conductonaut to Homemade or off the shelf Galinstan? I think it would be a good idea for a video, since Galinstan is very easy to make at home(just combine Gallium, Indium and Tin) If I wind up dead it's because Big Liquid wanted me silenced :P 

Since you guys already made a video about making a custom keyboard with a Satan PCB, how about making a handwired one next?

Preferably a very kinky one with Matias or Tai Hao Alps mount switches, just for the hell of it.

Here's a thread on Geekhack about doing something like this:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87689.0

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Could you please cover a video about what "NVIDIA Boost 3.0" is? 

How it works

Pros, Cons, 

Etc. 

I'm not pro, I've no idea what criteria. LOL Just need to understand what this thing does, since I cannot see it, but apparently it's there?

I've watched other videos, but nobody explains it better than you do. Even an idiot could become a computer scientist with how simple, yet informative your videos are. I swear lol.

I think it would be really interesting for you to do some short reviews on PC's belonging to members of the community. 

You could even combine a few into one video.

Obviously it can't be a proper build video, but I am sure a lot of people (myself included) would be interested to hear your thoughts on their choice of parts, what you would change, how it has all come together, etc. 

Those you are reviewing / commenting on, will provide pictures, part lists, bench scores if needed. LMG can obviously dictate the requirements around these to avoid dropping production values too much. We aren't going to have red cameras at home, but you can make sure photos aren't taken using a potato. 

Could be quite helpful for those looking to build new machines to get an idea on different options and how they would work out. Essentially you could show people how a particular build could look in a certain case as well if aesthetics are high on their priority list.  Half the forum posts are people seeking opinions on potential parts and builds, so there should be a reasonable level of interest around this type of video. 

Happy to put my hand up if you want to trial it out with a recent 7820x build I did.