What should I review next?

yes asus, acer, and other brands have good laptops but this is a laptop that i like and i wonder what you think of it 

cheap wireless gaming keyboard or wireless mechanical keyboard. I only know CORSAIR K63 Wireless and Logitech G613.

Just saw this on Engadget and thought it would be a neat update to the DIY speakers from a year ago...  Would be neat to see if a $190.00 development board and a Raspberry Pi makes for as good of an experience as a pre-built speaker system.

Make your own WiFi/Bluetooth speakers from a set of non-connected speakers:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/15/bang-and-olufsen-beocreate-amp/

Original DIY Speaker Video:

On 1/28/2015 at 10:24 PM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Reviewing old consoles for there time. Id like to here some thoughts on the PS1 and GameCube.

Do a reverse engineering flick, where you take apart a commercial product like a laptop or uber small pc.

3D print a desk, like the desk you built outta wood and placed the pc inside the desk.

his may be the wrong place, but what about a 10 year comparison of the Phenom II 1100T vs the 1950X. It's a 10 year flagship comparison. But with a twist of trying to see what the difference is if they could be fully utilized and what real world comparison of game performance would be if this existed to the extreme.

I'm guessing this could done this way: (as they are different mobo's and architectures)

1. Same GPU (possibly vega/HBM2 based)

2. The best MOBO for each

3. Best Ram setup

4. Same HDD/SSD. Obviously easier to potentially use the same software. Or does windows make this hard now?(I'm a linux user, I don't keep up anymore.)

5. Coolers? I keep seeing something about a hyper evo 212 for the 1100t or something. Don't know if I was considering OCing but this might be practical for the build to compare absolute performance potential. (I use stock cooler BTW.)

Each system should be optimized for hypothetical maximum performance given their potential. I assume GPU can be the same as they can potentially use the same thing. And I'm assuming this is a better/easier comparison as far as actual gaming statistics.

I'm not sure how to simulate hypothetical software changes. Are there any games that can do this and show how much could be done while getting FPS outside of the cinebech or whatever 3d modeling is benchmarked... Or is that all that can be done or the most appropriate option?

It could also be compared to modern real world comparison of gaming and other software.

I'm kind of assuming the normal benchmarks may cover this. But I was wondering if there is anything more interesting to use to compare it. Especially given any changes in hardware like the new vega's expanded ram or other things AMD offers given it's greater focus on multithreading. Maybe it could be done assuming games had fully utilized the maximum in parallel processing and expanded ram or other features. Just to see what could happen if software kept up more. Then compare this to real world modern gaming performance. Are there games that could do or can be made to use the new vega HBM2 memorry and it's potential. Or any odd software that could demonstrate the differences? I was reading things at some point about the potential of increased map sizes and other thing in games and other software. And if this becomes normal at some point on both nvidia and amd side it might be interesting for potential future software design. If something better doesn't replace it by then.

If it's convenient this could also be compared to other tasks similarly. Especially if there are no HBM2 gaming focused GPUs atm. Basically a, "What could be!", sort of video. Or have you already done this?

***To note: 1100t once cost around 100-120 US dollars. So it's a 10/1 price comparison technically given what it was at it's cheapest and what the 1950 was at it's more expensive side. Thread ripper 1950x is also almost the same core speed with double cores(Must have looked at the 1920x.). So, it's superficially kind of an interesting comparison. What was the expensive side of the 1100t? I'm assuming around 500-600USD.

You could also throw different resolutions at them if that makes a difference. And reproduce your, "Ghetto," set from this video! >< It's video 66. The evil video?! Although I don't think this video used an 1100t. But It's a nice old video.

https://www.google.com/search?q=NCIX+Tech+Tips+%2366&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Oddly it's brining up this playlist instead of the video. It's, "AMD Phenom II X6 Overclocking Tutorial (NCIX Tech Tips #66)"?! The video link won't go straight to it. It should be the first video in the google link... NVM, It's fixed.

Here's the userbenchmark comparison since I was looking at it before posting this: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-TR-1950X-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1100T/3932vs2004

And this one since it shows cpu ram: https://technical.city/en/cpu/Ryzen-Threadripper-1950-vs-Phenom-II-X6-1100T-BE It actually only has twice the L3 cache per core.

On another side note. Why aren't these available anymore. Let alone so overpriced. They were replaced but they are still fairly useable from what I can tell. Where there not a lot of them made because they were flagship CPUs? I'm assuming they were the better binned chips or something. Are there not a lot of those? Or just not a lot going to gaming/desktop CPUs?

And the test should involve actual gameplay tests to see how it works in real life. Not just benchmarks! And if real life side by side comparisons are needed or interesting for real gameplay use duplicate hardware for the GPU/HDD/SSD.

FYI, I'm using a 1100t with a 1060 3gb xlr8 overclock gpu and a 1080p monitor. Works good for me. Now if I could get an 1100 gpu it would be funny(Do they make an exactly named 1100gtx?!). Not disappointed with the GPU as I had to buy it during the GPU price problems and it was what was available(I wanted a 580 but missed normal prices by a day. Which doesn't hurt because I needed lower heat specs.). Of course being on linux I don't use games the same way. Maybe a comparison with 1100 cards thrown in to make Nvidia happy to boot. This when those cards actually come out. Maybe they would make you a special one time card called the 1100gtx for the build! ><

It might be interesting to see stock(cooler and w/wo OC) vs overclocked(specialty cooler and w/wo OC) performances. I use stock and don't run into issues. But I don't know what I might not be running not running windows games at potential full capacity. Although I don't know if any advantages exist for linux either that might make a difference. I run my games through wine a lot and you never know what it isn't doing. I wonder if a few windows vs linux test are worth it... (Or even possible)

Is it useful to get one of those evo 212 coolers at this late stage in the game for an 1100t am3/3+ cpu?! I wonder if it would help. I'm not planning on OCing but I wonder if it would do any good. On a funny side note. I only use arctic silver ceramique for my cpu/gpus because I still have a very old thing of it and I don't plan on getting anything else until I use it all up.

PCIe 3.0 X16 vs X8 vs X4 can they be bottlenecks to current GPUs

there is stuff on X16 vs X8 but not much on X4

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

eGPU solutions w/ Expresscard... or anything with expresscard really, although eGPU would be cooler :P

@LinusTech Here’s something Brandon can review, the new Sony A7 III which can put Canon and Nikon to shame at least according to The Verge article. https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/26/17056162/sony-a7-iii-camera-price-specs-release-date 

That low light HDR looks awesome 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Lately I tried to run Ubuntu native on an older MacBook Pro (2013). Expected the worst but was actually quite positively surprised. Although I switched back (mainly the intel gpu could not be detected or switched and the battery life was really bad).

But it got me curious. Dell offers the developer edition laptops. Some with Core i7 or even Xeon E3. So I wonder how those officially supported machines compare to Windows on the same hardware regarding performance, battery life and practicality.

@LinusTech please review skydiving R1, really interesting drone in a long while. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

Galaxy S9 and S9+

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

Will there be any more Workshop videos just like those that Luke hosted? Like this one : 

I like the format and the answer to everything was: Well, it doesn't really matter. :D 

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

I currently picked up a "Samsung C27F396 Freesync 27-Inch 1080p" to replace my dying ASUS monitor with dead pixels. So far the monitor is amaze balls, I would like to see it reviewed because I heard it can be overclocked to 72Hz and it also can be overclocked to 1440p but I haven't had a reliable source confirm it yet especially since the only display adapter it accepts is HDMI. 

Since you reviewed the self-destructing ORWL PC, I have been thinking that it would be neat to see a review of the Librem phone (https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/)? It is a privacy-focused phone running Linux. I think it would be interesting to see what you guys think of it compared to existing smartphones in terms of user-friendliness, available apps, performance, etc...

USB type-c PCIe card upgrade with 5.25" bay front IO

I want USB-C on my olde 2015 desktop, but all the cards I've found have ports on the back... I wan't them in the front... I've seen some with headers on them, not sure how that works... is that like a shared hub with the rear ports?

Regardless, I want two ports on my a front 5.25" bay.

The smart watches, 
The cellular vs Bluetooth, also mention the coverage or lack thereof in different regions, (cellular/esim) not available in many other regions obviously other than fkn US this is been rectified as for Apple only :(

On 01/03/2018 at 5:42 PM, DieselWeasel said:

Will there be any more Workshop videos just like those that Luke hosted? Like this one : 

I like the format and the answer to everything was: Well, it doesn't really matter. :D 

Luke quit LMG

Now to reach him they have to painstakenly go to floatplane office hahaha

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7 hours ago, JDE said:

Luke quit LMG

Now to reach him they have to painstakenly go to floatplane office hahaha

I know that and that is why I didn't say that I want Luke to host them. I said I wanted videos like those that Luke hosted

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex