What should I review next?

3 hours ago, gogo809 said:

Linus, I think you should branch out into another DIY space. Home security DIY specifically. This space is wide open, and good information out there is spartan. I'll admit it would be a big learning curve for you guys if you don't already have somebody that is knowledgeable about such things. However, security is a huge amount of content you could mine, and people willing to build their own computer seem like the type that would be interested! Maybe start by reviewing several different AIO Security Camera systems. It might actually have some merit for you there at the office as you pack in more and more valuable hardware as well.

I'm doing it at home and I have been researching for months and it has been an extremely tough slog. Just look to your own forums, (https://linustechtips.com/main/search/?type=all&q="home+security") people seem to be into it.

I think that this would be super interesting! It would be cool to see a DIY LAN camera guide as well.

On 17/05/2017 at 4:45 PM, gogo809 said:

Linus, I think you should branch out into another DIY space. Home security DIY specifically. This space is wide open, and good information out there is spartan. I'll admit it would be a big learning curve for you guys if you don't already have somebody that is knowledgeable about such things. However, security is a huge amount of content you could mine, and people willing to build their own computer seem like the type that would be interested! Maybe start by reviewing several different AIO Security Camera systems. It might actually have some merit for you there at the office as you pack in more and more valuable hardware as well.

I'm doing it at home and I have been researching for months and it has been an extremely tough slog. Just look to your own forums, (https://linustechtips.com/main/search/?type=all&q="home+security") people seem to be into it.

I was just going to post this as it looks as if I'm gonna have to get a CCTV system soon if my neighbour gets an extension that will leave my property venerable in the future. Something that would dovetail into my post above as I'm probably gonna have to get one single camera that is compatible with a Synology DiscStation NAS.

Especially if the outlay is costly, you don't have the £350 a year to a monitoring company to do a yearly check and have someone sit there till an alarm goes off. The DIY/Monitor via app market is a huge one out there.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

Zenwatch 3?

Like your cheap mouse roundup, I suggest you have a another roundup. But this time with Cheap wireless bluetooth headphones. There are some hidden gems, in the audio market. You should check that out.

Hack a 1080 Ti on a thunderbolt 3 external enclosure to a 2016 MacBook Pro, and see how well it games. That might actually make it easier to justify a MacBook Pro as your only computer if you still want to game. And it's just fun to see. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I'd like to see you review some more headsets for gaming because after I started to buy better headphones I shudder each time I have to use my old "gaming headset" while raiding in wow. Would be really interesting to see more of the headset offerings from AKG or Sennheiser, considering they make both good headphones and microphones (Massdrop has the special Sennheiser PC37X, which would be really nice to get your perspective on).

On 2015-1-29 at 3:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Review an Amiga!

Ryzen 1700 4GHz OC, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard, Corsair 32GB 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

Alienware 13 R3, 7700HQ, 16GB 2667MHz RAM, GTX 1060 6GB

@LinusTech Why don't you guys make project like 7 gamers 1 CPU but most powerful workstation for CAD, virtualization... ?

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 3:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Personally I think it would be awesome to see a chassis review on a Kolink Refractor, as it is very much budget orientated & it is most interesting to see how you will react to it xD

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Review the cable management in your warehouse.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Hello you could review Xeon Knights landing 60 Core HOST processors. They use lga 3647:

This is atx by the way. You can see how massive it is.

index.jpg.01f56c3bc11c6f0ceb07620918924058.jpg

Maybe review some gaming peripherals... Steering wheels, gamepads joysticks. Maybe even a dedicated sim racing build?

Could you please do a video on "CPU's Through the Ages"?  This would be similar to the recent GPU videos you have done.  Perhaps "Intel 8086" or "Intel 286" all the way up to "Intel i7".  A separate video for AMD? 

@LinusTechcc1230fcf3163442e716a8362accc709-650-80.978c605c6ac01096e0a7d766386bb9f7-650-80.

@Slick 

I would definitely enjoy some smart home/home automation content. 

System

CPU

Motherboard

Asus maximus VII formula

RAM

16 GB corsair dominator platinum

GPU

EVGA gtx 980 reference

Case

Nzxt h440 black/red

Storage

240 GB rog raidr

PSU

Seasonic platinum 750w

Display(s)

Asus ROG swift pg278q and a Dell something free

Cooling

Corsair h100i

Instead of reviewing Hardware in one episode why not to an episode about reviewing hardware manufacturers. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to deal with several RMAs through standard channels. Dealing with customer service representatives who couldn't discern the difference between a serial number containing "too" or "2". I figure you probably have some kind of business level RMA agreement but it would be interesting to see you slum it out with the normal process and write up reviews on how each manufacture did.

Things like:

• Knowledge and clarity of representative through phone or email
  • Speed of RMA process
  • Cost if any along with RMA options (Advance product ship, cross ship, standard)
  • Any general information you have on personal failure rate of equipment.
  • etc...

This is great info for those of us staring a disaster in the face disguised as a decent deal.

Side note: ASUS RMA and customer service hate spawned this idea.

Laptops vs [Mini-PC (with desktop CPU) + Portable Monitor + Peripherals ] combo on entry, mid-level and enthusiast (+GPU here) levels.

Curious to see if the combo is practical and if the added performance is worth it.

On 1/29/2015 at 11:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Comparing virtual machines on a Mac: Parallels Desktop vs Virtual Box vs VMWare

Run Windows 10 and various Linux distros and compare each VM's features, performance, and price.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Hey @LinusTech @Slick can we get a review of the O2 Hurricane? It's a rechargeable handheld air compressor that I've thought about getting for cleaning stuff at work, but reviews are all over the place. I trust you guys quite a lot to give a solid, honest opinion. Here's the amazon link:

My current fleet!
Zerua - Workstation - i7-6700k, 32gb DDR4, GTX1070 | Azalera - Surface Pro 4 - i7-6650U, 16gb | Sarea - FreeNAS Server - E5-2407 1.2TB RAIDZ2

Hi, @LinusTech! I am very interested in seeing a review on the new Aorus GTX 1060 9gbps. It's quite new so there isn't any review on it anyway.. Video or article :(

I wanted to see how the 9gbps separates it from the other gtx 1060 and how does it compare with a cheap gtx 1070 (Meaning, how much do you lose and gain by going for the gtx 1060 instead of the gtx 1070 and gtx 1050 and others)