AMD going aggressive with marketing

I don't mind smearing as long as they don't overdo it. Making a jab once is fine, but something like "This card can heat your house!" over and over again in every single god damn thread for months on end is just annoying.

Yes, isn't it nice to see another massive corporation be proud of itself?

I thought you left?

Well welcome back.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well Halo1 plays at 4K maxed out settings with no problem. So perhaps AMD means old games or games such as LoL, after all Linus himself managed to build a rig that was more than capable.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I get these as well, it always ends up being lame and petty.

I like seeing big companies take jabs at each other but AMD just goes a bit too far, like when they asked fans to wear AMD t-shirts and go to an Nvidia event to troll and annoy people then get rewarded with a prize.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I like seeing big companies take jabs at each other but AMD just goes a bit too far, like when they asked fans to wear AMD t-shirts and go to an Nvidia event to troll and annoy people then get rewarded with a prize.

Its a shame S3 no longer exists, after they went everything the graphics market got left for Ati and Nvidia to fight over, and S3 made some very good cards for its time (AGP 4x was the fastest standard they used BTW, that's how long its been since Ati and Nvidia had other competition).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And exactly this kind of thing is what Samsung gets lauded for.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

S3 even back then wasn't much of a high-tech competition. The best years they had were because of the flooding the OEMs with mainstream marketable products in the right time of the PC and Internet boom during the 90s. The company never managed to take the lead as a driving innovator, despite numerous attempts, while constantly battling inconsistent driver and feature support to the very end. They did good enough 2D/Video performance enhancements throughout all the product lines, but the only successful 3D technology they contributed was the block texture compression, later incorporated in DirectX.

I get playable frame rates at 4k with my 770, bf4 on medium settings I get around 35-50fps.

it still looks 10x better than 1080p maxed out..

still isn't stopping me buying a 980 this weekend lol

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

You'd be surprised. Take a CPU-heavy game like an MMO and it'll play it in 4k. I mean sure, high-res pack Crysis3 or whatever isn't going to be an option at that resolution (but then I don't think that a configuration exists that will keep that type of game above 60fps at 4k resolution), but there are other games on the market that will run acceptably well at 4k with an HD7950/70.

Pretty much. I play Guild Wars 2 (getting back into it, cus I am just bored with WoW atm) at 3k in VSR AND supersampled in the options. The game looks damn near like Witcher 2 ubersampling and I can keep 60 FPS anywhere the game is not CPU bound (and it would be CPU bound on a 6ghz Haswel in world vs world). 

Also....

Crysis Engine with supersampling/4k. Bandwidth simply matters. Benchmarking cards people actually buy (like R9 290's that run 25 C cooler than reference R9 290's did that throttled and give BS benchmarks) matters as well...Basically what AMD is saying is if the GTX 970 is a "4k card" for games like Star Citizen. So is the R9 280. 

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Ryse-PC-259308/Specials/Test-Technik-1138543/

Benchmarks_Ryse_1080p_2_x_SSAA-pcgh.png

A good brand R9 290 is a 4k card at at locked 30 (and a lot of these damn games can't run a locked 60 on any CPU atm) on NEW games like Shadows of Mordor. Where is it not a 4k card? Nvidia Game Works games (you can play with tessellation settings in catalyst though and negate some of that). Those games run like crap on everything though...so who cares. Prob one reason the stupid thing exists. The other would be selling SLI setups you don't or shouldn't need for console ports...

If you MUST have Nvidia for 4k? Buy the 980. You will kick yourself later if you don't. I would not touch the GTX 970 if I planned on going SLI or 4k in the future.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

the r9 280 is just a re-branded 7950 i believe, but u sure won't be able to push much out at 4k with it even on amd titles. 

You can believe what you want of course. While others will enjoy CS GO, dota, SC2 very nicely on 4k with a 280x.

*although noone should get a 280x as it doesnt suppport freesync

You can believe what you want of course. While others will enjoy CS GO, dota, SC2 very nicely on 4k with a 280x.

*although noone should get a 280x as it doesnt suppport freesync

Pretty much, if you can afford it get a 290 from Sapphire or the PCS +. This card will blow away most 290x's and run WAY cooler and supports freesync.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr92904gbd5ppdhe

If you just want a budget 1080p card without high downsamling/SSAA in NEW games, but will run old games at high resolutions pretty darn good? Get the R9 280. It is cheap, it has 3GB VRAM and should be good to go for this entire console generation since the PS4 can get close to 3 gigs of VRAM.

Those two cards are the best value atm and nothing really comes close. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Well they also just did this:

B8dV86eCYAEMLwx.png

AMD themselves didn't actually publish that, it's from an AMD employees private Twitter.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling