Would you rather have " Better performance Fans or Quiet Fans?"

virusal19

See I'm currently building a gaming pc, and for the moment i use my gaming laptop until its fully finished. My laptop can be really loud when I play games so im kind of used to it. My Pc will have a H100i cooling an Overclocked 3770K, running push/pull. The fans for it are the stock h100i fans on push, and Corsair Sp120 Quiet Editions for Pull. So it should be quiet enough for me. Its all up to you!

You can have both' date=' get Noctua fans![/quote']

They're so ugly, it would be hard to ever overcome the fact that you have them in your system.

Get a case without a window so you can't see them in there, I mean unless you go to a lot of LAN parties you don't really need a case with a window any way.

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU> Intel 4790k< GPU> EVGA GTX970< SSD> Crucial MX200 250Gb< HDD> Seagate Barracuda 2Tb<
Cooling> Corsair H100i< Case> Corsair Air 540< PSU> Seasonic X-Series 650W< RAM> 8Gb Kingston HyperX<

My Pc will have a H100i cooling an Overclocked 3770K, running push/pull. The fans for it are the stock h100i fans on push, and Corsair Sp120 Quiet Editions for Pull. So it should be quiet enough for me. Its all up to you!

running missed-matched fans like that really doesnt help any cause, you know..

one set is trying to rid the air as the other kinda is in the way. and i dont think the

software will let you "split" the pairs to regulate the SP(i) fans to spin down to 1450

or you'll have to PSU/mobo the SP120QE fans. the SP120PE fans will prolly be a

better match or use all SP120QE (4) fans.

airdeano

I love having a quiet PC, but after a while, I didn't care too much since I'm always wearing head phones.

Both. I like to keep idle very quiet with basicaly everything tuned down. On load i have it so the temperatures are good and sound doesnt come throght my headset.

I always go for performance because not many fans are really that loud that it matters. And you get accustomed to noise pretty quickly. I used to fold 24/7 with a rig literally a meter from my bed and it did not bother me. This was with a definitely loud 8800. As long as it's not any worse than that I don't care.

those 1-5 degrees can make a difference :P

Definitely silence for me. in my first computer case, an In Win BR665, I populated all 4 side panel fan spots with Scythe slim fans, and the airflow they provided was actually quite good. But I almost never turned them on because of how noisy they were. I didn't think that the noise would matter if they performed well, but as it turned out, that was not the case for me. I couldn't stand them being on.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

Depends on how much performance I would lose but I would prefer a quiet system.

La`~

I'd choose performance over silence. However, that doesn't mean I'm ok with jet engines in my case.

4930k @ 4.0 GHz - Rampage IV Black - 16GB Dominator Platnium 1600 Cas 8 - 2x 780TI Classified SLI - 640 GT - Xonar Pheobus - 2x 128GB 840 Pro RAID 0 - 250GB 840 EVO - Live Gamer HD - AX1200i - COSMOS II - H100i - 4x SP120 - 4x AF120 - AF140 - 3x U3014 - Blackwidow Ultimate - Naga - Mouse Bungee - Manticor - 2x Sabertooth - Atrox - T500RS - TH8RS - Tiamat 7.1 - SP2500 - c920 - Smart-UPS SMT1500

Noise doesn't bother me at all because I usually have my headset on so performance all the way!

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

I prefer high performance generally, as long as they aren't too loud. I wear a headset all the time that I'm on my PC, so I don't notice the noise unless the fans are really loud.

Personally I would go for quiet fans.

Current Rig:

Phenom II x2 550 @ 3.7GHz stock volts

Corsair A70

ASUS M4N75TD

WD 500GB Black Drive

WD 1TB Blue Drive

XFX GTS 250 at stock settings

XFX 650W XXX edition PSU

OCZ BE 4GB @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.5v

Mushkin Radioactive 8GB @ 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5v

Cooler Master CM690II Advanced edition

Noctua's always my choice

Hex

Asrock Z77 extreme 4 / I5-3570k LGA 1155 / Asus Matrix Platinum / Silverstone SE700 / Gskill Ripjawx 1600 4gb x 2 / Noctua nh-d14 / Creative Zxr / 1 tb Black x 2 raid 1 / 128gb Intel 520 x 2 raid 0

A quiet computer is very important, but with the technology available today, there's no need to compromise performance to achieve silence.

quiet fan all the way, at 0v if possible when idle, it is the best (love silence)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I run my Scythe gt 1850 rpm at 750rpm (as low as it'll let me go) through a manual inline fan speed controller (here: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17916) on my hyper 212+ cooling my 3570k at stock speeds (with turbo boost)

It's in inaudible and cools at a max of 75c with intel burn test on maximum (ambient around 20c)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

You can have both' date=' get Noctua fans![/quote']

They're so ugly, it would be hard to ever overcome the fact that you have them in your system.

paint them......

Personally I would have better performance than bother with noise, but if its too loud to enjoy my media then there is a problem

• 1 year later...

silence all the way, as alot of the time i'm just browsing without wearing headphones.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I'm currently using BitFenix Spectre fans (besides the one NZXT that came with my case), and they seem to perform well and they're pretty quiet. Well, except for the 120mm that's connected with Molex because I didn't have enough headers on my motherboard. It's loud enough to drown out my GPU's fans 90% of the time. 

Once I get a fan controller, my rig should be pretty quiet though.

I am impressed that even with the 120mm running 100%... my desktop is still quieter than my laptop or my Xbox. 

To answer the question... I care more about performance and price than about noise. Fan noise has never bothered me.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."