Would you rather have " Better performance Fans or Quiet Fans?"

virusal19

Would you rather have " Better performance Fans or Quiet Fans?"

Tell us the reason why!

Noctua Fans don't have the best performance, but they have a really good balance between noise level and performance.

The best performing fans are some crazy delta fans with 12.000rpm.

Always go for the most silent cooling solution with accaptable performance. If i set all my fans to 12 volt i get like 0.5°C to 1°C better temperatures, so it doesn't really matter. And at 7 volt the Noctua F series fans and the beQuiet Silent Wings 2 are unnoticeable

Performance all the way - i've either got music going or being edited or i'm gaming. Noise doesn't worry me a bit. On my old 775 system that i've just replaced I used to have to strip off the outside pannel of the case and run a 30cm fan to keep the graphics cool because I couldn't be bothered replacing the case (CM Centurion) - now that was loud..

But depending where your fan is, a higher performance fan isn't going to affect your temperature much, only about 1°C. So why not sacrifice that 1°C and have a nearly inaudible PC anyways?

These two things are not mutually exclusive. So why not both?

I would defin go with performance. I can't actually sleep without the wizz of my computer rofl.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

If I would not be wanting to pay a good amount of money, I would go for performance.

As long as it is not a washingmachine-ish noise, I can handle it.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

You can have both' date=' get Noctua fans![/quote']

They're so ugly, it would be hard to ever overcome the fact that you have them in your system.

I'd have to go with quiet fans, although recently I am using a program called SpeedFan which controls my fans. This way in idle some of my fans switch off as it is that cool but it I then start doing something intensive they will speed up.

Corsair 400R / Intel Core i7 2600K / MSI P67A-GD53 / 2 X MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II SLI / Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz

OCZ ZT 550W / Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo / Crucial M4 128GB (2x64GB RAID 0) / WD Caviar Green 1TB / Arctic Silver 5

Quiet all the way! Considering how fan technology has moved on now, even super quiet fans will move enough air to keep your case cool.

MEH

Quiet is best for me just undervolt your fan and get the best of both worlds (=

I wouldn't sacrifice one to either extreme, but personally I would sacrifice a little performance if it meant a quieter or less annoying noise.

Current Rig:

Case: CM Storm Mid Tower | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V CPU: Intel i7 (1155) 2600k @ 3.4GHz | Ram: Ballistix Tracer DDR3 4x4GB GPU:  XFX HD Radeon XXX DD 6870 | Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX  | Power Suply: OCZ 1000W  |  Boot Drive: 2 x WD Raptors 300GB in Raid 0 | Storage: Samsung SpinPoint T3 1TB | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit 

Project Zero (In Progress)

Case: Silverstone TJ07 I Motherboard: MSI z87-G45 Gaming | CPU: Intel i5-4570k | Ram: Ballistix Tracer DDR3 4x4GB GPU: 2X MSI R9 290X 4GB (x-fire) Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W | Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | Cooling: Custom loop (cpu+gpu's)

#killedmywife

It all depends on what you are using your computer for. If you are recording a lot of audio for things like music, then you must go with quiet or even passively cooled systems (i.e. no fans). I personally don't record music so I don't mind the sound of fans. I would rather run my computer a few degrees cooler and have it maybe 3-6Db louder. As long as the fans are not making any clicking noises or high pitched whines, then I don't care. I usually where my headphones anyways when gaming with a dedicated SOUND CARD.

Performance until it becomes to loud, which for me, is pretty loud

Middle ground.

I consider quiet, inaudible. lol.

As long as they have a nice clean sound to them (ie, no motor noise, just air movement) I don't mind them too much. Tend to run my fans at 5v most of the time so they are quiet, and then turn them up when needed.

Quiet fans are pointless if they can't perform.

And no way I would run something purely for performance, San Ace fans can stay in servers and away from my computer, lol. Noctua's are nice once painted.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

The golden midway :)

I think that's it. It starts being impractical to go too far one way or the other. I used to be obsessed with silence, but after adding multiple HDDs and living in the Australian climate, a bit of noise is inevitable. Aesthetics are important to me, so I have an H50 with matte black fans. To maintain my preferred overclock, I need to run them at an audible speed.

The whole noise situation is very difficult to keep totally under control unless the entire build is done with that in mind. As such, my next upgrade cycle is going to be quieter, having learned from my decisions, but that's not for a while yet.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

Personally, I tend to find a fan that is around the 15-23db range, and pick anything from there. The 3 200mm fans i have are only 800 RPM but they move a lot of air while making 18db.

Quiet with no headset. Performance with headset lol.

Its like linus and slick have discussed b4. U can have the sound of moving air which is fine and then thers the sound of the motor which is very irritating.

Generally fans are all fairly quiet at half speed and move a decent amount of air but when u are doing sumthin intensive i would crank them up and get the headset on

It doesnt "need" to be noisy.....but if it is ...i don't mind!!

but when the gpu is at like 4500rpm (*2fans) ....it is kind of irritating...but the in-game effects usually drown it!!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

I have the best of both worlds: A custom fan profile in Afterburner, an Ultra Kaze 3K, several other loud BGears fans, and a 30w 5 channel fan controller they're hooked up to.

When I have my headphones on and music playing I crank the fans up and don't even notice the sound.

The rest of the time, I just turn the fans down and they're silent.

I'm one of those silence freaks who can't stand any noise whatsoever. I would be happy to drop significant amounts of performance rather than having a computer that sounds like a jet engine

Who's to say you can't have both there is no need for a system to be loud in fact in my experience turning my fans up only gave me like 1-5c better performance and it was so much louder.