Do you think that Nvidia should recall 970's? (and Nvidia's response)

Doughnutnator

What to do with my sli 970's.... I can't go back to integrated graphics, NO I won't go back I tell you!

I would return them and get 290x cfx.

Works double as a card and a heater.

290x cfx is the best choice for high resolution anyways.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_sli_4k_nv_surround_review

I would return them and get 290x cfx.

Works double as a card and a heater.

290x cfx is the best choice for high resolution anyways.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_sli_4k_nv_surround_review

How big of an issue is it really, I already RMA'd a card due to noise & I am unsure if I want to go through the hassle of returns.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

How big of an issue is it really, I already RMA'd a card due to noise & I am unsure if I want to go through the hassle of returns.

The noise and heat are mitigated if you get a decent cooler.

The card will still kick hot air into your room but a MSI LIGHTING 290x or a saphire TRIX 290x are very cool cards compared to the reference dsign.

The lightning one looks sweet.

MSI_R9_290X_LIGHTNING_01.jpg

The noise and heat are mitigated if you get a decent cooler.

The card will still kick hot air into your room but a MSI LIGHTING 290x or a saphire TRIX 290x are very cool cards compared to the reference dsign.

The lightning one looks sweet.

I was regarding the issues with the 970, is it game changing?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

If they did offer refunds I wouldn't take it, my gigabyte G1 GTX970 is great, all I could hope for. However what nVidia did was wrong and I can understand why people are upset. To be honest I wouldnt mind a free game as compensation, I believe that would be fair.

To be honest I can't understand why everyone is so mad. You bought the card based off benchmarks, yes? Those benchmarks were not done with different cards. Frankly I understand that it's false advertising but honestly the practical impact seems very low. I'm all for consumer protection and I think they should definitely offer unconditional refunds but if I owned one I wouldn't bother to return it anyways.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Personally, I bought this card for it's longevity. I bought a single Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming. It's a beast of a card yes, but the fact that it only uses 3.5gb of it's vram effectively would have been a dealbreaker for me.

I planned using this card until I needed to upgrade waaayyyy later on down the road and would have bought another card for an SLI config. The fact that it can't use the full 4GB of VRAM at a decent enough speed will hurt higher resolution performance, which is what I will be aiming for in a couple of years. Since SLI configurations do not accumulate VRAM from the cards, it will still stick with 3.5GB of decent VRAM which, as mentioned above, will hurt higher resolution performance.

I didn't buy it for the tech specs that were listed in tables on the NVIDIA website, I bought it for what it was mainly advertised with. 4GB of ram and a certain clock speed. Performance RIGHT NOW is irrelevent for me, it is the longevity and value of the card that will be hurt in the long run.

But as for "should they recall/refund us"? IF it truly bothers you, then yes. Apply for a refund from the retailer. I personally don't know if I want to return it while I can and save for a better card whether it is an AMD equivalent or a GTX 980 a bit later.

It's a grey area for me!

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

Doesn't matter. They advertised it as something more than what it was, and therefore are in the wrong.

I find it terribly hard to believe that somehow nobody at Gigabyte, or ASUS, or MSI, Zotac, etc. noticed the issue while they were working up their products.

If they did there will be a paper trail leading back to Nvidia.

That paper trail will be discoverable.

While this is more than just an Nvidia headache, when push comes to shove who do you think everyone will point the finger at?

They need to offer refunds, or compensation for those who decide to keep their card.

To be honest I can't understand why everyone is so mad. You bought the card based off benchmarks, yes? Those benchmarks were not done with different cards. Frankly I understand that it's false advertising but honestly the practical impact seems very low. I'm all for consumer protection and I think they should definitely offer unconditional refunds but if I owned one I wouldn't bother to return it anyways.

Basically how i feel is summed up on my sig.

I wont be returning mine. I dont believe there is an equal or better alternative to the 970 in price/performance right now. I also have a very insane card though. My clocks are massive and the card has not given me issues yet. I also upgrade every 6-12 months anyway. If AMD releases impressive numbers with the 300 series i will probably buy an AMD card. Effiency, heat, power consumption and noise are important to me so hopefully AMD has improved on the 290 series cards. I aslo dont believe in future proofing. The way games and tech is moving so fast, it is impossible to future proof.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I might be returning mine if i can 

its a bit of a deal breaker for me , i got a 970 because i wanted to go 4k Sli970's in the near future , but with the Vram issue i can see that the Vram will get used before the 

GPU does so bad performance 

if i can i will return my 970 and get a 980 or maybe 2x R9 290(X)'s

Sorry nvidia , but you done buggered up on this one im afraid

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

I might be returning mine if i can 

its a bit of a deal breaker for me , i got a 970 because i wanted to go 4k Sli970's in the near future , but with the Vram issue i can see that the Vram will get used before the 

GPU does so bad performance 

if i can i will return my 970 and get a 980 or maybe 2x R9 290(X)'s

Sorry nvidia , but you done buggered up on this one im afraid

Most people might not admit  this but yeah SLI 970 is FOBAR for 4k.

The best option for the price is 290x cfx

7s8Os8G.png

Most people might not admit  this but yeah SLI 970 is FOBAR for 4k.

The best option for the price is 290x cfx

7s8Os8G.png

Yea thats probably what i will do in the future , 970 is meh for 1080p , especially with games like dyinglight and i suspect GTA 5 using as much Vram as possible ( 3.6gb on dying light for me )

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Yea thats probably what i will do in the future , 970 is meh for 1080p , especially with games like dyinglight and i suspect GTA 5 using as much Vram as possible ( 3.6gb on dying light for me )

Really? I have no issues with Dying Light everything max @ 1080p. I get a constant 80+ fps
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?