MSI Motherboard error codes '99', '9C', and 'A2'?

Infernalz

Each time I boot up my system I get these three error codes (99, 9C, and A2), then it boots up normally and the computer runs fine. I've tried researching these codes and haven't found a definite answer to any of them, and any answers I do find range from harmless (MSI mobo's not liking USB 2.0 ports) to detrimental (CPU not getting enough voltage). There also doesn't seem to be any section in the manual that shows what these error codes might mean, nor some single web page that would have them defined.

Some specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait

CPU: 4960K overclocked to 4.0Ghz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

PSU: EVGA Supernova 750W

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

These are not error codes according to this post, as rather it is telling you that stuff is working. https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=172812.0. as they say, if something isn't broken don't fix it.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

These are not error codes according to this post, as rather it is telling you that stuff is working. https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=172812.0. as they say, if something isn't broken don't fix it.

That just saved me a mountain of worry, thank you very much!

One last thing though, would there be any concern if it hangs on the 'A2'? That post says it's just an IDE Detect code so could it randomly just take a bit longer? I haven't recorded how long it takes but I'll keep an eye on it from now on.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

I know this is a bit of an old thread but i need help and this looks like the best way I will be able to solve the issue.

When i boot up my PC it gets stuck on the 99 code screen for a good 10-15secs and then boots up to the desktop after showing 9C and A2 but there are a few settings that are missing. eg my RGB Keyboard lighting config doesnt load and various other start up programs don't boot. which requires me to reset my computer.

If when i boot up my computer for the first time and hit the reset button before it gets to the 99 screen then everything boots normally and it moves past the 3 code screen very fast.

any clarification on the issue i am having would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I know this is a bit of an old thread but i need help and this looks like the best way I will be able to solve the issue.

When i boot up my PC it gets stuck on the 99 code screen for a good 10-15secs and then boots up to the desktop after showing 9C and A2 but there are a few settings that are missing. eg my RGB Keyboard lighting config doesnt load and various other start up programs don't boot. which requires me to reset my computer.

If when i boot up my computer for the first time and hit the reset button before it gets to the 99 screen then everything boots normally and it moves past the 3 code screen very fast.

any clarification on the issue i am having would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Ryan

please start your own thread, it will be much easier to get help.

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

That just saved me a mountain of worry, thank you very much!

One last thing though, would there be any concern if it hangs on the 'A2'? That post says it's just an IDE Detect code so could it randomly just take a bit longer? I haven't recorded how long it takes but I'll keep an eye on it from now on.

EDIT: Ayy lmao i forgot this is an old thread.