Audioengine D1

penguin_

Looking at getting one of these, gets good reviews, heard good things about it from people I know. But now I want to know the LTT forums think/know about it.

I have low impedance headphones (Samson SR850)

Thank you in advance.

It's a fantastic DAC, but I would suggest spending the $150-200 on better headphones first, something like Beyerdynamic DT770's or similar. The problem is that with headphones of the calibre you have now, you won't see any real benefit from more high end hardware. Read the FAQ :)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I only recently bought these headphones so I probably won't be upgrading them until they die, I will probably getting the DAC before I upgrade headphones anyway.

How are the D1's compared to the Xonar Essence ST? That's what I'm using at the moment but I'm looking to get rid of it to create room for an SLI setup.

I'm looking for something in the interim to power my Audioengine A5+ speakers and K702 Annies before I save up enough for a Schiit Bifrost/Asgard2.

thx

How are the D1's compared to the Xonar Essence ST? That's what I'm using at the moment but I'm looking to get rid of it to create room for an SLI setup.

I'm looking for something in the interim to power my Audioengine A5+ speakers and K702 Annies before I save up enough for a Schiit Bifrost/Asgard2.

thx

The DAC is probably better and you don't have to deal with drivers, but it's JUST not powerful enough to drive K702's (I have some) to their full potential. Obviously it does the job, just not 100%, more like 90-95%. It'll be a good intermediary if that's what you're looking for. 

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The DAC is probably better and you don't have to deal with drivers, but it's JUST not powerful enough to drive K702's (I have some) to their full potential. Obviously it does the job, just not 100%, more like 90-95%. It'll be a good intermediary if that's what you're looking for. 

Great thanks, just the answer I was looking for.

Looking at getting one of these, gets good reviews, heard good things about it from people I know. But now I want to know the LTT forums think/know about it.

I have low impedance headphones (Samson SR850)

Thank you in advance.

Pointless to get a dac/amp for your headphones unless your mobo sound puts out to much noise that isn't the music. Pick something cheaper for your headphones, like a Fiio E10, if you must have an external solution. :)

Why do you recommend a cheaper alternative because of my headphones? If I get the Filo e10, then get better headphones, then I'll buy the D1, wouldn't it be more logical to buy the D1 instead of the E10 and then upgrade my headphones? Considering the E10 is like $100 that's $100 that I don't want to spend on something i'll only use until I get new headphones.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Why do you recommend a cheaper alternative because of my headphones? If I get the Filo e10, then get better headphones, then I'll buy the D1, wouldn't it be more logical to buy the D1 instead of the E10 and then upgrade my headphones? Considering the E10 is like $100 that's $100 that I don't want to spend on something i'll only use until I get new headphones.

You said you'll be using these headphones till they die, which I expect would take so long that the dac you buy might die by then as well (dunno how you treat your headphones).

The E10 is as good a recommendation as the D1, and might even be better, but at a lower price point.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

It doesn't matter now, I've ordered the D1, at the end of the day, if I had have gone with the E10 I would have ended up only using it until I got better headphones.

It doesn't matter now, I've ordered the D1, at the end of the day, if I had have gone with the E10 I would have ended up only using it until I got better headphones.

It's a very good DAC.

Then why did'ja make this thread?  :lol:

Did you even read the OP? I wanted to hear what people on LTT forums had to say about it.

Did you even read the OP? I wanted to hear what people on LTT forums had to say about it.

The OP also said "Looking at getting one of these" and in fact it was the first sentence, which in my book makes it the purpose of the thread.

If someone says "Tell me what you think about this because I'm thinking of getting one." but then in response to criticism about the item in question states, "I already have one so your criticism is unwelcome." then that's just kind of silly.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your D1.

The OP also said "Looking at getting one of these" and in fact it was the first sentence, which in my book makes it the purpose of the thread.

If someone says "Tell me what you think about this because I'm thinking of getting one." but then in response to criticism about the item in question states, "I already have one so your criticism is unwelcome." then that's just kind of silly.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your D1.

This is the first time I've genuinely not liked anyone on these forums, if you read the entire thread, it wasn't "Please recommend me a different DAC" I wanted to know what people on these forums thought about the D1 not recommend a completely different DAC

I wanted to know what people on these forums thought about the D1 not recommend a completely different DAC

In fairness the general response seems to be that the D1 is good but that there is better available for the money. People are saying that even if you upgrade your headphones later on the E10 may still outperform the D1. What sort of response did you expect asking for peoples' thoughts?

Headset

In fairness the general response seems to be that the D1 is good but that there is better available for the money. People are saying that even if you upgrade your headphones later on the E10 may still outperform the D1. What sort of response did you expect asking for peoples' thoughts?

Are you kidding me right now? I want peoples opinion on the D1, not whether I should get a fucking E10 instead.

Are you kidding me right now? I want peoples opinion on the D1, not whether I should get a fucking E10 instead.

There's no need for that. You asked for peoples thoughts and some told you that it's not that great value for money, that is their thoughts.

Headset

I have one.

It is good.

It has great built quality.

It's has RCA for receivers and other amps which is handy (what I use it for now).

It has absolutely zero background noise (tested with very sensitive IEM's).

It is great for a portable set up with a laptop.

It is probably a overpriced by about $30.

It is perfect for easy to drive headphones like ATH-M50's, HD558's, low impedance Beyerdynamics.

Don't swear at other members for trying to be helpful.

/thread

Don't swear at other members for trying to be helpful.

/thread

There's a difference between swearing, and swearing at someone. I didn't call him a "Fucking moron" I just swore in my post.

There's a difference between swearing, and swearing at someone. I didn't call him a "Fucking moron" I just swore in my post.

It's unnecessary and is easily portrayed as aggression, just don't. Your thread has now been answered.