{Ye Oulde} Console alternatives :D my edition [updated {more like outdated} - 19/03/2018]

Sauron

the person I bought it from had 20 more

and its completely stable w/o the new graphics card the precision was made to be run hard for long periods of time.

Good deals aren't too hard to find,

But if you want a console that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.98 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.88 @ OutletPC) 

Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.98 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 265 1GB Core Edition Video Card  ($131.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.66 @ Mwave) 

Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $400.44

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 18:07 EST-0500

USA BUILD

My entry for the scapyards build , no rebates it outperforms a console.

Its not necroing the thread is only 10 days old shush

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 265 1GB Core Edition Video Card  ($131.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.66 @ Mwave) 
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $400.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 18:07 EST-0500

USA BUILD

My entry for the scapyards build , no rebates it outperforms a console.

Its not necroing the thread is only 10 days old shush

Times have changed ^^ also pcpartpicker started allowing to filter for parts without mir -.-

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Times have changed ^^ also pcpartpicker started allowing to filter for parts without mir -.-

Yeash , I had to do that for the contest.

also.

ERMGEARHD PC IS EXPENSIVE YOU NEED A 3000 DOLLAR PC JUST TO PLAY SOLITAIRE.

/S

The problem is that consoles can be had for $350.

With a budget of $350, it's difficult to get a GPU that outperforms the onboard Iris graphics anyway.

No one seems to go that low with these posts :D

the point is better value rather than make something more powerful for cheaper. :P

also most of those came with peripherials. :/

TACOS.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

the point is better value rather than make something more powerful for cheaper. :P

also most of those came with peripherials. :/

TACOS.

Great, but if you're going to have to play all your games at low-medium settings, then why bother?

Great, but if you're going to have to play all your games at low-medium settings, then why bother?

because low/medium settings are still a good experience. its not 200 fps at 4k. but its still fun. and its still nice to have.

its also a fully fledged computer. the only thing people buy a console for is games. otherwise they need thier tablet/computer. with this kind of an option you can skip the console, and computer otherwise. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

With these builds you get the option of playing EVERY game at 1080p 60fps, albeit with some compromise on settings. For most people, this is a tradeoff they're willing to make. Consoles don't give you that choice. They force you to play at 792p 30fps so they can cram in more anti-aliasing and motion blur, which is really silly imo. And the difference between ultra and low has gotten very small in recent years. The settings that truly matter are texture resolution and model quality. Other things like DOF and AO make a difference, but often the image just looks a bit different as opposed to plain better. I'd take resolution and framerate over AO any time.

And as @BurgerBum pointed out, this is still a multipurpose machine.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You get the choice as to whether you turn graphics up and aim for 30fps, or you turn down and aim for 60, or if you care about running at native resolution. These are decisions made for you on console, and they're made with pretty marketing screenshots in mind and not playability.

Pretty sure integrated graphics can handle most games at their lowest settings though, so a 260X shouldn't be that terrible.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bcs3vK Here´s mine, it´s 1000 for everything and you could chop off a little. It´s a compact 1080p machine that should last for years and it´s easily upgradable without the need of throwing away anything. For example here are some upgrades for the future: 

1. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dWs3vK 

2 .http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dhXwK8

3. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YkZbxr

4.http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9s7NZL

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bcs3vK Here´s mine, it´s 1000 for everything and you could chop off a little. It´s a compact 1080p machine that should last for years and it´s easily upgradable without the need of throwing away anything. For example here are some upgrades for the future: 

1. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dWs3vK 

2 .http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dhXwK8

3. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YkZbxr

4.http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9s7NZL

PLS

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Pls what?

Aside from the fact those systems are very unbalanced (you'd benefit a lot more from a better graphics card than from an i7 or 16gb of ram, and having 2 270s in crossfire doesn't make sense) console alternatives need to be budget friendly, not 1000$. There is also 0 need for all those extra fans.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Aside from the fact those systems are very unbalanced (you'd benefit a lot more from a better graphics card than from an i7 or 16gb of ram, and having 2 270s in crossfire doesn't make sense) console alternatives need to be budget friendly, not 1000$. There is also 0 need for all those extra fans.

The i7 was so it´d be good in 5-7 years but could get a i5 and a better gpu

The i7 was so it´d be good in 5-7 years but could get a i5 and a better gpu

and that was something I did in 10 mins so yeah

Mobo would probably need bios update to support 4790k

Still it's too much if you want to build a console killer

But as has been already said in the thread you use computer for many other things, not just gaming.. So if you buy a console you also buy notebook/tablet/computer for other stuff - browsing, making homeworks etc.

So it's more logical to not buy two separate thing and buy everything in one (what you save on not buying another PC - just buy one good rig) unless you need the other thing to be portable.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Funny I'm reading this... I am someone that has played, and enjoyed, consoles since the regular nintendo/atari days... (late 80's) In December I bought an Xbox One got home played Farcry 4 for about 4/5 hours that night... Went to lay down and just thought to myself "This isn't really much of an upgrade. Hell for what I paid for this I could have a decent PC.." And here I am ready to build! 

• 6 months later...

should really update this

fair enough

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Id'e honestly go APU at that price point. Once Skylake goes i3's/ Pentiums then it'll be nice.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Id'e honestly go APU at that price point. Once Skylake goes i3's/ Pentiums then it'll be nice.

apus aren't nearly as powerful as these though. They are good if you can't afford these or don't game too much and want to spend your money in an ssd.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I bought my Dell precision t3500: 8gb ram 750gb hard drive intel Xeon processor

and it cme installed with Windows 7 professional

and keyboard and mouse

and 22inch 1050p monitor

and a friend gave me his old graphics card for $300

if you want really good performance sell the monitor and get a gtx 750 ti pny 2gb oc edition and it is definitely worth the price

please tell me his old GPU wasn't the 750ti. If it was you got ripped off hardcore. As in 600%..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

There really should be some set guidelines for building console alternatives.

For starters, the OS, keyboard and mouse shouldn't be included, imo. If you've never had a PC, sure, it's extra expense, but I'm fairly certain most people already have one. Why did I say that the OS shouldn't be included? Because SteamOS could easily be installed (and it's free) and Steam has surpassed the 1500 games mark recently, so there's some choice of games.

IMO console alternatives ARE relevant, since you can get more lifetime out of them as well as more usability (you don't need to only play games on your PC, you can do other things too!), somewhat of a futureproofing due to the option to upgrade your hardware when needed and better prices on games (with Steam sales being a thing, you're bound to save a nice sum of money. There are also alot of sites that offer cheaper games. I'll be preparing a guide on those for my 2k milestone).

You'll probably see a rant pop up soonish detailing why exactly console alternatives are relevant

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220