NVIDIA Responds to GTX 970 3.5GB Memory Issue

TheBoneyKing

Meanwhile, at AMD HQ:

1409453963_1386547293_fyz12s_rb21klc.gif

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Bullshit, they're just covering up.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Meanwhile, at AMD HQ:

1409453963_1386547293_fyz12s_rb21klc.gif

Then just meant to be an endless loading image? If so, ba dum tss

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So it sounds like they knew about this all along since they designed the damn memory controller, and screwed a bunch of people that though they were getting a 4gb card into getting a 3.5gb card.

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

All I am saying is NV would have immediately responded if what his article claims did not express NV's official position.

If you are referring to this article: http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Ubisoft-Responds-Low-Frame-Rates-Assassins-Creed-Unity , it did not read to me the same way it did to you. If that quote of yours is actually a quote, please link me the article because that would be pretty f'ed up!

I rewatched the video and he didn't say that. For some reason I thought he called people "fucking idiots", but all he said was "You don't know shit about game development" and other comments that are in defense of Ubisoft.

The part that irritated me started at 12:25

I haven't even been able to get to the bios page, gigabytes site is dead xD the guy said they released a bios update for all its 970 cards

I went and checked, they only have BIOS for 3 revisions, but there's like 8 revisions of G1 970's already.

They don't have one for me :/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I went and checked, they only have BIOS for 3 revisions, but there's like 8 revisions of G1 970's already.

They don't have one for me :/

damn, how do you know your revision? 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

snip

Ah I do now remember that podcast, (usually in the background on Thursday evenings unless something grabs my attention). Damn Ryan does get a bit pissy! In all fairness, PCPER was getting flooded with hate that week and I'm sure it is frustrating to receive endless flack from people who (vast majority) truly don't know what they are talking about.

I completely understand you wanting another source to confirm this report, that makes sense to me regardless of what one thinks of a specific reviewer.

Thanks for embedding the vid, I really do appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Ah I do now remember that podcast, (usually in the background on Thursday evenings unless something grabs my attention). Damn Ryan does get a bit pissy! In all fairness, PCPER was getting flooded with hate that week and I'm sure it is frustrating to receive endless flack from people who (vast majority) truly don't know what they are talking about.

I completely understand you wanting another source to confirm this report, that makes sense to me regardless of what one thinks of a specific reviewer.

Thanks for embedding the vid, I really do appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Right. I'd understand if that was the case, but still. Though, the person that really irritated me the most in the video was the bald guy.

Even if so i can tell you now im never buying Nvidia ever again after today i cant trust that company's shady work anymore.

damn, how do you know your revision? 

GPU-Z will give you a BIOS name where it says "BIOS version"

For instance mine is 84.04.28.00.4D, right now they only have 3, none of which mine matches.

If I was to flash one, (I have in the past when making custom BIOS's, it will cut my display-out to my second monitor, and will BSOD if nvidia's driver starts.)  Only solution is to boot into safemode, uninstall nvidia's driver, then boot normally and re-flash the original bios.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Hate to say it, but you guys are really reminding me of people who are up in arms and threatening lawsuits because they got a new 32GB phone only to find out 4GB of it is taken up by the OS already.

Is the 970 a bad buy for 4k, when pairing them in SLI? Should we go CF MSI Lightning 290X's?

id say that the 970 is  bad buy period. Also From my understanding the fact you are running SLI won't matter, the only thing that dictates how high a resolution you can run is your vram, and your vram isnt doubled in SLI or crossfire.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

AMD is the best option for consumers. They make everything cheap or free. Nvidia has G-sync and you need very expensive monitor and you need 200$ shitty nvidia thing. you have to open monitor and insert that thing into it. AMD has free-sync and it's better :)

AMD made mantle and pushed MS to make Directx 12 way better then dx11. 

AMD will have HBM and 4096 bit bus and 500-600 GB/s bandwith.

AMD has many interesting technologies on the GPU side. their cards are simply cheaper and way powerfull then nvidias

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I think people are forgetting why they bought a 970. It's still a good card.

This just smears the purchase with a tad of guilt and betrayal.

I bought it because it was supposed to be a 4GB card capable of actually using 4GB profitably. Not a 3.5GB card with 0.5GB of slow access memory. I didn't buy it because of TDP, as I don't care the slightest about that.

It's a nice card, but the opportunity cost of getting it was passing on the R9 290x, which seems to be the superior card in light of this.

I would have to wait for both Linus and Logan to comment their opinions on this, as they are the 2 opinions in youtube tech reviews that I trust most.

As an Asus Strix 970 owner, I'm not sure what to think. I would be exstatic if I could return this "defective" GPU for a free 980 upgrade >.>

<.<

Agreed. I demand a free 980!

I doubt it. Probably what will happen is a class action lawsuit and we both get a check for $17 in 2027.

so basically its just like the 660/660 Ti, where 0.5GB of ram is kneecapped on the 2GB versions.

It's not the first time Nvidia have sold a card with a section of gimped memory, and it won't be the last. It sucks for anyone playing @ higher resolutions, or wanting to utilize all 4GB, but that's what people get for jumping on a hype train.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR