NVIDIA Responds to GTX 970 3.5GB Memory Issue

TheBoneyKing

It's not just unethical - it's illegal.

In more competitive markets, NVIDIA would have had alot of lawsuits for their practices and missinformation. This isn't the first time they do it, neither will be the last - but this one is completely off the charts, this is the kind of stuff that get products banned from markets. 

I'll let the courts decide if it's illegal or not, however to me it's just as bad as everyone else's.  I don't like it, I think they should be financially punished as a reminder not to do it.  However I don't consider it to be any worse than what every other company does e.g Asus and their audio marketing could easily be considered as bad if not worse. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i would like to know Linus and is co workers opinion on this subject, he did a pretty good coverage of the event launch day.

what should NV do  opinion? 

I'll let the courts decide if it's illegal or not, however to me it's just as bad as everyone else's.  I don't like it, I think they should be financially punished as a reminder not to do it.  However I don't consider it to be any worse than what every other company does e.g Asus and their audio marketing could easily be considered as bad if not worse. 

That's why I brought the need for a competitive market to control this cases: sometimes you read storys about advertisement, like Apple VS Samsung , LG VS Samsung (in home appliances), etc.

Because, unfortunately, the regulators sometimes don't have the technical knowledge to spot this situations and they let it pass if a complaint isn't made.

What they did wasn't ethical, absolutely, however anyone who spent $$ one two of these for better than 2560x1440 at highest quality settings didn't do their research.  Ram cliff or not, all the reviews said they couldn't do it so there is nothing really to get disappointed about.

Thank you. All the reviews quiet plainly stated that 1440 is the limit for this card, go 980 if you want 4K on any level of acceptable performance. But nope, people like to cherry pick what benchmarks they use to support whatever position they have at the moment. 

These "revelations" change nothing about the card. ITs the same card. As shown by prior benchmarks. Don't get that upset that you failed to do proper research before spending 350 dollars on a piece of PCB and silicon. 

I love the extreme fanboyism behind the "its fine that they completely lied about stuff because it runs really fast and also we hardly even need that much VRAM"

.....like...really? are you actually defending this? how...

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

i would like to know Linus and is co workers opinion on this subject, he did a pretty good coverage of the event launch day.

what should NV do  opinion? 

I would also like to know why Linus and other reviewers didnt spot the issue when testing and reviewing the card?

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I've been rockin' 1GB of VRAM for ages now. guys, what's 1440p? haha

1GB vram club!

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I love the extreme fanboyism behind the "its fine that they completely lied about stuff because it runs really fast and also we hardly even need that much VRAM"

What thread have you been reading? no one here has said it's fine they lied.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What thread have you been reading? no one here has said it's fine they lied.

Some have insinuated that it is on the basis that the consumer "should have known better".

Some have insinuated that it is on the basis that the consumer "should have known better".

Which one?  I had a quick browse back through and haven't seen a comment that could be categorized as supporting the false advertising let alone "extreme" in nature.

Honestly, I'm defending NVIDIA on this issue a bit more than I probably should, but I've stated several times that they need backlash from this event because blatant lying, or even if it's not lying, such poor mistakes should not be tolerated from a company with so much money to invest.

What they're actually getting back, however, is completely absurd, considering the card we have now is the card we had before the news was broken. People are acting as if NVIDIA completely lied about all benchmarks that have so far been releasd, when in reality, they're the exact same. While I can understand the issue with the VRAM, I don't understand the massive issue with the ROPs, a spec that I'm sure that near every buyer of the 970 completely overlooked when they were considering the card.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Which one?  I had a quick browse back through and haven't seen a comment that could be categorized as supporting the false advertising let alone "extreme" in nature.

I will simply not name names. There are other threads of this topic in the graphics forum and the other big thread in tech news. Try looking there. 

I will simply not name names. There are other threads of this topic in the graphics forum and the other big thread in tech news. Try looking there. 

@LukaP is probably the closest anyone has come to saying the consumer should be aware but even he didn't say it was ok for nvidia to lie. 

Have some balls and name names otherwise stop playing coy like its some daytime soap opera. 

People telling everyone to calm down and think rationally ≠ people accepting what Nvidia did. Its possible (in the real world, with adult thinking) that people can be upset with what happened yet still be rational and be calm about everything. Perhaps the other 90% of this forum should try it. 

Have some balls and name names otherwise stop playing coy like its some daytime soap opera. 

People telling everyone to calm down and think rationally ≠ people accepting what Nvidia did. Its possible (in the real world, with adult thinking) that people can be upset with what happened yet still be rational and be calm about everything. Perhaps the other 90% of this forum should try it. 

I refuse to use childish qualms as an excuse to exercise my "e-peen". I'd much rather debate in a rational manner and treat others like adults. You may choose to do what you do but I hold myself to a higher bar. 

At the end of the day there are two issues going on:

1. is the false advertising.

2. the other is people thinking that because of the false advertising their cards performance has somehow changed.

What people don't get is that explaining why 2. is wrong does not automatically make you a denier of number 1. 

In fact if anyone is dumb enough to think the 970 is in anyway less powerful now than it was demonstrated to be prior to this surfacing, then you are dumb enough not to understand how they are two issues.

And the end of the day there are two issues going on:

2. the other is people thinking that because of the false advertising their cards performance has somehow changed.

What people don't get is that explaining why 2. is wrong does not automatically make you a denier of number 1. 

In fact if anyone is dumb enough to think the 970 is in anyway less powerful now than it was demonstrated to be prior to this surfacing, then you are dumb enough not to understand how they are two issues.

Yup, all any of us have been saying. 

We accepted #1, we reject #2. Like adults. 

Too difficult for some to handle, it seems. 

And the end of the day there are two issues going on:

Well said. It's unfortunate to see a few so caught up in the performance numbers that they fail to address the real issue at hand. 

Well.... Nvidia seem to be damage limiting everything... including their forum, however ridiculous it is. 

I wasn't even being rash, check my post they deleted, simply honest and my own personal opinion. (Narcosis2009 on the Nvidia Forums) :

:S

Well.... Nvidia seem to be damage limiting everything... including their forum, however ridiculous it is. 

I wasn't even being rash, check my post they deleted, simply honest and my own personal opinion. (Narcosis2009 on the Nvidia Forums) :

:S

I feel bad for people like you  :(.

I thought they openly admitted their fault, and that would knock some ethical sense and shame onto them; and make them feel pity for their fellow customers and fans.

Getting ripped off and then them deleting your angry post because it put's them (rightly) in a bad light?

This is over atrocious. I don't even have the words to explain how bad this is.

You are the ones who need to stand up against them! Posting madly on the forums won't help, as many people in this thread are already fed up about this. Rather you should try to RMA the card, sign the petition to refund the 970 (https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-refund-for-gtx-970) and file a complaint to your national Advertising Standards Committee. This should have the biggest impact to my knowledge.

All the best man.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.