G-Sync/FreeSync & Why I'm Not Buying Either

FreeSync only works with displayport as well...

It's not how business works and it is indeed an issue. Walled garden ecosystems are bad for the consumer, period.

I never said it was the right way to conduct business, but companies are out for money not their consumers and I'd imagine everyone would choose the same decision when the predicted profits would yield much higher than another option even if it hurts the end consumer. 

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3

I never said it was the right way to conduct business, but companies are out for money not their consumers and I'd imagine everyone would choose the same decision when the predicted profits would yield much higher than another option even if it hurts the end consumer. 

Their profit yields would drop significantly if the consumer refused to buy into the bullshit.

I'm all for capitalism, more than most die-hard right-wingers, actually, but PC gaming is becoming more and more divided and segmented off.. kinda like the console peasant marketplace.

*sigh*

Their profit yields would drop significantly if the consumer refused to buy into the bullshit.

I'm all for capitalism, more than most die-hard right-wingers, actually, but PC gaming is becoming more and more divided and segmented off.. kinda like the console peasant marketplace.

*sigh*

As I've mentioned I do not agree with these practices, but you may need a better understanding of business.

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3

As I've mentioned I do not agree with these practices, but you may need a better understanding of business.

Understanding of business is irrelevant. Understanding how businesses fuck over consumers is what matters here.

FreeSync only works with displayport as well...

It works only with DP, but the monitor can have other inputs as well. The gsync module doesn't unless the monitor has 2 (one for gsync and the other without).

It works only with DP, but the monitor can have other inputs as well. The gsync module doesn't unless the monitor has 2 (one for gsync and the other without).

Ah, I see... I must've misread that.

The argument that freesync is better becuase is open source is invalid as there are only 2 companies in the gpu market. Because in this situation, they are both effectively closed-source, as there is noone to share the open source variable refresh with.

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

Honestly, I've never even seen tearing in action. So to me it doesn't really matter as much.

Honestly, I've never even seen tearing in action. So to me it doesn't really matter as much.

Once I upgraded to a 144Hz monitor I could no longer notice it unless I looked really hard.

Now I play with v-sync disabled.

B)

Sooo, since I'll be in the market for a monitor soon, and I have SLI GTX 970s (regrettably) do I pretty much have to buy a G-Sync monitor as opposed to FreeSync? Or will FreeSync work with everything?

It's kind of irritating seeing as how all of these new monitors that have 1440p 144Hz IPS panels are one or the other.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

The argument that freesync is better becuase is open source is invalid as there are only 2 companies in the gpu market. Because in this situation, they are both effectively closed-source, as there is noone to share the open source variable refresh with.

The difference is that the scaler manufacturers are free to design a scaler that works with FreeSync. However, if you want a scaler that works with GSync, you _must_ buy it off Nvidia.

Sooo, since I'll be in the market for a monitor soon, and I have SLI GTX 970s (regrettably) do I pretty much have to buy a G-Sync monitor as opposed to FreeSync? Or will FreeSync work with everything?

It's kind of irritating seeing as how all of these new monitors that have 1440p 144Hz IPS panels are one or the other.

If I were you, I would avoid buying a Gsync monitor just to avoid supporting a standard that is doomed to obsolesence, but it's up to you.

The difference is that the scaler manufacturers are free to design a scaler that works with FreeSync. However, if you want a scaler that works with GSync, you _must_ buy it off Nvidia.

If I were you, I would avoid buying a Gsync monitor just to avoid supporting a standard that is doomed to obsolesence, but it's up to you.

After the shenanigans with the 970, I don't think I'll be buying anything Nvidia for a long long time.

But does this mean that I wouldn't be able to use FreeSync at all? I'm not particularly knowledgeable in the monitor field...lol.

And are there any FreeSync monitors coming out in the near future that are 1440p 144Hz IPS?

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

After the shenanigans with the 970, I don't think I'll be buying anything Nvidia for a long long time.

But does this mean that I wouldn't be able to use FreeSync at all? I'm not particularly knowledgeable in the monitor field...lol.

And are there any FreeSync monitors coming out in the near future that are 1440p 144Hz IPS?

FreeSync is for AMD GPUs. ASUS is coming out with a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor (MG279Q). Probably going to be a while before release though.

If you got a freesync monitor then it'd work with other cards it just wouldn't do the variable refresh rate thing on NVidia's gear. I wouldn't be surprised if Intel also started to support freesync for what that's worth. So my gut feeling is that if you're in the market for a new monitor and are not wedded to NVidia's ecosystem? Grab a freesync monitor because for decent monitors it'll basically be a free feature. If however you're wedded to the NVidia ecosystem, have an NVidia card already, have thought about the NVidia shield or maybe even have one AND want variable refresh rate? Go with gsync.

As for that monitor, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was that that particular monitor was going to support both freesync and gsync. It may have been another monitor but I am fairly confident that there was at least one monitor at CES that was going to support both. I suspect that this may become fairly common amongst the higher end panels.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

-snip- Grab a freesync monitor because for decent monitors it'll basically be a free feature. -snip-

No, I don't think it could possibly be that good. Contrary to the name, FreeSync monitors will cost more to design than monitors with neither Freesync or GSync, and this cost will inevitably be passed onto consumers. We can only hope that the extra cost is not as high as for a GSync monitor.

No, I don't think it could possibly be that good. Contrary to the name, FreeSync monitors will cost more to design than monitors with neither Freesync or GSync, and this cost will inevitably be passed onto consumers. We can only hope that the extra cost is not as high as for a GSync monitor.

My understanding was that it was it was a feature that monitors already out could already support but that it was just a firmware update to unlock it. There are no royalties and it's not a change in the hardware itself. Sure for cheaper monitors, getting freesync on them will have a noticeable bump in cost. For higher end gear? Gear that is already $400+ and was going to use DisplayPort anyways? I guess technically there will be some cost, but it'll be trivial compared to the cost of the monitor to the point where it's effectively free.

If freesync is only a $10-50 "premium"? You're not going to really notice that if you're shopping for a higher end monitor.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I have a g sync monitor, buy if amd were to release an amazingly powerful card at a decent price I wouldnt think twice about jumping ship.

I've lived without g sync all my gaming life and its never been a deal breaker for me. yeah tearing is a thing, but no it doesn't bother me. its normally so infrequent it's not something I worry about.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I have a g sync monitor, buy if amd were to release an amazingly powerful card at a decent price I wouldnt think twice about jumping ship.

I've lived without g sync all my gaming life and its never been a deal breaker for me. yeah tearing is a thing, but no it doesn't bother me. its normally so infrequent it's not something I worry about.

I don't notice it either but I think it is BECAUSE I've always had to deal with it. If you would look for it, you'd clearly see tearing without vsync. In some games it's worse than others, but it's always there I guarantee you. 

I just love how fanboys identify themselves to either company to the point of writing walls of texts like they're being paid to do so. 

That's what you get when the market is a duopoly, endless and endless flamewars while everyone is getting fucked equally and is too blind to actually realize it. 

I miss those simpler times where everyone had his own api and all the gpu's were equally crap. Except Voodoo's. Voodoo's were the shit. 

SLI works soo much better than crossfire

Of course it does, nvidia bought the technology "pre-made" when they acquired 3dfx while ati had to develop it's own 

Of course it does, nvidia bought the technology "pre-made" when they acquired 3dfx while ati had to develop it's own 

And even after all this time crossfire still sucks...

FreeSync is for AMD GPUs. ASUS is coming out with a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor (MG279Q). Probably going to be a while before release though.

Asus said that they are planning to release that monitor in Q2 of this year.

When it comes to the whole G-Sync vs FreeSync argument, I definitely blame Nvidia for creating this situation in the first place.

I'm more inclined to go the FreeSync route.

If you are given a choice between 3 monitors, one monitor that has standard specs, one that shares same specs and price plus FreeSync, and one last one with G-Sync plus $100 added to cost... Most people will be inclined to go with the FreeSync monitor just because its a free feature.

It literally does not make sense to choose a G-Sync monitor other than if you Nvidia fan or own an Nvidia GPU solely because the premium prices on those monitors.

At the same time, you don't really lose anything by buying a FreeSync monitor. If you have a card that supports FreeSync its definitely a plus, if not you don't really lose anything in the value of the monitor.

And there were no monitors that supported both FreeSync and G-Sync this year.

If you are given a choice between 3 monitors, one monitor that has standard specs, one that shares same specs and price plus FreeSync, and one last one with G-Sync plus $100 added to cost... Most people will be inclined to go with the FreeSync monitor just because its a free feature.

FreeSync monitors will likely carry a price premium as well. New tech always does.

Not a fan of AMD cards anyways so being locked to Nvidia means nothing to me. I'm not gonna settle for a worse gaming experience because of some free ideals. Enjoy being free and I'll enjoy G-Sync.

Not a fan of AMD cards anyways so being locked to Nvidia means nothing to me. I'm not gonna settle for a worse gaming experience because of some free ideals. Enjoy being free and I'll enjoy G-Sync.

I bet Nvidia loves blind loyalists like yourself...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the exact attitude that allows companies to get away with this bullshit.

I bet Nvidia loves blind loyalists like yourself...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the exact attitude that allows companies to get away with this bullshit.

How many times do people need to answer ALL your questions and debunk your points before you get it?

It almost seems like you dont care about learning anything or any results... seems almost like you just want to argue endlessly for the sake of arguing.

Adaptive sync does the same as gsync and costs less, AND is licence and royalty free, so anyone can support it. I see precisely ZERO reason why supporting this would be anything short of Utopian standards.

The standards that you seem to want, but thats not good enough for you too... almost like you need the attention.

Oh and you refuse TO GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKULL that some of us are 100% done with ever enjoying games with tearing and stutter again. So, if there is a monitor with gsync that isnt there with freesync, or someone doesnt want to abandon his/her SLI setup... we WILL BUY gsync too.