Strong monitor

Pip_Buoy

So I'm planning my first build that I will start later this year. It's going to be a mini-ITX as I'll be transporting it to and from uni several times a year. Since I'll be taking all my stuff home at the end of each term I need a monitor that either: has a detachable stand - without which it is totally flat - so I can pack it safely; or I need a strong display that should be sturdy enough to transport, maybe one with a glass panel for added strength. I was hoping to get a 1080p monitor around 23", but it can be slightly different. I don't want to spend more than £150 ($235).

Hope there is something suitable, thanks in advance for the help.

Glass panel is a terrible choice. If it's on screen, it will be tempered glass so that if it sharers it comes down in small tiny peaces, so that you can pick it up without much danger. However, the problem with tempered glass, is that if you hit the wrong side, you get this:

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/6411028_700b_v1.jpg

Also, i can assume you, I used to have a glass table (tempered glass) and ANYTHING will scratch it. It's ridiculously easy to scratch.

You need this long time discontinued Asus monitor though:

:p

In all seriousness, good LCD monitors, are though, due to the high build quality. They won't resists a hammer hit, but if you put a protective layer around foam to avoid scratches, that fits in front of the panel, then you are good. The foam will absorb general hits, the cover around the foam will avoid scratches, and the foam will dissipate knocks, to make it a bit harder to break the panel. It's not full proof of course. but it's better than nothing. Also non-glossy monitors are harder to see scratches, as micro scratches aren't visible. But on a glossy screen, they are big time.

I would suggest the Dell U2412HM, or the U2312HM or the U2213HM. The stand is a lack system, using 1 button, so it's easy to remove and put back. The stand is solid with metal.. The mechanical system to adjust the monitor is also in metal. Build quality of the monitor is high. it's non glossy as well, and doesn't break the bank.

If not, then just buy the cheapest monitor possible, and if it breaks wtv buy another.

I wouldn't recommend getting a glass panel monitor because glare problems, and glass isn't a good material for transporting.

I have a ASUS VS2470 23.6" LED monitor and it's a pretty good monitor. It is also an inexpensive monitor; it is currently $190 on NewEgg. The stand comes completely off by removing four screws (or one screw to remove the base of the stand). The only minor problem I have with this monitor is that the neck of the stand isn't thick, so whenever I bump my desk, the monitor wobbles a little.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

My PC

• CPU: i7 2600k @4.5GHz
  • Cooler: Corsair H100
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 580 SC
  • PSU: Corsair AX-850w
  • Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth
  • HDD: WD 1TB Black Caviar
  • RAM: Corsair 8GB Dominator
  • Case: Corsair 600T White Edition
  • Monitors: ASUS 23.6" 1920x1080
  • Mouse: Microsoft Sidewinder
  • Keyboard: Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

I use the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, its a great 23" 1080p IPS monitor, plus the stand is strong, but it is also easily removed by just pushing a button at the back, and it just clicks right back into place when you want to attach it again. It might be over your budget, but maybe you can search around and find a good deal :-)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824260055

For £150, at 1080p and 23", I would definitely recommend looking into getting an IPS monitor. New cheaper IPS technologies such as e-IPS have allowed monitors with these technologies to hit your price point. The LG IPS234 and Dell S2340L/U2312HM would be good choices.

You were a noob once too!

Thanks for the advice, I didn't realise that glass would be worse.

I was looking at the LG IPS234, I think I may go with that but i'll decide when I have the rest of the parts.

Alternatively I may use an old monitor we have, its not a gaming one and the resolution isn't amazing, but it would be free :P

The LG IPS234 is a good monitor. En entry level IPS, but good none the less for the price. Beats TN panels.