Project Desire - Inverted ATX - Front Panel Teaser - 19th Sept

MWildd

Whats up guys! So this is the start of project Desire!

So this project is going to be based around a Corsair 300r. Yes, a small 'budget' case. But my mission is to take a lower end case and fit all the things a high end build would have, and still look tasteful.
This build will, eventually, be cooled by a custom water loop. Emphasise on the eventually. I am only a student, therefore rely on earning my money from a part time job: but i am on summer holiday therefore i can work loads and earn the money i need. At least thats the plan.

So as mentioned above, funds are limited. Therefore this project log may stretch for a while. Not years, but maybe months.
I am going to start by performing the case mods, because they're the cheapest, and most fun. But i also already have a system for the time being.
So at the moment, expect lots of mod updates, and in the future lots of hardware updates.

Below i have put together a list of the components that I plan to use. But this list is subject to change.

The Parts:
Case - Corsair 300R
Motherboard: Gigabyte z87-UD3H or Asus z87 Sabertooth
CPU - Intel Haswell i5 4670K
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro (So Sexy)
PSU - Anything above 700W
GPU - Either a 770 or a 670
Storage - Already own a 60gb ocz SSD, either 2x samsunjg 840 120gb pro's or 1x kingston 240gb

Cooling:
Cpu Block: EK Supreme LTX Copper Acetal WB
GPU Block: EK FC670 CSQ Copper Acetal WB & EK FC670 CSQ Backplate
Reservoir: Bitspower Z-Multi 250mm Water Tank Res : Clear
Pump: 12V DDC Pump
Radiator: XSPC RS360 360mm Rad & XSPC RS240 240mm Rad
Tubing: Chromed Copper Pipes

These parts will change, especially the cooling parts, as i cant predict where i will be funds wise and what will best suit my needs.

The original Case:
This is a picture of the stock 300R, just incase you havent come across it before.
GRn1JzE.png
Overall its a pretty nice case. For £60 you get what you pay for and a little more. When I first bought this case i was like woah £60 is a little dear. I've never paid more than 30. But i don't regret the spend and definitely wouldn't spend a dime less in the future.

I'm not going to write a full review cause theres plenty out there, but its a pretty solid case as far as features go.

The Vision:
Now, i'm no sketchup pro, therefore i stayed as far away as possible. Instead i went to what i know, Photoshop. Some of these renders are a little sketchy but they are only to give you an idea of my vision.
So here are a couple sketches i've put together of what i intend to do, and a little description to help explain my ideas.

The Front Panel:
JDBX6TT.jpg
So this is my proposed front panel. I am going to use a piece of aluminum to cover the original front panel. There is going to be alot of rounded corners in this build, hence the rounded triangles. So for the mesh im going to use the original front panel mesh on the 300R, because i like the silver corsair logo and want to keep it. For the black acrylic, you guessed it, im going to use an opaque black acrylic. I dont really want this to act as a window, hence the opaque acrylic rather than smoked. Also i am relocating the usb and headphone ports, just because i think they look better on the side.

Side Panel -
NGZRiXj.jpg
So again with the rounded corners. Ive split the window into 2 sections, just because i think it makes it look a bit cooler. Unlike the front acrylic this is going to be smoked. So when the system is off, you cant see in, but when lights are on you can. Up top your probably wondering what is protruding out. Unfortunately, corsair didnt really design this chasis to fit a H100/radiator up top. So instead of just having fans or a rad planted on top, i thought id make a feature out of it. So im going to be using metal spacers to elevate a piece of black acrylic up, and then extend the roof section to accomodate a 360 radiator, currently only holes and space for a 240mm. This elevation technique will also be used on the side panel windows, dont ask why i just think it will look cool.

Theres also some other features that im going to be vague about until actually doing, just because im not 100% on the design yet.

Inside -
xEn4Stf.jpg
So this is ,obviously by far, the most vague render. I couldnt really envision it in photoshop so i thought id go barbones and just show a vague layout. The res placing is almost definite. Unless i come across problems down the line. But the loop, flow etc is all just ideas. I am going to use alu or acrylic to section off the bottom and front, removing the drive cages and 5.25" bays. This will make room for a 240 in the front.

So those are the main ideas and things that i am going to do. I hope you like! If anyone has any ideas/improvements, please feel free to leave your suggestions down below!

I have already made a start on the front panel and the sectioning of the internals, so expect an update soon!

And heres a rough little render of it all put together:
P2ccM0t.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Wow, that design is really nice. Love it :)

Thanks man :D

wow this will look really cool can`t wait to see more

Thankyou dude :)

Nice the front mesh reminds me of the nanosuit from crysis for some reason looking forward to seeing this done :)

lol i wish i knew what you was talking about, but im sure it looks sweet! thanks :D haha

Interesting. Can't wait to see the actual thing. :)

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I love the design. Looking forward to see more :)

Awesome design, have fun

thanks dude, ill try haha 

Interesting. Can't wait to see the actual thing. :)

Thanks, same here

I love the design. Looking forward to see more :)

Thanks man 

I have made a start on the front panel, im waiting for some acrylic to be delivered then ill post an update

I finnished my 300r build yesterday and it looks really nice, keep in mind though that alot of motherboards wont allow for a 2x120 rad or a 2x140 rad in the top with it mounted inside the case with the given mounting holes. I had to use some snippers and cut away pices of the mesh to fit mine there. I really thinbk people underestimate the 300r becaus eits a really nice case though unfortunatly it feels a bit cheap in soe places. I would like the front panel to be in brushed aluminum. I really like the use of smoke acryllic in your sketches and i cant wait to see more. Nice job :D

the front mesh reminds me of the nanosuit from crysis for some reason

Hexagons. Lots and lots of hexagons. :D

Looks very nice so far, looking forward to more.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I finnished my 300r build yesterday and it looks really nice, keep in mind though that alot of motherboards wont allow for a 2x120 rad or a 2x140 rad in the top with it mounted inside the case with the given mounting holes. I had to use some snippers and cut away pices of the mesh to fit mine there. I really thinbk people underestimate the 300r becaus eits a really nice case though unfortunatly it feels a bit cheap in soe places. I would like the front panel to be in brushed aluminum. I really like the use of smoke acryllic in your sketches and i cant wait to see more. Nice job :D

yea i found that with my h100. Thats why im doing the roof mod with the acrylic roof, so i can have the rad/fans outside and then the fans/rad inside! 

Im a big fan of it. I do think people see it as being a cheap case, and as you said in places it is, but in all fairness its a pretty good case

Hexagons. Lots and lots of hexagons. :D

Looks very nice so far, looking forward to more.

thanks dude

Got work until 6 today guys but hopefully post some sort of an update later

Wow, looks really good. Can't wait to see it come to life!

I like it! It gives it kind if a classy/ futuristic look to it

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Love the mock ups, really give a definitive goal for the build.

Thanks man, hope it turns out like them tbh.

Wow, looks really good. Can't wait to see it come to life!

Haha keep an eye here then! :D

I like it! It gives it kind if a classy/ futuristic look to it

Thats sorta what i was going for, aswell as stealthy, not alot of colours other than black

Nice ideas so far.

Thanks man :D

UPDATE

So ive made some progress with the front panel mod. 

First i went and bought some sheet aluminium. I bought 2 because i thought id mess up, but alas i havent!

So here comes some pictures!

FXsObB6l.jpg

so this is my build that started in the 300R but unfortunately got put off due to college work and stuffs. Pretty disgusting i know.

KlpgUokl.jpg

So before i started i needed to add to my tool collection. Going to be doing a fair bit of metal work so needed a range of files and the case will be coming apart so need some way to assemble it again.

2EywGbhl.jpg

Unfortunately i didnt get a before picture of the panel, but i think you can imagine what a flat panel of aluminum looks like!

So i first bent the sheet into the shape of the front of the 300R fascia. Trust me. Without an angle bender, this is a nightmare! Took a while to figure out how to bend it and what to do it with! But i got there.

W4k8MGpl.jpg

Heres the panel sat ontop of the original front panel. Bend looks pretty on point to me.

jVJ4WAFl.jpg

So i go to use my drill to make the mounting holes, and it doesnt charge. So heres what i replaced it with! Getting pretty expensive already.

GaW4ifxl.jpg

So heres the first bolt mounted. Im using the same mounting holes that are already on the 300r front panel, just for convenience more than anything.

lPPuYLvl.jpg

Bolt front a different angle

NOYFux4l.jpg

Got the second bolt drilled and screwed in.

ABMKZaRl.jpg

Had to take the front panel power button assembly out to find where i had to drill my hole. Pretty simple mechanism when you look at it in action.

yC1Y1C0l.jpg

Drilled an initial hole, just need to use a round file to get it to the right size and shape.

2giMR1zl.jpg

Quick bit of filing. Looks kinda sketchy, but trust me it got better a little bit later.

NPJuCiDl.jpg

Started to do some initial measurements and sketches. Remember, measure twice, cut once.

Had to use a compass in order to get the same curves in each corner. 

g3fM0dOl.jpg

Cutting templates drawn. You can see the slight dent, accidentally stepped on it. But not to worry, it gets cut out later!

Time for cutting. Bring on the dremel.

EeEOVyGl.jpg

Heres the sheet after being cut. The bottom triangle has already been filed and sanded so looks sharper. But after ive done the top theyll look the same! Everything seems to be lining up at the moment.

I didnt get as many before and after shots as id like but i suppose these will do.

GHdHnrZl.jpg

Heres the panel stood infront of the front panel. This isnt bolted on, hence the difference in lining up. 

I didnt actually get a shot of it bolted on so stay tuned for that!!

93h2fqCl.jpg

I also got the black acrylic for the front panel!!

So thats all i documented so far. I have done some more, ie installing the acrylic etc, but havent yet got pictures.

Stay tuned as i should have all but the painting done hopefully by tomorrow!!

Thanks for checking this out guys. :D

looking good already! :)

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

looking good already! :)

Thanks man!

So guys i have the front panel all done except for painting which ill be doing maybe next week!

Theres going to be a major update soon that doesnt regard the front panel, but instead something inside the case!!

Heres a teaser!!

From this:

yg2uCK3l.jpg

To this:

SsMnAtNl.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Stay Tuned!

Very cool. Are you adding any filters?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Very cool. Are you adding any filters?

which island are you from exactly?

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Coming together nicely

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

which island are you from exactly?

Trinidad and Tobago

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.