Regarding lossy, lossless, compressed, and uncompressed file formats

Hyydrah

I planned on switching most of my music from FLAC to apple lossless, however I stopped as soon as I found out my whole library wouldn't fit on my 64gb iPod.

So for now I keep my FLAC (2,000 songs) library and my iPod library (7,000 songs) separate. 

Edited by OmarCCX

I planned on switching most of my music from MP3 to apple lossless, however I stopped as soon as I found out my whole library wouldn't fit on my 64gb iPod.

So for now I keep my FLAC (2,000 songs) library and my iPod library (7,000 songs) separate. 

Are you converting the MP3s to FLAC or ripping the original (such as from a CD) to FLAC?

My mistake, I meant from FLAC to Apple lossless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I planned on switching most of my music from FLAC to apple lossless, however I stopped as soon as I found out my whole library wouldn't fit on my 64gb iPod.

FLAC reportedly has smaller file sizes on average (while maintaining the same audio quality, of course)

That just means you need a bigger ipod if you want to carry your whole flac library around.

FLAC reportedly has smaller file sizes on average (while maintaining the same audio quality, of course).  ;)

WavPack is even better from what ive heard. I do know that it handles greater than 6 channels properly unlike FLAC.

I really don't see the purpose of iPods anymore with smartphones nowadays.

Their only (possibly) large advantage is a better DAC/amp than many smartphones

Their only (possibly) large advantage is a better DAC/amp than many smartphones.

Maybe, but it's not enough of a difference imo to justify carrying two devices when you're on the go - same reason I don't understand portable dacs/amps for iPhones.

Maybe, but it's not enough of a difference imo to justify carrying two devices when you're on the go

Oh wait, are you talking about an MP3 player and a phone together at the same time?

In that case, I agree

Maybe, but it's not enough of a difference imo to justify carrying two devices when you're on the go - same reason I don't understand portable dacs/amps for iPhones.

Thats probably why your not a audiophile then...

No, he is. Check out his rig

I wouldn't prioritize the purchase of a mobile DAC/amp over a stationary DAC/amp, etc. These portable devices tend to be inferior to their desktop counterparts, plus I've yet to see a pocket-sized tube amp

>Has $700 DAC + Headphone Amp

>Not an audiophile

>mfw

1317935130317.jpg

>Not an audiophile

>mfw

1317935130317.jpg

Not to mention the headphones, music files, etc

No, he is. Check out his rig.

I wouldn't prioritize the purchase of a mobile DAC/amp over a stationary DAC/amp, etc. These portable devices tend to be inferior to their desktop counterparts, plus I've yet to see a pocket-sized tube amp.

Umm fine how about an extreme audiophile or an audiophile on-the-go? Yes I would agree but audiophiles want good quality music everywhere if they didnt companies wouldnt make products to do so.

Umm fine how about an extreme audiophile or an audiophile on-the-go? Yes I would agree but audiophiles want good quality music everywhere if they didnt companies wouldnt make products to do so.

I merely stated my personal opinion on the products. It's not like I'm suggesting they shouldn't exist or that people who use them are crazy.

>Not an audiophile

>mfw

Not to mention the headphones, music files, etc.

Sorry guys I corrected myself, plus I had no reason to check his sig.

I merely stated my personal opinion on the products. It's not like I'm suggesting they shouldn't exist or that people who use them are crazy.

And what I tried to say was basically your not hard core enough then or something to that effect, not that I am or anything. I do think though that owning something like the Hifiman HE800 or what ever that mp3 player was called with the dac with the swappable oamps is some major geek cred.

And what I tried to say was basically your not hard core enough then or something to that effect, not that I am or anything. I do think though that owning something like the Hifiman HE800 or what ever that mp3 player was called with the dac with the swappable oamps is some major geek cred.

I can actually understand buying something like that, just not an iPod or an amp/dac for an iPod/iPhone.

I'm personally waiting for Cowon to make an android phone with their usual great quality audio. 

I can actually understand buying something like that, just not an iPod or an amp/dac for an iPod/iPhone.

I'm personally waiting for Cowon to make an android phone with their usual great quality audio. 

Why not its really not all that different as long as it interfaces properly.

I kinda do want that mp3 player i mentioned but I dont think it was offered for some time and it was crazy expensive when it was.

Why not its really not all that different as long as it interfaces properly.

There is a difference between having a single well engineered awesome~sauce product for a specific application, and having a mass market product or two for the same application. The sheer geek sauce something like the hifiman oozes makes it worth it to me, whereas anything less seems like a burden to carry alongside my phone. Also, I wouldn't buy an amp for my phone because I'd feel tacky and the performance gains over the stand-alone phone are so slim.

Again, this is just my personal feelings - other users 'round here enjoy their portable amps daily.

I kinda do want that mp3 player i mentioned but I dont think it was offered for some time and it was crazy expensive when it was.

Get on your knees and beg.

Its screen is even better than most device's. This is truly godly.

If I could pick one product as an example of overkill, this is probably it.

Still, I wants.