Covering Windows 10 Briefing

cesrai

All my excitement for Windows 10 is now lost...

I am just sitting here waiting for them to announce that it will be subscription based.

Microsoft if you do that, you will have lost me as a very loyal customer.

Linux anyone? :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

This "free for a year thing" according to Dutch reporters means

"Upgrade within the year to get a free license" which will then last just as long as any other windows license.

Similarly to how windows 8 was only 15$ for an upgrade some time after launch.

That would indeed be cool. I wonder how they plan to monetize the OS if that is the case. as long as we don't get games for windows live 2.0, or basic windows funtions sold as "DLC" in the app store... *shudder*

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Well that's understandable that they want. Windows 10 will be an OS for all devices.

I am just worried they will sacrifice the functionality of one platform to increase it on another (see Windows 8).

I hope you're right. A lot of the "stuff that office workers will utilize" was not Windows 10 though, it was just office 365.

All these photo things seems terrible. I don't want Microsoft to automatically edit my images (or "enhance" them). I don't want them to sort my photos. All I want is for my pictures to show up in a list that I can sort based on name, size, date and stuff like that.

Don't edit things for me because I know what I want better than you do.

Hopefully you can turn it off.

I hope someone makes a supercut of "app" and "experience".

he did say you can disable all or some of the imaging enhances 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It's awesome if they are giving away free update for Win10 to all existing Win7 and 8.1 users. But it sounds too good to be true. They'll either give the most basic version of Win10 with bare minimum functionality or worse will try to charge for subscription fee. And I said it before I'll say it again. I will never pay for Windows if it goes subscription. I don't like subscription services. That's why I don't use any. I'd have used Audible for example if it was like Steam and not subscription based.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

lol the pop shoots at the verge

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

how long before google puts this on chrome

microsoft-windows-10-live-verge-_0870.jp

they must be like wat!?!?

...well I have to admit that Spartan has some nice features.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Phil spencer boys. Social and interactive zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

Steam on taskbar?!

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

And now Phil Spencer is up

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Spartans looks great I'm pretty impressed they might get me to switch from Chrome.

RTX2070OC 

he has steam installed next to xbox, look at the taskbar

what they are showing is stuff that office workers will utilize, their main audience, i guess they want to leave the stuff we mainly want to know last or they showed those last year in the reveal event

Exactly. 

Windows 10 will be on my work computers. I am of the opinion that for work, this will be a good upgrade that should improve and at the very least not screw anything up. 10/10 from me on that end. 

Personal use? Like I personally care. I don't want people putting words down my throat or saying I'm narrow minded; for my personal use I just don't give a shit what OS it is. I'll adapt and survive. My new rig will be a 10 rig anyways. I like forward progress and I'm pretty okay with dealing with the crap that comes with newer things. 

But so far, and throughout the technical preview, I've liked Windows 10. 

holy shit built in dvr on windows and works on any game, though it seems you can only use to put stuff on xbox live

Oh game DVR will be built in. That's actually a good feature.

I could not care less about a stupid Xbox app in Windows, but allowing me to record things without third party software? Give me please!

Hopefully they won't screw up hardware encoding support.

So there's now microsoft's version of Nvidia shadowplay (record in the background and save on demand). But only for 30 seconds. That's good I guess. 

The game dvr this sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully the quality of the video is good.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

he has steam installed next to xbox, look at the taskbar

Are they trying to imply that Xbox is their answer to Steam and it's on the same level? I know we love competition and crap but I personally don't trust Microsoft with that. My dream scenario would be if Microsoft struck a deal with Valve to integrate Steam to Windows. Never gonna happen.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Are they trying to imply that Xbox is their answer to Steam and it's on the same level? I know we love competition and crap but I personally don't trust Microsoft with that. My dream scenario would be if Microsoft struck a deal with Valve to integrate Steam to Windows. Never gonna happen.

I don't think you can buy games on the xbox app it's more of a social media if I get what he's saying.

Hopefully they announce something half exciting, phil spencer is meant to be announcing something when it comes to the gaming side of windows

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsofts-phil-spencer-talk-about-windows-10-gaming-companys-january-event

ea71651af3.png

@cesrai is it not on for another hr? 

"Windows will no longer support gaming, all things are moving to the Xbox"

Just my prediction.

Edit: Just saw what they're really doing. Meh, will have to see how good it is and if we can FINALLY GET SOME F**KING HALO PORTS

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

cross platform play? HOLLY BALLS!

Having a mini freakout at cross-platform play!

Edit: I WANT WINDOWS 10 NOW!!!