Computer boots up and after mild use screens turn different colors and go unresponsive

Go to solution Solved by Priller,

yes.. when the problem usually happens I'm usually just browsing the internet or watching youtube videos. I dont think it has ever happened during gameplay. i also sometimes get nvidia driver stopped responding and has recovered from time to time but when i check my drivers they are up to date

Completely remove your GPU drivers. Make sure that all of your motherboard, Sata, and LAN drivers are up to date and off of the manufacturers website. Then do a clean install of GPU drivers.

So i recently build my computer about a month ago and I have run into a recurring problem. After powering on my computer and using it for a varied amount of time (browsing the internet, playing league of legends) both monitors turn different colors (red, pink, purple, blue) then become unresponsive. not bsod. my computer specs are as follows.

intel i7 4790k
gtx 770
corsair hx750
corsair vengence ram 16gb ddr3 1600
samsung 128 evo ssd
wd 2tb green drive
asus maximus impact VII
noctua NH-D14

HWMonitor says my cpu is running 32-33 degrees and my gpu 29 degrees celcius. Any help would be greatly appreciated. this has been a problem since the computer was build but has been occuring more and more often

The colors point to the GPU. Check the temps, if they are find try testing the GPU and see if it makes it through 2 passes of Valley.

I'd say either RAM or GPU issue.

both are reused from a previous build of mine. Do you have any ideas how i could trouble shoot this?

I'd say either RAM or GPU issue.

Could you explain to me how this would be a RAM issue? sorry I don't know that much :x

The colors point to the GPU. Check the temps, if they are find try testing the GPU and see if it makes it through 2 passes of Valley.

I'll try that right now and get back to you

I'll try that right now and get back to you

Watch temps as you go as well.

Make sure you are testing at stock clocks for both the core and memory.

Watch temps as you go as well.

Make sure you are testing at stock clocks for both the core and memory.

So the gpu temp was at about 74-75 and cpu max out at around 50

So the gpu temp was at about 74-75 and cpu max out at around 50

Did it go through 2 full passes on the resolution your monitor supports?

Did it go through 2 full passes on the resolution your monitor supports?

yes.. when the problem usually happens I'm usually just browsing the internet or watching youtube videos. I dont think it has ever happened during gameplay. i also sometimes get nvidia driver stopped responding and has recovered from time to time but when i check my drivers they are up to date

Completely remove your GPU drivers. Make sure that all of your motherboard, Sata, and LAN drivers are up to date and off of the manufacturers website. Then do a clean install of GPU drivers.

okay i successfully updated everything. hopefully everything will work well from here on out. is there anything else i should check for?

okay i successfully updated everything. hopefully everything will work well from here on out. is there anything else i should check for?

If it continues then RMA the GPU.

Funny colors with horizontal and/or vertical lines/colors it's usually the GPU. Ram and CPU overclocking usually just cause instability and crashing sometimes with BSOD with 07 etc.

If it continues then RMA the GPU.

Funny colors with horizontal and/or vertical lines/colors it's usually the GPU. Ram and CPU overclocking usually just cause instability and crashing sometimes with BSOD with 07 etc

okay sounds good. i wasnt getting any horizontal or vertical lines my screens just turned solid colors. I haven't overclocked anything yet because of this problem so I should be good on the bsod department

okay sounds good. i wasnt getting any horizontal or vertical lines my screens just turned solid colors. I haven't overclocked anything yet because of this problem so I should be good on the bsod department

Sometimes you may get the lines. I've had two different shades of black before that looked like flannel before.

Sometimes you may get the lines. I've had two different shades of black before that looked like flannel before.

ahhh i see. Thank you for all the help it is really appreciated ^^. ill mark this as solved and if it happens again ill make a different post

ahhh i see. Thank you for all the help it is really appreciated ^^. ill mark this as solved and if it happens again ill make a different post

No worries. 

Could you explain to me how this would be a RAM issue? sorry I don't know that much :x

I've had the same issue before and swapping out my RAM solved it, so just a possible suspect. I've had bad GPUs that do the same thing but the computer didn't lock up. The screen just went funny and different colors, but the computer still functioned normally outside of outputting graphics properly

"Rawr XD"