Acer B6 B326HK or ASUS PB Series PB278Q ?

nignog

So I suppose I'll get straight to the point. I am a music producer and have a home studio. I have 2x 900p monitors and a 1080p in the center. I need to get rid of the side monitors so I can put my speakers in their place, however a single 1080p panel will never, ever be enough real estate for my work. I'm looking to get a nice center piece monitor and probably find a way to mount another monitor (probably my current 1080p) above my new centerpiece. Now the question is, which monitor? 80% of the time I do music production work and video/photo editing. The other 20% of the time I play video games. I'm not so sure which would suit my needs better. I'd love the real estate the 4k monitor gives me, but I've read both good and worryingly bad reviews about it. Plus, is 4k even reliable technology at this point? The PB278Q, I've heard great things about and it's withstood the test of time, but I'm not so sure if the 1440p real estate will be enough for me. I'd love as much advice/input as you guys could give me on this decision. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, I suppose I should add the fact that I'm on a Reference GTX 980 as well.

As someone who's never used a 1440p panel, would you guys say it's a noticeable upgrade from 1080p? I'm just super worried about the real estate.. haha.. I always run out of room working.

As someone who's never used a 1440p panel, would you guys say it's a noticeable upgrade from 1080p? I'm just super worried about the real estate.. haha.. I always run out of room working.

Basically just imagine your 1080p monitor stretched another 33% up and right. 1080p is 3/4 of 1440p vertically and horizontally. It's a fair sized increase, but the gap between that and 4K is much more larger.

What about if you went for a 34" 21:9 3440x1440 monitor instead? It'd give you the size and resolution of a 27" 16:9 display but with extra screen real estate on either side. It could very well be the perfect setup for you if you're wanted one centre monitor with your other one above you. Just a thought. :)

@nignog

EDIT: Just to note, most cheap 4K displays that are 27/28" in size us a TN panel. You'll wanna find a IPS equipped 4K monitor if you intend on going 4K, since you'll be doing video/photo editing, because you'll want great colour accuracy.

Edited by Geekazoid

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll end up getting the 4K Acer display because I feel like the real estate is too much to give up for my profession. However, I'll have to sleep on this decision so I don't make the wrong one. Now the question is.. how do I mount the monitor on top? Do you guys know of any good solutions? Should I wall mount or is there a better Vertical Stack monitor stand a company makes?

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll end up getting the 4K Acer display because I feel like the real estate is too much to give up for my profession. However, I'll have to sleep on this decision so I don't make the wrong one. Now the question is.. how do I mount the monitor on top? Do you guys know of any good solutions? Should I wall mount or is there a better Vertical Stack monitor stand a company makes?

Well, that is an IPS 4K display, so it should be quite suitable for your kind of work. Good luck with it mate! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator