Next Generation AMD Graphics (Volcanic Islands/HD9000) Finally Coming. (Official)

AMD has just shared some very exciting info with WCCFTECH.com so lets dive straight in. AMD Confirms the new price point for the highly successful HD 7970 video card to be $329 & £299 for our friends across the pond in the UK starting next month (July) (although price cuts have already taken effect on Sapphire cards on various websites). AMD has also informed wccftech.com that the "Never Settle" campaign will see a refresh with some brand new triple A titles, coming 2013 Q3 (July-Semptember). AMD also talked about the expanding growth for high resolutions gaming & the demand for higher memory capacities on graphics cards. AMD-1440P-Resolution.jpg But perhaps the most exciting news of all is that AMD has officially stated that it will reveal next generation Radeon graphics (Volcanic Islands/HD 9000 series) at the end of Q3, that's this September folks !

FIANLLY, but still in Q3, which is still months away :( 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Lol, I'm so glad I haven't upgraded my 670 to a 780 now. :) My friend has one and I've used it in my rig and it nice, been itching to upgrade because of it. I hope that they will also fix CF Frame Rating issues with the driver release for the new series. 

Pretty keen to see how the new cards line up. Not sure they'll have something to compete with the 780 considering it's massive die though.

That graph is a bit misleading, obviously larger resolutions will only become more common and we are yet to see how next gen games are going to use VRAM, but most recent Steam survey show that only ~1% of people are running above 1920x1200.

Lol, I'm so glad I haven't upgraded my 670 to a 780 now. :) My friend has one and I've used it in my rig and it nice, been itching to upgrade because of it. I hope that they will also fix CF Frame Rating issues with the driver release for the new series.

Says in the article that the CF fix is coming out at the end of next month.

Yeah, if the new driver is good then I might well buy a second 7950 for 250 euros for crossfire.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

That graph is a bit misleading, obviously larger resolutions will only become more common and we are yet to see how next gen games are going to use VRAM, but most recent Steam survey show that only ~1% of people are running above 1920x1200.

The graph represents growth not total users.

I hope one of the partners make a card with a closed shroud, no heatpipes poking out behind a flimsy sheet of material and no PCB visibility from the sides or front. Those have been my major gripes about AMD in the past, ugly and flimsy looking cards.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I hope one of the partners make a card with a closed shroud, no heatpipes poking out behind a flimsy sheet of material and no PCB visibility from the sides or front. Those have been my major gripes about AMD in the past, ugly and flimsy looking cards.

I actually love to see the heatpipes, they make the card look awesome.

LOOOL, who cares how they look, as long as they're fast !

The graph represents growth not total users.

Yeah, I realize that. Even still, 2.5% running 25x14 in 2years. The data (& therefore graph) is used to make high res displays appear more important than they really are over the next couple of years.

It's encouraging to see that DisplaySearch anticipate a rise in 1366x768 and 1600x900 (~300% more than today!) displays... LOL

But all the non-reference cards have the same cooler. The Windforce 670 is identical to the windforce 7950. The MSI Lightning 7970 looks the same as the Lightning 680. The Asus DCII cooler is the same regardless of whether it is nVidia or AMD.

The reference AMD cooler is fully shrouded with a blower design and no visible heatpipes.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yeah, I realize that. Even still, 2.5% running 25x14 in 2years. The data (& therefore graph) is used to make high res displays appear more important than they really are over the next couple of years.

It's encouraging to see that DisplaySearch anticipate a rise in 1366x768 and 1600x900 (~300% more than today!) displays... LOL

Not entirely sure where I've seen this, but I remember reading that about 20% of gamers actually use 2560x1440.

The steam hardware survey can be very buggy, numerous times the survey had weird issues not listing specific resolutions , graphics cards or processors.

xD I actually started dancing when I read this...

And I've got a broken leg.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Not entirely sure where I've seen this, but I remember reading that about 20% of gamers actually use 2560x1440.

The steam hardware survey can be very buggy, numerous times the survey had weird issues not listing specific resolutions , graphics cards or processors.

Maybe so, but 20% seems waaay too high. Especially considering the money it cost (at least up until recently, before these cheap Korean panels) of a 25x14 monitor. And that most 'gamers' probably don't even know what resolution they run or even care for one higher than what they have. People that use 25x14 were looking for it. Most people just buy whatever cheap monitor, generally 1080p. Plus everyone that's gaming on notebooks and older displays, that are no doubt <1080p.

Maybe so but 20% seems waaay too high. Especially considering the money it cost (at least up until recently, before these cheap Korean panels) of a 25x14 monitor. And that most 'gamers' probably don't even know what resolution they run or care for a larger one.

I second this, two of my friends with better computers than I (still running on a laptop for now :/ even though I helped them with their builds) run 1366x768 and I know that but they don't.

q_q running my Macbook Pro on a 1600x1200 monitor

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I'm hoping AMD destroys Titan, Just to see what nVIDIA do xD.

Maybe then they can re-do their "the fixer" video xD

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I'm hoping AMD destroys Titan, Just to see what nVIDIA do xD.

Maybe then they can re-do their "the fixer" video xD

I doubt AMD has the 28nm tech to destroy the GK110 chip.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

They also don't NEED to destroy Titan, because Titan costs 1000 dollars and a x790 card costs 500. If AMD wanted to compete with Titan they could take some FirePro cards that didn't quite make the bin, put a different sticker on them and call them the HD Pantheon (given that that is basically what nVidia did).

Nvidia doesn't have the tech either, both AMD & Nvidia use TSMC to manufacture chips, so they have identical technology available to both of them.

TSMC has recently announced that it already installed 20nm manufacturing equipment 2 months earlier than scheduled, my guess that was because AMD pressured them to do so to roll out their 20nm Volcanic Islands architecture early on & I think it will pay off.

Updated Never Settle :D

Hope there's going to be Watch Dogs..

And I hope these new graphics cards are not going to be much more expensive than the actual ones

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

yes

September

just in time for BF4

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Updated Never Settle :D

Hope there's going to be Watch Dogs..

And I hope these new graphics cards are not going to be much more expensive than the actual ones

Watch Dogs is a Nvidia title.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I'm excited.  With frame time issues being solved, I have no more reservations about buying into AMD graphics.

If the 9970 is priced right (~500-550), matches or exceeds the 780, and continues Never Settle, I'm sold.  Two of those will end up in my rig so fast.

(Well maybe just one until I upgrade to 2560.)

And 7970 at $329?  That's insane.  Overclocks to within spitting distance of a 780 for half the price, plus Never Settle.  Insane.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I'm excited.  With frame time issues being solved, I have no more reservations about buying into AMD graphics.

If the 9970 is priced right (~500-550), matches or exceeds the 780, and continues Never Settle, I'm sold.  Two of those will end up in my rig so fast.

(Well maybe just one until I upgrade to 2560.)

And 7970 at $329?  That's insane.  Overclocks to within spitting distance of a 780 for half the price, plus Never Settle.  Insane.

Im hoping this is the kick in the teeth that Nvida needs to finally drop there absurd pricing on some of their cards *cough Titan and 690 cough* since you could get dual 7970's for 660 dollars and they will perform better then a 690.