Windows 8.1 - Shutdown and disable hot corners

GoodBytes

Hello,

More leaked info on Windows 8.1.

In Windows 8.1, you can easily access the shutdown and restart action in the power user menu (the menu when you right-click on the Start Button / Hot corner of the start screen).

In addition, it will have the option to disable hot corners.

startbuttonwin81.jpg

Please note that this information is from an alpha version of Windows, and things may change from now and the public beta coming out at Microsoft BUILD event, and from the public beta to the final release later this years.

Also, note that the above is from the Server edition of Windows 8.1, so it might be different.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/24/4461600/windows-8-1-start-button-shut-down-options-hot-corner-controls

AWESOME ANOTHER OS FROM MICROSOFT I STILL WON'T USE!

AWESOME ANOTHER POST THAT ADDS NOTHING TO THE CONVERSATION!

This is nice to see. I hope they work on some of the features with the metro desktop to make more apps compatible. I still want a internet browser that plays audio when I go to a different application.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

AWESOME ANOTHER POST THAT ADDS NOTHING TO THE CONVERSATION!

This is nice to see. I hope they work on some of the features with the metro desktop to make more apps compatible. I still want a internet browser that plays audio when I go to a different application.

So if i don't have anything good to say i can't say anything? I could have just said ok i don't care.

lol .... pointless

ill wait for 8.2

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Will windows 8.1 have an effect on start 8 menu?

I'm thinking these third party programs should be able to do registry edits to disable the one they implement if it doesn't do what you want.

For me it would because I only use the start bar to shut down or access my documents, computer, and network which this new bar seems to add. All my other programs are on my desktop or pinned to my taskbar.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

You can pin any folder you want to the Start Screen.

dss.png

if they end up doing this i might consider switching because this looks o much cleaner and more organized then before and i wouldn't get much use of the old metro ui withe apps hopefully is true.

Then you better consider now, because this is me on Windows 8... I don't have Win8.1. :D

That is the big difference between looking at screen shot, and reading rushed "reviews" on site (all rushing for releasing their review first... so in other words.. they didn't spend 10min with the OS), and, compared to, actually using and learning how to use Windows 8 new powerful Start Screen, like I did.

The picture above is an old one. Right now I have more folders pinned.. like to my currently working project and I have more games installed, giving me direct access to them, and not have to go through Steam, or Origin, or Uplay, or whatever. All things you just could not do in Windows 7 start menu (assuming no hacks, or Start Menu replacement).

Or all things you could have done directly on the desktop for over 10 years...nothing innovative about creating shortcuts.

So if i don't have anything good to say i can't say anything? I could have just said ok i don't care.

If you have nothing to contribute other than "LOL, WINDOWS 8 IS GAY" then yes, don't post.

OT: Thank you GoodBytes for this post. My father recently had to mess around with Windows 8 for my Uncle and he couldn't find the Restart/Power Off option. I had to teach him charms...and he was the one who taught me how to use Windows XP and Ubuntu.

AWESOME ANOTHER OS FROM MICROSOFT I STILL WON'T USE!

you should try ... i mean it's gonna take over some time 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

OT: Thank you GoodBytes for this post. My father recently had to mess around with Windows 8 for my Uncle and he couldn't find the Restart/Power Off option. I had to teach him charms...and he was the one who taught me how to use Windows XP and Ubuntu.

Yea the video tour on Microsoft website is worth a look, for easing the transition. But yes, it's nice to see some improvement. Personally, I would prefer, in WIn8.1, that they put the shutdown/restart options on the user name menu.. as you already have Log-off there.