Good Portable Laptop.

rdeng2614

I am looking for a laptop to use in school.

I would like it to be portable and light, preferably a touch screen around 13 inches with a resolution of 1080p or higher.

I want it to have good battery life, at least 5-6 hours.

Finally, I would like to game on it. I do some casual gaming (Stuff like TF2, League of Legends, CS:GO etc.) but nothing really intensive.

Price point: Not exactly sure as of right now, maybe 1500$ max?

Thanks.

I would like it to be portable and light, preferably a touch screen around 13 inches with a resolution of 1080p or higher.

Finally, I would like to game on it. I do some casual gaming (Stuff like TF2, League of Legends, CS:GO etc.) but nothing really intensive.

Thanks.

Where are you located? USA?

If so, then definitely take a look into this. The latest Intel CPU ultrabook. Will definitely be adequate for stuff like TF2, League and CS:GO. If you need a touchscreen there is the touchscreen version with a Gorilla Glass 3 panel. Goes for $1300. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-XPS-13-9343-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.312471000

However if you're willing to carry around a bigger and heavier laptop, this will destroy the XPS 13 in performance yet is even cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314701&cm_re=aspire_v15_nitro-_-34-314-701-_-Product

"Rawr XD"

Well if you are gaming you are definitely not going to get 5-6 hours out of any laptop. What you are looking for is a bit hard to come by. Linus would probably say that razer blade 2014. In general look at thin and light gaming laptops, because you will need a discrete gpu for your purposes.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

Well if you are gaming you are definitely not going to get 5-6 hours out of any laptop. What you are looking for is a bit hard to come by. Linus would probably say that razer blade 2014. In general look at thin and light gaming laptops, because you will need a discrete gpu for your purposes.

You don't need a dedicated GPU for TF2, League, or CS:GO. Yes, one would help, but it's definitely not mandatory. I play those games on my laptop with Intel HD 4400 and they run perfectly fine.

"Rawr XD"

Where are you located? USA?

If so, then definitely take a look into this. The latest Intel CPU ultrabook. Will definitely be adequate for stuff like TF2, League and CS:GO. If you need a touchscreen there is the touchscreen version with a Gorilla Glass 3 panel. Goes for $1300. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-XPS-13-9343-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.312471000

Are you sure this is enough to run tf2 or cs:go???

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

What will you be using it for, besides gaming, in school? Is Windows a must-have, or could you use something such as OS X?

Spoiler

Thanks.

I'd consider the MBP retina 13 inch with a bigger SSD and 8GB of RAM or that new Dell XPS 13

the MBPr won't run intensive games especially at native resolution, but I doubt that league of legends would really be an issue, and whenever they refresh the MBPr, it would probably get whatever new Broadwell chips are available including whatever the top tier integrated graphics is available.

not a fanboy. don't even own a mac, just observing that they're pretty darn good compared to other laptops in their price bracket.

I'd consider the MBP retina 13 inch with a bigger SSD and 8GB of RAM or that new Dell XPS 13

the MBPr won't run intensive games especially at native resolution, but I doubt that league of legends would really be an issue, and whenever they refresh the MBPr, it would probably get whatever new Broadwell chips are available including whatever the top tier integrated graphics is available.

not a fanboy. don't even own a mac, just observing that they're pretty darn good compared to other laptops in their price bracket.

The XPS 13 gets you 8GB and a 256GB SSD for $1300, along with a Broadwell chip. idk how much that would cost for a same RAM/SSD Haswell MBPr in the US, but here in Canada it's $1600. Definitely not worth the extra $300 for a previous-gen chip. 

But like, if you're looking for gaming performance, the $900 Aspire V15 Nitro will whoop the XPS 13 or MBPr. Even the top-of-the-line 15" model with a 4K display, full-spec i7 (not ULV), GTX 860M, 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD is still $100 less then 8GB/256GB MBPr.

"Rawr XD"

I want something that can game (maybe has a discreet GPU), but if I just surfed the web/took notes, it would still have a 5-6 hour battery. Because some gaming laptops, even when doing casual web browsing or email, do not have that long of a battery life.

I want something that can game (maybe has a discreet GPU), but if I just surfed the web/took notes, it would still have a 5-6 hour battery. Because some gaming laptops, even when doing casual web browsing or email, do not have that long of a battery life.

Aspire V15 Nitro gets 4.5hr of WiFi surfing, will get even better when just taking notes.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V15-Nitro-VN7-591G-77A9-Notebook-Review.128435.0.html

If battery life is a big concern then consider the Lenovo Y40. Really good 8.5hr of WiFi surfing 

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Y40-59423035-Notebook-Review.124638.0.html

"Rawr XD"

The XPS 13 gets you 8GB and a 256GB SSD for $1300, along with a Broadwell chip. idk how much that would cost for a same RAM/SSD Haswell MBPr in the US, but here in Canada it's $1600. Definitely not worth the extra $300 for a previous-gen chip. 

But like, if you're looking for gaming performance, the $900 Aspire V15 Nitro will whoop the XPS 13 or MBPr. Even the top-of-the-line 15" model with a 4K display, full-spec i7 (not ULV), GTX 860M, 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD is still $100 less then 8GB/256GB MBPr.

you also get an OS that is inherently better for writing code because it is based in linux. for me that is a +, but considering I had a much more limited budget when I was buying a laptop ($700) I had to make the compromise and dual boot ubuntu.