Dell U3415W or Samsung S34E790C

is2910

Hi guys,

Im torn between these 2 monitors.

Which should i buy?

Is the curvature on both monitors the same?

VA vs IPS?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks.

I'd go with the Dell. Nicer stand, and I'd rather go with IPS over VA. Though you do have to pay more for the privilege.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'd go with the Dell. Nicer stand, and I'd rather go with IPS over VA. Though you do have to pay more for the privilege.

I get the stand argument.

But why is IPS better than VA? Can you explain?

As far as i know IPS and TN have 1000:1 contrast, can have issues with backlight bleed.

VA has a 3000:1 contrast, blacks look more BLACK and there are no backlight bleed issues ever. And VA has the same viewing angles as IPS, no?

Apart from the stand and the brand, i dont see why one would want to choose the Dell over the Samsung. I would choose the VA Samsung with better contrast, blacks and a little bit better response time (which matters not, but still).

As far as i know IPS and TN have 1000:1 contrast, can have issues with backlight bleed.

VA has a 3000:1 contrast, blacks look more BLACK and there are no backlight bleed issues ever. And VA has the same viewing angles as IPS, no?

Apart from the stand and the brand, i dont see why one would want to choose the Dell over the Samsung. I would choose the VA Samsung with better contrast, blacks and a little bit better response time (which matters not, but still).

VA display technology is the halfway point of such technologies in that it aims to provide better viewing angles than TN and have next-to-no backlight bleeding that you get with IPS displays. Its colour accuracy is considerably better than TN, but not quite as good as IPS, and yes, as you mentioned, the blacks are much deeper due to the much higher contrast ratio that's able to be archived by this technology of around 3,000-5,000:1. This helps with making colours stand out and look much richer and this makes it ideal for watching movies on because you're going to see much more detail due to the higher contrast.

If that all sounds good to you, then go with the Samsung for sure. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Btw, here are some user reviews from the E790C:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1514141/pc-monitors-samsung-s34e790c-curved-34-21-9-ultrawide-va-monitor/220

I've been actually keeping my eye on this monitor for a while now and tbh, it's disappointing to hear that users are having ghosting issues with it..

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

Gosh... Im still undecided. Both va ans ips got their own pros and cons. Im gonna use it more towards gaming.

Ghosting??? I rather tolerate bleeding than ghosting. Thanks for the link grizzlybear!

Ghosting??? I rather tolerate bleeding than ghosting. Thanks for the link grizzlybear!

Honestly, I'm not sure anymore. My u3477PQU IPS has so much bleeding I've decided to return it.. :/

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

Also Dell has the best warranty.

For any fault, you get to keep the monitor while Dell ships you your replacement one, where in the box of the replacement one, you have a pre-paid shipping label, Just swap the monitors, and stick the shipping label over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. So, Dell pays shipping both directions, and you always have a monitor you can use (great if you are replacing it due to a fault but you can still technically use the screen).

In addition, Dell on its Ultrasharp series and select P series. No mater the resolution, 1080p, or 4K, or ultrawide, you see 6 dead pixel anywhere -> replacement.

No distance, no zone crap policy. You count 6 or more, you can can get a replacement.

And, if you have 1 or more bright or stuck pixel, anywhere, even on the edge corner of the screen, you also eligible for a replacement monitor.

AOC has on one of the worst. Samsung.. at least in Canada, as I experience them, expect you pay shipping, has conditions of approval based on policies on where and the distance between dead pixels, and expect 1 month before getting your replacement one (which in my case, had finger prints on the screen, dust, and while the screen was technically ok, the enclosure was scratched up. Didn't get a good experience.

Oh man, after speculating much ive decided on getting neither. Looking at either acer xbh280hk or asus pg278q. Haizzz

Gosh... Im still undecided. Both va ans ips got their own pros and cons. Im gonna use it more towards gaming.

If its for gaming, i think f/a/gsync is a must have and a priority 1.

For me personally 2nd priority is 21:9 NON-TN as a must have for gaming.

And 100+hz come in 3rd place for me.

So, the upcoming 75hz 1080p, 21:9 IPS freesync   34um67 seems perfect to me.

But others might want to get one of the new 1440p 120hz f/a/gsync IPSs coming.

VA panels have worse ghosting, and their response times generally aren't as good in actual use.

IPS has better colors.

"No backlight bleed issues ever" is not true, as it can happen with any monitor.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

In that case between these 2 monitors which would you guys choose?

1) Dell U3415W

2) Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

1) Dell U3415W

2) Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

I'd personally go dell but if you play a lot of fast fps' and want the fastes panel out there, go asus.

dell gives you more eyecandy imo.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1) Dell U3415W

2) Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

I dunno. Maybe wait a little? We should have a 21:9 1440p freesync one this year... id be surprised if we dont, but im just guessing here. Whats another few months anyway?

I dunno. Maybe wait a little? We should have a 21:9 1440p freesync one this year... id be surprised if we dont, but im just guessing here. Whats another few months anyway?

you are right...i should wait..but the dell u3415w curved monitor is reaching out to me...but no gsync haizzz

You lose the 144Hz as well.

If it turns out to be 75hz just like the upcming 34um67 and 29um67, then its good. I agree that 60hz is terrible. But 75hz should be noticeably better and pretty good i think.

I wouldnt want to get used to 144hz when playing CSGO and then hover around 70hz with newer games. I think that would be a bad experience. For reasons like that i think i would have a 100hz cap on any 144hz monitor anyway.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Go for Dell U3415W.

Meh, the IPS glow of the Dell U3415W is horrible from what most customers have reported.  In some cases, so bad that it warranted a return.  I might just have to take my chances with the Samsung S34E790C.  It has superior contrast, no IPS glow (since it is a VA panel), and faster response times.  Yes, response times of a VA panel are FASTER and not slower than an IPS panel.  And I have reviewed several YouTube videos that prove there is no observable ghosting on the Samsung S34E790C.  In fact, the average response times of this particular VA panel is 4ms versus the 6-8ms of the Dell U3415W.  The prices are about the same for both monitors when you can find them on sale for around $800.  I really want to wait for the Acer X34 (3440 x 1440) G-Sync 100Hz panel that is due out in October.  But, I also really want a 21:9 panel to game with at an upcoming LAN party at the end of August.

Intel 3930K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus RIVE | EVGA GTX980Ti SC+ SLI | 32GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix

3 x 480GB Corsair GTX SSDs RAID 0 | SoundblasterZ | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO | Astro A50

Corsair AX1500i Titanum | Custom liquid cooling | Acer Predator XB270HU | Acer XB280HK