Back in My Day: Tech Edition

JAW96

When on an HDD theres a sticker how to set the IDe jumper but dont know if the sticker is up left right down... Always let it it cable select,,

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Back in my day, if you wanted to play a video game, it would just work. Today, I feel that video games and other tech works harder not working that it would if it would just work :/

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

HEH (17 year old putting on an old man voice)

Back in mah day, we didn't have none of these garn-fangled new SayTay (SATA) ports, we had PaTay and Ahh-Dee-Eee.

We had MASTER drives an' SLAVE drives, ya had ta make sure that yer Ahh-Dee-Eee cable were plugged in ta the right drive with the right connector. We didn' have none of this equality nonsense that all you young whippersnappers(!?!??!) have today,

Okay, I'm dropping the whole old man thing because it's just annoying for me to do quickly.

The highest-end motherboards from way-back-when had electrolytic capacitors on them because solid caps hadn't been invented yet, or just hadn't been implemented correctly yet, and I know this because I have SEEN THEM.

The Pentium III did not have a socket, it had a SLOT ON THE MOTHERBOARD. I REMEMBER THIS.

CPUs did not have thermal throttling; if you took the heatsink off even at idle, it would instantly burn and die, and you actually had a risk of fire.

advanced power stages did not exist, and power delivery to your CPU SUCKED. Overclocking would probably be lethal to everything on your board.

Finally, MSI's flagship motherboard from 10 years ago looked like this:

post-77647-0-81826700-1421708008.jpg

And Asus's flagship motherboard today looks like this:
post-77647-0-70095200-1421707994_thumb.j

And this is coming from someone who is technically still in his day.

HEH (17 year old putting on an old man voice)

Back in mah day, we didn't have none of these garn-fangled new SayTay (SATA) ports, we had PaTay and Ahh-Dee-Eee.

We had MASTER drives an' SLAVE drives, ya had ta make sure that yer Ahh-Dee-Eee cable were plugged in ta the right drive with the right connector. We didn' have none of this equality nonsense that all you young whippersnappers(!?!??!) have today,

Okay, I'm dropping the whole old man thing because it's just annoying for me to do quickly.

The highest-end motherboards from way-back-when had electrolytic capacitors on them because solid caps hadn't been invented yet, or just hadn't been implemented correctly yet, and I know this because I have SEEN THEM.

The Pentium III did not have a socket, it had a SLOT ON THE MOTHERBOARD. I REMEMBER THIS.

CPUs did not have thermal throttling; if you took the heatsink off even at idle, it would instantly burn and die, and you actually had a risk of fire.

advanced power stages did not exist, and power delivery to your CPU SUCKED. Overclocking would probably be lethal to everything on your board.

Finally, MSI's flagship motherboard from 10 years ago looked like this:

attachicon.gifMSI_Kt4_ultra_Motherboard.jpg

And Asus's flagship motherboard today looks like this:

attachicon.gifx99-deluxe-1-1280x1024.jpg

And this is coming from someone who is technically still in his day.

I laughed my ass off when I saw "we had masters and slaves" I was already reading it in a southern accent

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Back in my day graphics cards had as much VRAM as L3 cache on today's CPUs...

EDIT - oh, those fucking IDE cables were so fragile...

Back in my day graphics cards had as much VRAM as L3 cache on today's CPUs...

EDIT - oh, those fucking IDE cables were so fragile...

was bored one day and wanted to see have far I could get my old GT 9600 push my modded Skyrim... It got 3fps, but those where the most fucking solid 3fps you have ever seen in your life!

Back in my day "Please insert Disk 4" would pop up on the screen when entering a new part of the game. 

And then you LOST it! And the world ended. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

was bored one day and wanted to see have far I could get my old GT 9600 push my modded Skyrim... It got 3fps, but those where the most fucking solid 3fps you have ever seen in your life!

I used a 9600GT until my GTX 760 last year :D

Was a beast of a card, I remember playing Tomb Raider (2013) on medium setting with 30FPS solid at 720p.

Man, I remember the days where you needed a fucking host adapter card! and HDDs were fucking huge!!

And IDE cables man!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

fking sata drivers man.

^This. I remember the pain of installing windows xp and having soooo many troubles, oh god.

IDE drives. If you've never had to set a jumper on a HDD or ODD count yourself lucky, they're not actually that far in the past.

ahah In my first pc, when I installed the cd burner I had a lot of problems due to those jumpers, it even damaged the 4gb hard drive in some way :D

56kb dial-up connection

cassetes

U had to buy games on CD only (or pirate it and it would spread from person to person, not online)

there was no youtube

phones were too big for pockets

No social networks

No online shopping

U spent your childhood properly :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

56kb dial-up connection

cassetes

U had to buy games on CD only (or pirate it and it would spread from person to person, not online)

there was no youtube

phones were too big for pockets

No social networks

No online shopping

U spent your childhood properly :)

and the generation before you would say THEY spent there childhood properly, and that your generation was spoiled! 

and the generation before you would say THEY spent there childhood properly, and that your generation was spoiled!

Every generation has problems with next one. Its never ending circle :D

I was just pointing to how much time i spend outside with friends having fun compared to how much time kids spend at PCs, smartphones and tablets these days.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

back in my dads day they had 8 mb hard drives

:P

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

Every generation has problems with next one. Its never ending circle :D

I was just pointing to how much time i spend outside with friends having fun compared to how much time kids spend at PCs, smartphones and tablets these days.

okay, was kinda hearing as "we knew how it was done!", and I do agree with you. I tend to make it so I go out all day at least once a week. 

IDE drives. If you've never had to set a jumper on a HDD or ODD count yourself lucky, they're not actually that far in the past.

heh

was doing that on the weekend.

Ok so ...

Monochrome monitors.

Dot matrix printing.

5.25 floppy drives.

Command line to do anything.

Little later on.

Using a 3.5" floppy to install/run programs. 30 disks later...

Using a 3.5" floppy to boot the computer so you can install an operating system via ODD

Dial-up Internet.

1st PC was in 1997 and my Dad said it costs around $2+++ (I don't know if it is the true price). I cannot even remember the specs but we are satisfied since no one in the neighborhood has a PC and we have no one to compare. Storage Devices are Floppy and Diskettes. I think Hard Disk Space Size was less than 5MB. 

Played Apache Longbow with a Blackhawk Joystick. and Prince of Persia

Dial-up Internet, And Yeah! No Forums except Mirc!

post-161551-0-50951300-1421726550.jpg

post-161551-0-33955700-1421726552.gif

post-161551-0-67888500-1421726562.jpg

1st PC was in 1997 and my Dad said it costs around $2+++ (I don't know if it is the true price). I cannot even remember the specs but we are satisfied since no one in the neighborhood has a PC and we have no one to compare. Storage Devices are Floppy and Diskettes. I think Hard Disk Space Size was less than 5MB. 

Played Apache Longbow with a Blackhawk Joystick. and Prince of Persia

Dial-up Internet, And Yeah! No Forums except Mirc!

I remember playing Prince of Persia, and dying horrible, because I could never find out how to ever us the sword!

My first game was RollerCoaster Tycoon 1. I played the shit out of that game. Also my best computer was a Compaq that had a Pentium III and Windows 95.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Back in my day..

- a 80gb HD took forever to load up.

- You didn't have see through task bars.

- Your BIOS wasn't fancy looking (seriously i started my PC first time when i built tiddles after not having a tower for years and got a shock when ASUS made it look really nice!!!!)

- The idea of burning a DVD was wow

- The idea of having a disk that held GB's was insane

- Our flash drives were floppy

- "intel inside"

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask!