Back in My Day: Tech Edition

JAW96

This a simple topic meant to look at things that we take for granted today like UEFI, and ease of installing drivers! So tell away with your stories fellow linustechtipions!

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Sadly i haven't been around tech for long enough to comment. Maybe cassettes? if that counts at all. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Built my first pc 6 months ago. Never faced any problems. xD

i5 4670k / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 / Asus Maximus vi hero lga 1150 mobo / Sapphire tri-x r9 290 OC edition / corsair vengeance pro red 4 x 4 gb 2133mhz cas 9 ram kit / nzxt phantom 530 black / 120gb samsung 840 evo ssd / 240 gb ocz arc 100 ssd / 2x 1tb WD Blue / Cooler Master v850 modular psu / corsair k70 rgb cherry mx Brown / mad catz rat 5 laser mouse / windows 10

fking sata drivers man.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Guess I'm too young? 
I haven't been in tech for long enough to be grateful of anything...

fking sata drivers man.

What! I loved those 2 inch wide ribbon! They made for such great cable management. 

Well i remember my first PC (when i was 3) and that thing had Windows ME and blue-screened like hell. I learnt how to use the Start menu when i was 4 and completed Need for Speed 2 SE at least twice by age 5. Sadly, it died and we got our previous desktop (Dell Dimension 3000) which we had for 10 years and upgraded the HDD to 250GB and RAM to 2GB. It started bluescreening at the end of July and so I decided to build my own rig (completed on September 5th 2014)

IDE drives. If you've never had to set a jumper on a HDD or ODD count yourself lucky, they're not actually that far in the past.

My maths teacher always rants about the IDE and Printer cables in maths class cos he used those when he got into building PCs and servers (mid 1990s)

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Back in my day HDD's had rows of pins that could easily be bent or damaged, and you had to bend them back/fix them. SCSI/IDE drives, google them kids! :D
I'll post more, can't think of any right now.

Also, floppy copy times in total commander, who remembers those days? :D

Back in my day the GPU market wasn't a duopoly

Back in my day.

-You had to buy cards for any ports you wanted for your PC other than the keyboard port.

-30 MB was too much to fill with data.

-You couldn't just connect any card you wanted, you had to first check which IRQs and DMAs were available and change the bunch of jumpers all cards had to set them up in a system.

-CPUs did not had a heatsink.

-When you turned the PC off, it WAS off.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Back in my day HDD's had rows of pins that could easily be bent or damaged, and you had to bend them back/fix them. SCSI/IDE drives, google them kids! :D

I'll post more, can't think of any right now.

Also, floppy copy times in total commander, who remembers those days? :D

Can I have one of those floating around, and I have yet to bend one!

Can I have one of those floating around, and I have yet to bend one!

I bent them all the time, I was a kid and those took a bit of force to fit in the slot properly and I wouldn't place them right so I would end up bending a pin, but never completely broke one though. :)

Remember when you shut down the PC there would be a message saying that it's safe to turn it off completely? :D

Back in my day we had to install everything from a disk

I am weird and prefer to install via disc (slow internet doesn't help)

Back in my day we had single-core CPUs.

And they were slow as fuck.

They are still around today! I was working on a laptop that used a single core AMD!

They are still around today! I was working on a laptop that used a single core AMD!

I am sorry.

I had an iMac G5 (single core PowerPC CPU) until June of last year... yes, even with an SSD it was slow

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Back in my day.

-You had to buy cards for any ports you wanted for your PC other than the keyboard port.

-30 MB was too much to fill with data.

-You couldn't just connect any card you wanted, you had to first check which IRQs and DMAs were available and change the bunch of jumpers all cards had to set them up in a system.

-CPUs did not had a heatsink.

-When you turned the PC off, it WAS off.

I like last one :D

My super pc from signature has on/off button on front that cuts 220V :)

I am weird and prefer to install via disc (slow internet doesn't help)

there are still benefits

I had a 2400 baud modem.

I used a dialer called Telix. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telix

I called BBSs instead of an ISP.

I played Legend of the Red Dragon text-based game. (It's the first YouTube search result for "legend of the red dragon game"). Fantastic online multiplayer.

I played outside with my friends in the fresh air.

Back in my day downloading something above 5GB took a day.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors