IPS glow. What is normal?

GrizzlyBear

eQW8MOC.jpg

What do you think? Is it normal or should I return it/exchange the monitor? The AOC U34770PQU is an otherwise brilliant monitor but that glow/bleed is a bit annoying.

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

What do you think? Is it normal or should I return it/exchange the monitor?

This is a bad example of IPS glow for reference

wHeDp.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

it looks fine, you shouldn't have nothing to worry about.  

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

This is a bad example of IPS glow for reference

WHAT THE HELL :o

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

WHAT THE HELL :o

not my photo  thankfully, but some IPS panels suffer from super bad bleed and glow

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

not my photo  thankfully, but some IPS panels suffer from super bad bleed and glow

i know, but that is trash worthy

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i know, but that is trash worthy

yeah I would throw it out the window for sure

Do note that my photo was taken from a relatively lit room. From a completely dark room:

r1sG3cQ.jpg

This is my first IPS panel so I'm just wondering if this is normal. I absolutely love the rich colors of the panel but as soon as I game and there's a dark scene the glow starts to become noticeable.. :/

Okay. It does look a lot worse in the picture vs rl but it's still quite glaring..

Edited by GrizzlyBear

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

Please guys, set your camera to NOT auto adjust. Digital camera exagerate the problem SIGNIFICANTLY when set to auto, as it assumes you are taking a picture in a dimm environment and tries to get the most of the light to show what you a trying to take. Setting the camera to manual will not do this and if configured correctly, it will be exactly like what you see.

IPS glow should not be really visible, unless you look the monitor corner at an angle. Basically, the more you look at it at an angle, the worst it gets. It is only visible on black.

If it's always visible, even on content between displayed at the center, like a very wide screen movie, then that is called back light bleeding, as the back light bleeds through the panel, and always illuminate the same way.

IPS glow is normal for IPS monitor. It is a drawback of the technology. They are processes that exists to minimize the effect at the production stage, but they are costly, and usually reserved for (but not all) professional grade monitor.

Sadly, IPS panels aren't the why they used to be back in 2009. They are more affordable, and that means production cost cuts. Back light bleeding on med to low range consumer IPS panel is considered normal, and even expected. It's usually a small corner. It is also expected on tablets, laptops and phones running an IPS panel (although less visible on phones due to the small screen size), that is due to cost cutting measures, as fixing this, doesn't really boost sales, and also the space restriction of the panel limits good light shielding.

On high-end consumer grade IPS panels, it is not expected to be visible, unless you set your monitor brightness to near max.

@GrizzlyBear, based on the first picture, your monitor has backlight bleeding.

What do you think? Is it normal or should I return it/exchange the monitor? The AOC U34770PQU is an otherwise brilliant monitor but that glow/bleed is a bit annoying.

tbh pretty much all monitors will have some form of glow or another, if you really want zero glow then OLED

"Rawr XD"

Decided to return it since the store I bought it from has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

What do you think. Should I ask for a refund or exchange it for another unit? The lower left corner is just way too noticeable during gaming. Both top corners are acceptable though.

Please guys, set your camera to NOT auto adjust. Digital camera exagerate the problem SIGNIFICANTLY when set to auto, as it assumes you are taking a picture in a dimm environment and tries to get the most of the light to show what you a trying to take. Setting the camera to manual will not do this and if configured correctly, it will be exactly like what you see.

IPS glow should not be really visible, unless you look the monitor corner at an angle. Basically, the more you look at it at an angle, the worst it gets. It is only visible on black.

If it's always visible, even on content between displayed at the center, like a very wide screen movie, then that is called back light bleeding, as the back light bleeds through the panel, and always illuminate the same way.

IPS glow is normal for IPS monitor. It is a drawback of the technology. They are processes that exists to minimize the effect at the production stage, but they are costly, and usually reserved for (but not all) professional grade monitor.

Sadly, IPS panels aren't the why they used to be back in 2009. They are more affordable, and that means production cost cuts. Back light bleeding on med to low range consumer IPS panel is considered normal, and even expected. It's usually a small corner. It is also expected on tablets, laptops and phones running an IPS panel (although less visible on phones due to the small screen size), that is due to cost cutting measures, as fixing this, doesn't really boost sales, and also the space restriction of the panel limits good light shielding.

On high-end consumer grade IPS panels, it is not expected to be visible, unless you set your monitor brightness to near max.

@GrizzlyBear, based on the first picture, your monitor has backlight bleeding.

Yeah. Maybe it's better to just wait for those ultrawide VA monitors. I'd rather have a bit more washed out colors if it means no light bleed/glow obstructing dark scenery in games.

I didn't say that.

You can try returning it and buying the same one again. Maybe it is a manufacture error on yours.

I don't have that panel nor see many in depth monitor review to know.

I would recommend not to exchange it, but return it and order another one, so that the 30 day return period resets, in the case you actually want to return it and get your money back, or a try a different model.

I didn't say that.

You can try returning it and buying the same one again. Maybe it is a manufacture error on yours.

I don't have that panel nor see many in depth monitor review to know.

I would recommend not to exchange it, but return it and order another one, so that the 30 day return period resets, in the case you actually want to return it and get your money back, or a try a different model.

Yeah. Good point. I might try the curved Dell, but right now I'll proly just ask for a refund and wait for reviews from the 34" VA panels. (like Samsung S34E790C & HP Z34c)

Sounds like a plan.

Damn straight! B)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

• 3 weeks later...

So a small update.

Ordered the Dell U3415W and I'm happy to say that it has none of the issues that plagued the AOC ultrawide. Only very minor light bleed with barely any noticeable IPS glow. Not much different than my old TN panel to be honest. The little bleed there is, is only really noticeable in a completely dark room against a black background.

Overall I'm blown away by the quality of this monitor vs the AOC one. And I'm really digging the curve as well. :)

Thanks for the update!

Yes, Dell makes fantastic monitors for your money. Yes, they are not the cheapest, but you do get what you paid for. And the warranty service is fantastic. The simple fact that you don't need to pay shipping on either directions, and that you get to keep your monitor while a replacement arrives, is fantastic. To me, all companies should be doing this, if they are confident in their products. No need to treat your consumers are they are all trying to advantage of the system in some manner. Not to mention you now have a 3 year warranty, and excellent bright/stuck/dead pixel coverage for 3 years as well, unlike AOC (30-days for bright/stuck pixels... and to top things over: you have distance, and zones policy that the faulty pixels need to respect to top things off as reasons to not cover you).