Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
huilun02

Question About GTA V's DRM

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'll be getting GTA V soon after its launch if its good.

But I'm thinking about getting it standalone or on Steam.

Or are all players required to go through Steam? I doubt so.

Because if it is going to require me to go through the RGSC (Rockstar Games Social Club) launcher regardless, I see no reason to get it on Steam.

Anyone know about it? Thanks

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I really hope they don't make steam users use Social Club as well. It was awful with GTA IV

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

Lets hope only Steam. Though, this is Rock Star. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I'm going to guess that the online part will be handled with Social Club, and not Steamworks. Which I'm kinda glad about, as long as I don't have to install anything extra.

Hopefully if a RGSC login is required, they would at least do it at the game menu when choosing to play online.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I really hope they don't make steam users use Social Club as well. It was awful with GTA IV

Social Club was needed for all console launches so far, so i don't think the PC is gonna be left out. Otherwise, i won't be able to transfer my ps3 character.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Social Club was needed for all console launches so far, so i don't think the PC is gonna be left out. Otherwise, i won't be able to transfer my ps3 character.

Yeah, its stated on Rockstar Warehouse at the bottom.

Installation and online play requires log-in to Rockstar Games Social Club (13+) network; internet connection required for activation, online play, and periodic entitlement verification; software installations required including Rockstar Games Social Club platform,

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Rockstar Social Club wasnt the worst thing about GTA4 it was GFWL.

By the looks of it you'll have to sign in to play online and to install but thats it. Which is fair enough tbh,

Many sites dont state steam as the platform for key they are offering. So yes there will be rockstars launcher...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

example: If you buy FC3/FC4... any ubisoft game per Steam, you must install uPlay anyway

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

From steam store page:

Additional Notes: Over time downloadable content and programming changes will change the system requirements for this game. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer and www.rockstargames.com/support for current compatibility information. Some system components such as mobile chipsets, integrated, and AGP graphics cards may be incompatible. Unlisted specifications may not be supported by publisher. Other requirements: Installation and online play requires log-in to Rockstar Games Social Club (13+) network; internet connection required for activation, online play, and periodic entitlement verification; software installations required including Rockstar Games Social Club platform, DirectX , Chromium, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 sp1 Redistributable Package, and authentication software that recognizes certain hardware attributes for entitlement, digital rights management, system, and other support purposes. SINGLE USE SERIAL CODE REGISTRATION VIA INTERNET REQUIRED; REGISTRATION IS LIMITED TO ONE ROCKSTAR GAMES SOCIAL CLUB ACCOUNT (13+) PER SERIAL CODE; ONLY ONE PC LOG-IN ALLOWED PER SOCIAL CLUB ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME; SERIAL CODE(S) ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE ONCE USED; SOCIAL CLUB ACCOUNTS ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE. Partner Requirements: Please check the terms of service of this site before purchasing this software.

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/

On that note, notice how it seems to mention something about scanning your hardware. The rest of the notes make it sound more like "one pc login at a time per account" but that hardware scan makes me wonder if they're going to lock the game to a single pc per purchase.

Be dammed sneaky of them if they do this. Not saying they are, just the wording and mention of that scan requirement bothers me

- Alston

Bleh looks like I'll get the game standalone, unless there is a compelling discount on Steam or Steam key distributors.

I don't think they will hardware lock the game if it requires always online active DRM.

"ONLY ONE PC LOG-IN ALLOWED PER SOCIAL CLUB ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME"

So if they are to scan hardware, I think it may be for the sake of identifying the legitimate original owner's computer and preventing the account from being hijacked.

Something like Steam Guard. I like Steam Guard.

When there is bad DRM like Uplay, I buy the game if I've found it to my liking but I'll download a torrent.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I'm going to guess that the online part will be handled with Social Club, and not Steamworks. Which I'm kinda glad about, as long as I don't have to install anything extra.

yeah i'm thinking that too

When I was on PS3, I had GTA V. And when I went online I had to sign into RGSC, so maybe we will have to have it for online mode.

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

Steam will still use RGSC, which really isn't that bad anymore. it can give you some nice insight onto your GTA:V progress and it got you some free stuff in gtao if you linked your SC with your console. plus it is required to add custom maps to gtao, atleast it is on console

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Horses are love, Horses are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

You can safely bet that Social Club will be in it regardless. That's how you organize your crews, etc etc. Having used it when playing on the PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One, I don't find it to be too terrible. Then again I didn't use it with GTA IV so I have nothing to compare it to.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))