White Shinobi on a Budget

mineablecrafter

This is a build im doing for my friend on a $825 CAD budget... BUT i ran into a problem, i cant figure out what mother board to buy.

sooo... Would any of youz have suggestions for a motherboard to go with a 3570 (NO K) for less than $100

Specs

Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Avexir Budget Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory                      (MUST STAY AT 8GB)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive     (MUST STAY)

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card

BitFenix Shinobi Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case                       (MUST STAY)

Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)                     (MUST BE WINDOWS 7)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19VYP

Also if you have sugestions to swap out parts that would work better please say so

Thanks in advance and sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.

Why not go AMD if you want a good budget PC. also there motherboards are cheaper.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

You should get the XFX 550 Core PSU instead. More wattage, higher quality and only around $40 depending on where you buy.

A good motherboard would be the ASrock H77M. Ditch the whole B75 stuff since it's for businesses and stuff. The main difference between B75 and H77 is that H77 has two SATA III ports instead of the one port found on B75 boards.

Heres this it is 25$ over but a lot better.  You could wait for the 760 tomorrow to see about that http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19Wkb

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

You should get the XFX 550 Core PSU instead. More wattage, higher quality and only around $40 depending on where you buy.

I dont trust XFX pwer supplies. always always get a good PSU. it is literally the most important part of a computer.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

The Raidmax PSU is junk.

Agreed but it is still 85% efficient.  The budget doesn't leave much room and he/she could get a better one and go a 760 if it is cheaper

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Agreed but it is still 85% efficient.  The budget doesn't leave much room and he/she could get a better one and go a 760 if it is cheaper

Get a CX500. Should be plenty for most systems out there.

Try eBaying for some of your parts. I scored a corsair vengence 8gb (2 x 4gb) ram for $40, and a Radeon HD 5850 for $100.

Try eBaying for some of your parts. I scored a corsair vengence 8gb (2 x 4gb) ram for $40, and a Radeon HD 5850 for $100.

Agreed, your trying to squeeze a decent level of performance from a very small budget, so I'd ebay some parts, it's really not as risky as it once was anymore.

Although, I'd still get an AMD CPU because you'll be spending a lot less and still get the same kind of performance in games.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Agreed, your trying to squeeze a decent level of performance from a very small budget, so I'd ebay some parts, it's really not as risky as it once was anymore.

Although, I'd still get an AMD CPU because you'll be spending a lot less and still get the same kind of performance in games.

On that note I suggest getting an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU. There is no point in getting an i5-3570 non K, because honestly.... Why spend that much on a cpu that you won't be able to overclock. The 965 is a very underrated cpu and it's performance is outstanding given the price point. You can even overclock it according to your needs. Also games today do not reach over 4 cores. And I don't think they will be for another few years. And for the gpu, the 660 is not worth buying new. Like I said, just ebay your video card. The 5850 overclocked is almost or better than the 660 (depending on how much you overclock it) and it is at such a cheap price on ebay.

On that note I suggest getting an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU. There is no point in getting an i5-3570 non K, because honestly.... Why spend that much on a cpu that you won't be able to overclock. The 965 is a very underrated cpu and it's performance is outstanding given the price point. You can even overclock it according to your needs. Also games today do not reach over 4 cores. And I don't think they will be for another few years. And for the gpu, the 660 is not worth buying new. Like I said, just ebay your video card. The 5850 overclocked is almost or better than the 660 (depending on how much you overclock it) and it is at such a cheap price on ebay.

I'd have to second that. For budget gaming systems it's definitely AMD. OP, there are some great deals out there, just make sure you have a good look before you jump in.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

TheDigitalRealm, on 25 Jun 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

I'd have to second that. For budget gaming systems it's definitely AMD. OP, there are some great deals out there, just make sure you have a good look before you jump in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262 $85 as of today

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727 $80 as of today

That would be less than the i5 3570 all together. Sure the processor won't be as good as an i5 3570, but you won't see much of a difference in gaming. As long as your video card is decent than it's fine. The only big difference you will see in these processors will be stuff like heavy video editing or large landscape games like Dayz or Battlefield. But you're on a budget so i'm pretty sure you can overlook like 5-10 fps difference. With the money you save, you can get a better power supply for overclocking and get a better heatsink.

Here's what you could do: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1a39j

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

This belongs in the New Builds and Planning thread. :P

thanks for saying that, i wasent sure were to put this.

The P series processors of intel are never worth it.

Why not? If you're not using the integrated graphics, what's the point of paying more other than a very slight clock speed boost?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Why not? If you're not using the integrated graphics, what's the point of paying more other than a very slight clock speed boost?

And whats the point of paying 180 for a processor that you can't even overclock, when you can get an amd processor + motherboard that you can overclock at that price point?

And whats the point of paying 180 for a processor that you can't even overclock, when you can get an amd processor + motherboard that you can overclock at that price point?

Better single core performance/less power consumption/More itx motherboard solutions.

Better single core performance/less power consumption/More itx motherboard solutions.

I highly doubt power consumption is an issue. He wants a bitfenix white shinobi case so itx motherboard solutions are out of the question. May have better single core performance, but we are talking about a budget build here. The difference in performance is not worth given the price difference. With the money you save, buy a better graphics card if you want.

I highly doubt power consumption is an issue. He wants a bitfenix white shinobi case so itx motherboard solutions are out of the question. May have better single core performance, but we are talking about a budget build here. The difference in performance is not worth given the price difference. With the money you save, buy a better graphics card if you want.

I guess he could go with an 8320. Not that it would help that much in real world usage.

I guess he could go with an 8320. Not that it would help that much in real world usage.

He can go with an 8320, but like i said, games today are not using the all the 8 cores. So might as well save a few bucks and grab a 965 where you're actually using everything on that cpu effectively. Plus the 965 is a great overclocker.

He can go with an 8320, but like i said, games today are not using the all the 8 cores. So might as well save a few bucks and grab a 965 where you're actually using everything on that cpu effectively. Plus the 965 is a great overclocker.

The thing is clock speeds are useless when comparing different architectures. The Ivy Bridge architecture is newer and a lot faster than the K10 architecture of the Phenom II. The price difference is fully justified.

The only point in favor of the Phenom II is that it can be overclocked freely.

The i5 is a much faster cpu in general although "much faster" is largely subjective. From an end user perspective without a stopwatch, it's doubtful you could tell which is powering a which pc if they were running next to each other. it would only become evident in extremely cpu intensive activities... such as encoding video or unzipping huge files, or with certain games at certain resolutions.

The Phenom II is playable and serviceable but if you need an elite cpu to do advanced processing, it's not anywhere near as fast as the intel.

The 965 is a great budget cpu but if a 3350P fits in his budget, why compromise such performance? 

The thing is clock speeds are useless when comparing different architectures. The Ivy Bridge architecture is newer and a lot faster than the K10 architecture of the Phenom II. The price difference is fully justified.

The only point in favor of the Phenom II is that it can be overclocked freely.

The i5 is a much faster cpu in general although "much faster" is largely subjective. From an end user perspective without a stopwatch, it's doubtful you could tell which is powering a which pc if they were running next to each other. it would only become evident in extremely cpu intensive activities... such as encoding video or unzipping huge files, or with certain games at certain resolutions.

The Phenom II is playable and serviceable but if you need an elite cpu to do advanced processing, it's not anywhere near as fast as the intel.

The 965 is a great budget cpu but if a 3350P fits in his budget, why compromise such performance? 

Because if you're really going to get an i5, might as well drop down another 40 for a K series. I highly doubt that his friend would be doing advanced processing because he is going for a budget build. He is most likely going to play games for the most part. So just use the extra money you save and buy a better gpu. You can also upgrade the cpu later for when the new amd processors come out. If you get the 3350p then want to upgrade, you're spending more than you originally intended. Don't get me wrong, I love intel. I have a 3570k, but if I were in a different situation with a tight budget, AMD is always the answer. I just don't think a P processor is worth it given the price it is and you don't even have the option to overclock.