Cherry MX Blue "ping" spring noise?

Hi, so I got my first mechanical keyboard over the weekend (glad to finally be apart of this prestigious club) and I'm loving it but I noticed on some of the keys there is a "ping" noise coming form the spring inside the switch. It isn't particularly loud but when I do notice it it is rather annoying. I turned to Google for help and turns out it's a pretty common problem, mainly with Filco boards, and I saw a few people mention that it's only a problem the first couple of days of use because it's a new keyboard/switches and you just need to give them time to "break in"? If anyone else with this issue tell me if this is true and if it will go away, because like I said it's not an urgent issue it's just a bit annoying. Oh and my keyboard is the Corsair K70 (non RGB) Cherry MX Blue version.

Thanks,

Paul :)

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

that's strange. it will likely go away though.

if it's not gone in a couple weeks and if it is really bothersome then try to contact Filco for a possibe RMA.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

that's strange. it will likely go away though.

if it's not gone in a couple weeks and if it is really bothersome then try to contact Filco for a possibe RMA.

I have the Corsair K70, I was just saying apparently it's quite common for Filco boards. I will contact Corsair if necessary though :)

Type like rapid if its not gone after a week or two I'd probably send it back. 

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Idk, I have the Corsair K70 non RGB with browns and I am pretty sure it is normal. Only if I listen closely and put my ear like a few inches a way then I hear it. But you are using blues so the ping might be a little bit louder. I also think the ping is not only from the keyswitch itself but from the force you use to press on the key as it echos throughout and inside the keyboard itself.

Idk, I have the Corsair K70 non RGB with browns and I am pretty sure it is normal. Only if I listen closely and put my ear like a few inches a way then I hear it. But you are using blues so the ping might be a little bit louder. I also think the ping is not only from the keyswitch itself but from the force you use to press on the key as it echos throughout and inside the keyboard itself.

Yeah the blues obviously have the (sensational) click but I thought that it might also be to do with the fact that the top of our keyboards have that metal backplate that the keys hit if you bottom them out and i tapped a pen against the metal and it kind of produced the same noise. So i think it's a combination of the switches and properties of metal, but if the switches sort themselves out then I don't really mind the noise from the metal

I've a Razer BWU 2013 with MX Blues and I've never had the 'spring ping' thing happen. I think it is becasue my back plate is plastic rather than metal.

Okay, sometimes the space bar does it if it is hit rather harshly and quickly, but apart from that it doesn't really happen with the other keys. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Yeah the blues obviously have the (sensational) click but I thought that it might also be to do with the fact that the top of our keyboards have that metal backplate that the keys hit if you bottom them out and i tapped a pen against the metal and it kind of produced the same noise. So i think it's a combination of the switches and properties of metal, but if the switches sort themselves out then I don't really mind the noise from the metal

Yea the metal too. I don't think it should really be a problem though. Maybe you are mashing on the keyboard really hard? I was thinking of getting blues for my K70 but even with my browns, I got used to not bottoming out and by going half way. But when I am gaming, I just click they keys how ever I do. (I am pretty sure I smash my keys when I play League of Legends) When typing though, I am usually more aware and don't bottom out because I have gotten use to it.

I've a Razer BWU 2013 with MX Blues and I've never had the 'spring ping' thing happen. I think it is becasue my back plate is plastic rather than metal.

Okay, sometimes the space bar does it if it is hit rather harshly and quickly, but apart from that it doesn't really happen with the other keys. 

I only really hear the ping if yea I smash my spacebar. But try putting your ear close to your key, like a few inches away. I am pretty sure you can hear a very subtle ping. But yea, may be a little bit because of the metal back plate rather than plastic. (build quality ftw tho)

I only really hear the ping if yea I smash my spacebar. But try putting your ear close to your key, like a few inches away. I am pretty sure you can hear a very subtle ping. But yea, may be a little bit because of the metal back plate rather than plastic. (build quality ftw tho)

There's a small ping for the keys. Not noticeable until the ear is indeed very close. (But it's so green! The plastic back board is green too!) 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

My browns make a 'ping' noise but its only loud enough if I put my ear to the board.

I have a blue switch from a switch sampler and that pings. So do the green and white ones, as well as all the others (but to a much lesser extent).

Edit, I think it might be the way they're mounted, because the browns on my actual keyboard don't ping at all.

Yea the metal too. I don't think it should really be a problem though. Maybe you are mashing on the keyboard really hard? I was thinking of getting blues for my K70 but even with my browns, I got used to not bottoming out and by going half way. But when I am gaming, I just click they keys how ever I do. (I am pretty sure I smash my keys when I play League of Legends) When typing though, I am usually more aware and don't bottom out because I have gotten use to it.

It's most prominent with my Up Arrow Key, but I can barely make it out if i don't bottom it out but keep in mind this is my first ever mechanical keyboard and I'm only a couple days in using it so I still bottom out but I'll try and work on that :) How long did it take you before you stopped bottoming out?

It's most prominent with my Up Arrow Key, but I can barely make it out if i don't bottom it out but keep in mind this is my first ever mechanical keyboard and I'm only a couple days in using it so I still bottom out but I'll try and work on that :) How long did it take you before you stopped bottoming out?

For me since I am using browns, it took me like a week or 2, and yes, that is only for me. But since you have blues, it shouldn't be as long since blues have a bigger bump and a click. But it depends how long you get use to it, there is no actual time of how long do you get use to it since everyone is different. Also, it is the same for me that my k70 with browns have a only SLIGHTLY louder ping with my arrow keys.

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2015 at 1:43 PM, Robi_g said:

I have a blue switch from a switch sampler and that pings. So do the green and white ones, as well as all the others (but to a much lesser extent).

Edit, I think it might be the way they're mounted, because the browns on my actual keyboard don't ping at all.

What's your actual keyboard? The one that doesn't ping.

Thanks

The ping sound is not actually the spring or even the switch. It is the sound of the metal plate vibrating when the stem comes up and hits the switch top. The sound will be more prominent around keys where the plate has no support from beneath.

On 1/20/2015 at 4:58 PM, PaulC1 said:

It's most prominent with my Up Arrow Key

Try this... put your fingers on the empty space around the key, press down on the plate, now try to make it ping. The ping should be less pronounced, you may have other parts of the keyboard also vibrating as well.

The solution is to stabilize or otherwise absorb the vibration. How you go about that is up to you. Some open up the keyboard and stuff erasers between the pcb and the plate.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS