X79 Motherboard recommendations?

Go to solution Solved by Raptus,

I've got the P9X79 Pro now and it's a great board with no problems. However, if you really want a hardcore board the ROG-series of X79-boards are as good as it gets. The Sabertooth is a good board as well. However I am not familiar with watercooling so I can't speak of the boards in form of that capability.

A little background information / user case: This is a build I'm doing for a friend and has put forward this criteria.

1. Will be water cooling and heavily OC'ing the CPU

2. I'll originally be doing an SLI set up, with a possible 3rd card in the future.

3. Needs to be W.C friendly: RAM, MOBO cooling.

He want's the best bang for buck and preferably wants to keep spending to a minimum, although if it's worth it, will stretch his budget. 

I'm not very familiar with X79, any ideas?

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

There are a lot of variables. Will it be a custom loop? Any preferred colors? Why watercool your RAM? And why a third GPU?

I've got the P9X79 Pro now and it's a great board with no problems. However, if you really want a hardcore board the ROG-series of X79-boards are as good as it gets. The Sabertooth is a good board as well. However I am not familiar with watercooling so I can't speak of the boards in form of that capability.

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

The rampage IV extreme is probably the best x79 board that fits those criteria. Not sure about the RAM/mobo cooling on them, but I've seen a few cheaper gigabyte boards that didn't look too bad.

I know there's mobo blocks for the Rampage IV Extreme and the Gigabyte X79 UP7, might want to look into these boards. To my knowledge they both overclock excellent.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

There are a lot of variables. Will it be a custom loop? Any preferred colors? Why watercool your RAM? And why a third GPU?

Yes, It will be a custom loop, and it's what the guy wants, I told him it's useless, but he thinks it looks cool. It's his money at the end of the day.

Looks like it's an RoG board then! This should be fun! Never done an X79 build before. :O

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor