Is VB.net worth learning?

Emoticon

I've switched to a new school, high school and one of the programming classes they offer is a beginners programming class that is focused on Visual Basic. You have to complete this class to move onto Java coding and I'm wondering if going this line would help me with programming Sorry if this is kind of rambling it's kind of late. They also offer a computer science class which I wouldn't hate taking.

Well how is Visual Basic used and do you still use it?

Visual Basic is a very good programming language for beginners.

Visual Basic is used to make programs only for the Windows OS that supports the appropriate .Net frameworks.

If i need a basic program for windows that i can't find on the internet then i would use visual basic to quickly and easily make a program.

Java is a very good language to learn although it is a bit harder to learn then visual basic. The advantage of Java is that the program you make can work on any OS.

I'd like to see what the computer science class offers for you to learn before i would make a choice about which to take.

This is their explanation of the course.

post-5555-1366786137693_thumb.png

From what i've heard, the things you can do with VB are very limited.

It's a language intended to write simple programs.

The syntax doesn't look anything like Java, C#, C++, ... or 90% of the other languages.

I'm not sure if many people still use VB. I don't really think it's worth learning, except if you want to follow the Java course.

I can really recommend Java though, but if i understand correctly you have to complete the VB course first.

If you're interested in programming and you have the intention to do Java afterwards, I'd go for it without a doubt.

VB.NET uses the .NET framework, so it'll work with any code written in C#, and any code written in C# works with VB.NET. I never used it myself (I did use VB6 when I was a kid), but it's supposed to be a beginner's programming language. I'm not too sure about that because the code samples I see actually confuse the hell out of me.

As for serious programming, nobody actually uses VB.NET. Plenty of people use Java, though, and it's definitely worth learning, so if there's no other way you can get to learn Java, go for it. If you can learn Java without learning VB.NET, just don't bother with it. Nobody in the industry does.