A Curious Question To The Whole Linus Tech Tips Community

Geekazoid

Hi guys,

This is a question inspired by @Volbet's post that you can find right here > http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/292640-linus-tech-tips-forum-profile-posts-vs-likes-vs-views/#entry3974154 <.

It is as follows:

What would your like/post ratio truly be like if your posts were counted in the 'Off Topic' section of the forum?

My answer, I think mine would be even worse than it is at the moment.

Please answer as truthfully as you can, because if you don't you're only lying to yourself.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Worse.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Like to post ratio is stupid to chase after. If you make funny comments only in news you will have good like ratio. If you go around consulting people on their builds or purchasing decisions you will not reach anything good, because new users don't click likes. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Like to post ratio is stupid to chase after. If you make funny comments only in news you will have good like ratio. If you go around consulting people on their builds or purchasing decisions you will not reach anything good, because new users don't click likes.

It's just a curious question. No need to start a debate over it. This was not my intention. :)

It would be worse for everyone since the number of likes are the same, but the number of posts differ.

For example, you currently have ~2000 likes with ~8000 posts, which sets your ratio at 1:4. However, if you posted 2000 times in off topic, that would set it to 1:5. (10000 posts and 2000 likes)

Compatible with Windows 95

Likes really just say are you funny or not, it tells pretty much nothing about anything else.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Wohoo, I inspired something.

My like/post ratio would be much worse. I would probably have 66% more posts if Off topic posts counted, and my likes would remain the same. 

But as I said in the thread you linked, I don't think like/post ratio should be a goal. It doesn't really show anything.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I actually think that people swear just to get likes. Like dropping several F-Bombs seems to get some members a tonne of likes and this encourages younger kids to use that kind of language on here, which I don't think is appropriate or nice.

Likes really just say are you funny or not, it tells pretty much nothing about anything else.

Some people thank for help that way, but not all that often because they just leave after they satisfied mostly.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Wohoo, I inspired something.

Well you raised a good point that I simply had to ask the entire community. :)

Some people thank for help that way, but not all that often because they just leave after they satisfied mostly.  :lol:

That is true, I've even done that, more so when I didn't feel like replying. It kinda saids thanks anyway.

I tend to avoid posting... 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Well you raised a good point that I simply had to ask the entire community. :)

I'm just kinda surprised, that that post would be the one to inspire something. It really wasn't one of my better ones.

I actually think that people swear just to get likes. Like dropping several F-Bombs seems to get some members a tonne of likes and this encourages younger kids to use that kind of language on here, which I don't think is appropriate or nice.

While I haven't made the same observation, there could be reasons for it. 

Usually swear words can be used to underline a point, be it a serious or a humorous one. Thereby a post containing a well placed swear word, will be better understood by most, and thereby it will be more likely to get a like.

This is not going into the whole debate, on whether or not ´bad´ words exist.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Probably double the amount of posts I have now. I don't know, actually. No more likes though. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"