Sony and Disney Begin Streaming Movies That Are Still in Theaters

bryster126

Link: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/24/4458644/disney-sony-on-demand-streaming-korea

Summary: Sony and Disney have started a trial in Korea to stream movies that are still in theaters. They're still gauging interest in the US and the UK.

Insight: This would be a great move from sony, and it something that people would love to see. However there are some setbacks. For instance, there is nothing stopping people from inviting 5 people over to watch a movie on their big screen TV, which would effectively mean that 5 people would pay $12 instead of $60. This can be resolved with Microsoft's patent for detecting the number of people in a room, but the infrastructure is still not there. 

I know allot of ppl not just  geek's who find it as a hassle to go to the  Theaters

so I think it would make em some  money 

and even if you are 5 ppl who watch it together  the money you save you are properly gonna use on more movies 

i.e when you rent movies its for the most not to watch it alone .... well depends on the genre :Þ  

Link: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/24/4458644/disney-sony-on-demand-streaming-korea

Summary: Sony and Disney have started a trial in Korea to stream movies that are still in theaters. They're still gauging interest in the US and the UK.

Insight: This would be a great move from sony, and it something that people would love to see. However there are some setbacks. For instance, there is nothing stopping people from inviting 5 people over to watch a movie on their big screen TV, which would effectively mean that 5 people would pay $12 instead of $60. This can be resolved with Microsoft's patent for detecting the number of people in a room, but the infrastructure is still not there.

PS4 just got a little more tantalizing. :D

Still doesn't beat a Cinema experience (massive screen, awesome audio, popcorn, etc), but if money was tight (theater food is expensive, but delicious and Gas is just expensive) would be a good alternative.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I look forward to the day where I can stream a new movie in the comfort of my home with friends/family. It'll happen eventually.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

this would make a great excuse to bring a girl home instead of a movie theater.   :wub:

kidding aside, i'm sure this won't happen in our country - at least for the next 5 years. Internet speed here is just soooooooooooooooooooo slow and expensive too. 

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

For instance, there is nothing stopping people from inviting 5 people over to watch a movie on their big screen TV, which would effectively mean that 5 people would pay $12 instead of $60.

This is true, however, in a move theatre you get the "movie theatre experience"... ie. Massive screen, great sound, etc etc, and ofcourse, you got to pay the movie theatre owners their profit, Movies theatres need to hire staff, buy equipment, rent buildings etc. So yes, you would expect to pay more at the Theatres. But I see how bringing 10 friends over for a movie would be a problem as well. Interesting subject....

This is true, however, in a move theatre you get the "movie theatre experience"... ie. Massive screen, great sound, etc etc, and ofcourse, you got to pay the movie theatre owners their profit, Movies theatres need to hire staff, buy equipment, rent buildings etc. So yes, you would expect to pay more at the Theatres. But I see how bringing 10 friends over for a movie would be a problem as well. Interesting subject....

Typically movie theaters don't make much profit on the tickets, big movies in the first week the theater gets around 10% of the ticket price, and each week after that their cut gets a little bit bigger. This is why the food at the theater is so expensive.

I would've rather streamed the last few films from theaters to my home instead given that people can't shut the hell up in a movie theater anymore. Into Darkness was almost ruined for me because this group of teens behind us wouldn't shut up until I ever so politely told them to.