[Rumor] Microsoft preparing a major company restructure/shake-up

GoodBytes

As we know, Ballmer has been working to change Microsoft direction away from pure software and into what he described in October 2012 as a 'devices and services company.' We saw this with the Surface tablet as a first step in making their own hardware in the PC business. And as for services, we saw the creation of the Azure cloud platform.

The problem Microsoft had, is that departments with Microsoft arent; really communicating with each other. Things are apart. For example, Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. While Windows Phone 8 share the core of Windows 8, Win8 Modern UI apps cant' be easily transferred to the phone easily. They need to modified more than screen dimension and placement of buttons, and such. Many API code needs to be changed. Or back in the days of the Zune, the Zune music player was so apart, that Windows didn't detect it nor have any drivers, Windows Media Player either. Only the Zune software can detect the device. And for a moment, Microsoft had 2 music stores. The one in Media Player, and the one in the Zune app.

AllThingsD report that an unnamed sources claims that ss soon as the beginning of July, Ballmer is expected to reveal a major reorganisation to senior executives, and is expected to fire and replace many managers.

That prospect has many top managers at the company worried, since Ballmer has been making these significant plans with limited consultation with the wider leadership group at the software giant. Instead, he has been working with only a small group of his direct reports and also some Microsoft board members, numerous sources said.

That has meant that most senior execs have largely been left out of the decision-making process related to Ballmer’s goal of solidifying Microsoft into the “devices and services company,” that he wrote about in his annual shareholder letter last October.

The impending changes — and the lack of information about them — has made for some level of discomfort inside Microsoft, where many high-ranking managers have been at the company for a very long time.

“It feels like it is going to be titanic — that Steve is doing this change for his legacy,” said one person close to the situation. “And it’s the first time in a long time that it feels like that there will be some major shifts, including some departures.”

Source: http://allthingsd.com/20130623/update-microsoft-restructuring-nears-as-execs-top-fret-over-their-fate/

Minus the firing that is all good news. Hopefully they will listen to what people want and try and make changes there. I am afraid that they will change the things we like and leave the things we dont like alone.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Is don mattrick about to get his p45? I bloody well hope so.

About time i would say after the failure of windows 8.

i mean metro is a good idea, but the apps on app store that ment to replace windows apps are awfull lack features and logic that even the oldest windows 95 apps had.

Lol, calling Windows 8 a 'failure'...

Windows phone and tablet are useless though.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

As we know, Ballmer has been working to change Microsoft direction away from pure software and into what he described in October 2012 as a 'devices and services company.' We saw this with the Surface tablet as a first step in making their own hardware in the PC business. And as for services, we saw the creation of the Azure cloud platform.

The problem Microsoft had, is that departments with Microsoft arent; really communicating with each other. Things are apart. For example, Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. While Windows Phone 8 share the core of Windows 8, Win8 Modern UI apps cant' be easily transferred to the phone easily. They need to modified more than screen dimension and placement of buttons, and such. Many API code needs to be changed. Or back in the days of the Zune, the Zune music player was so apart, that Windows didn't detect it nor have any drivers, Windows Media Player either. Only the Zune software can detect the device. And for a moment, Microsoft had 2 music stores. The one in Media Player, and the one in the Zune app.

AllThingsD report that an unnamed sources claims that ss soon as the beginning of July, Ballmer is expected to reveal a major reorganisation to senior executives, and is expected to fire and replace many managers.

Source: http://allthingsd.com/20130623/update-microsoft-restructuring-nears-as-execs-top-fret-over-their-fate/

The Zune app music store and the Xbox music store are one in the same, you just have a different UI. I think I was the only person alive to buy a Zune because all my purchases from zune carried over to Xbox Music and Xbox Video. Xbox Video picked up that on my account I bought a few movies and showed them correctly that I had download and streaming licensees. Zune has been completely scraped by Microsoft and the software is only avaliable for legacy support with zune players. (I bought the original 30gb brown brick, thing is built like a tank within a tank as it refuses to die). However Xbox Music and Xbox Video apps now have built in support for Windows Phones as the windows phones are the successors to the Zune product line. 

The Zune app music store and the Xbox music store are one in the same, you just have a different UI.

I said Windows Media Player. I know that the XBox Music Store and Zune Marketplace are identical.

I think I was the only person alive to buy a Zune because all my purchases from zune carried over to Xbox Music and Xbox Video. Xbox Video picked up that on my account I bought a few movies and showed them correctly that I had download and streaming licensees.

No your not. I have a Zune 120. That and the Zune HD are the best MP3 music player evar!

Zune has been completely scraped by Microsoft and the software is only avaliable for legacy support with zune players.

Actually, it's used for Windows Phone 7 users, and for offering Xbox Music Pass to Windows XP, Vista, and 7 users.

(I bought the original 30gb brown brick, thing is built like a tank within a tank as it refuses to die).

Agreed. Even the screen is scratch resistant, and you can share songs between Zune MP3 players. That MO3 player was ahead of it's time. Sadly it wasn't fashionable like the iPod was.

However Xbox Music and Xbox Video apps now have built in support for Windows Phones as the windows phones are the successors to the Zune product line.

Yup, so if my Zune breaks.. I am forced to buy a smartphone to be used as exclusively an MP3 player... that will be crazy expensive.

I said Windows Media Player. I know that the XBox Music Store and Zune Marketplace are identical.

No your not. I have a Zune 120. That and the Zune HD are the best MP3 music player evar!

Actually, it's used for Windows Phone 7 users, and for offering Xbox Music Pass to Windows XP, Vista, and 7 users.

Agreed. Even the screen is scratch resistant, and you can share songs between Zune MP3 players. That MO3 player was ahead of it's time. Sadly it wasn't fashionable like the iPod was.

Yup, so if my Zune breaks.. I am forced to buy a smartphone to be used as exclusively an MP3 player... that will be crazy expensive.

Screw being fashionable, I want a music player that makes even the Nokia 3310 phone to quake in its boots :D 

Screw being fashionable, I want a music player that makes even the Nokia 3310 phone to quake in its boots :D

You bet! But sadly people decided form over function... let alone build quality, and people ready to pay over 1k of music, where the great majority they don't listen anymore.

100$ per year, you still win/safe today, and get to enjoy far more music as it's all unlimited download.

But to be honest Microsoft was late... the Zune was delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed. Microsoft was seeing itself as a software company... Who knows, probably they were seeing if OEMs wants the Zune OS, or something. The only reason why XBox got launch was Bill gates wanted a computer in every living room. That was something he always wanted since the very early days of Microsoft. So, as Media Center was not taking off, they targeted gaming with the XBox, and we see the transition with the mid life of XBox 360, and now continues with the XBox One.

If Microsoft was not stubborn to be a software company, the Zune probably still would exists, and we would have the Courier (that was a before the iPad)

This is Ballmer alright. Watch interviews with him.

He knows all about business but has nothing like the technical knowledge of Gates.

Gates would sit there and ponder intelligent answers while Ballmer is a shouty  eccentric loon.

I remember reading that Microsoft actually had more hardware patents than software patents.

There are a lot of things that are Microsoft that people do not even realize.

IIRC, they are like the top keyboard seller, top mouse seller, top webcam seller, etc.

I understood this as Ballmer wanting to turn Microsoft into a well-oiled machine which is a smart move. Today's hardware, software, and services are all about "ecosystems." Yes I know that many of you that keep up with tech are tired of that term, but it's where the money's at. If you get consumers invested into one product that has potential to seamlessly work with another then those satisfied consumers will purchase more of your goods.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I remember reading that Microsoft actually had more hardware patents than software patents.

There are a lot of things that are Microsoft that people do not even realize.

IIRC, they are like the top keyboard seller, top mouse seller, top webcam seller, etc.

Here is the thing. Microsoft is full of extremely knowledgeable and talented people. They have a huge ass, possible biggest (for a company), research facilities with the only goal to do research for the sakes of doing research. Innovation is crazy. The problem is the upper management, and the structure of Microsoft. Upper management which many are not open to new ideas and concept, blocks projects from realizing itself, and you can see this many times. And it looks like teams are fighting for survival, and not together.

For example: Visual Studio has a kick-ass text editor with color coding all with impressive performance. Every other Microsoft software that has a text editor for programming, uses their own thing. Why they can't use the work of the Visual Studio team?

Why the Zune is not integrated in Windows, and Windows Media Player? Why does the Zune be like iTunes, the main hub for all devices of Microsoft, and not come with Windows? Why WebMatrix guys don't even use the code for the ribbon bar in Office, and re-invent the wheel?

Same for Windows 8/RT folders?

It just makes no sense, and it's a waste of money... as you have people re-invent the wheel each and every time... time that could have been spent for additional polishing, or even adding new features.

Here is the thing. Microsoft is full of extremely knowledgeable and talented people. They have a huge ass, possible biggest (for a company), research facilities with the only goal to do research for the sakes of doing research. Innovation is crazy. The problem is the upper management, and the structure of Microsoft. Upper management which many are not open to new ideas and concept, blocks projects from realizing itself, and you can see this many times. And it looks like teams are fighting for survival, and not together.

For example: Visual Studio has a kick-ass text editor with color coding all with impressive performance. Every other Microsoft software that has a text editor for programming, uses their own thing. Why they can't use the work of the Visual Studio team?

Why the Zune is not integrated in Windows, and Windows Media Player? Why does the Zune be like iTunes, the main hub for all devices of Microsoft, and not come with Windows? Why WebMatrix guys don't even use the code for the ribbon bar in Office, and re-invent the wheel?

Same for Windows 8/RT folders?

It just makes no sense, and it's a waste of money... as you have people re-invent the wheel each and every time... time that could have been spent for additional polishing, or even adding new features.

Zune comes with Windows if you buy a computer at the Microsoft Store.  I specifically remember this because I remember @ the Microsoft Store, they were advertising the "microsoft signature" for all their PCs (which is to make them come with zero bloatware).  The guy at the desk kept trying to tell me that I won't have to uninstall all the bloatware that comes with the computer if I had bought it somewhere else.

And yet, they came with Zune and Internet Explorer.  I think they don't always bundle Zune with Windows because there is already Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, and the Metro Music App that can play mp3 files.  Why put a 4th program in

It was also missing key drivers.  It was a Sony Vaio Laptop, and it was missing the fingerprint reader drivers, and the stamina/speed drivers, etc.

Zune comes with Windows if you buy a computer at the Microsoft Store.  I specifically remember this because I remember @ the Microsoft Store, they were advertising the "microsoft signature" for all their PCs (which is to make them come with zero bloatware).  The guy at the desk kept trying to tell me that I won't have to uninstall all the bloatware that comes with the computer if I had bought it somewhere else.

And yet, they came with Zune and Internet Explorer. I think they don't always bundle Zune with Windows because there is already Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, and the Metro Music App that can play mp3 files. Why put a 4th program in

They don't put it. At least not anymore.

The Zune software should replace Windows Media Player.. but leave Media Player for legacy support. Of course, it would mean to evolve the Zune software to support external codecs, and bring Media Player features to it, which I am sure it would have been a reality if the Zune team still existed.

It was also missing key drivers.  It was a Sony Vaio Laptop, and it was missing the fingerprint reader drivers, and the stamina/speed drivers, etc.

That is the fault of Sony. Microsoft makes a deal with the OEM, they open the box and do the work, to my knowledge.

About time that they restructured and brought all the different teams together. They can finally share/collaborate better!

Windows phone same thing lack of features same with tablets.

If actualy been thinking off getting a windows tablet, but i want least 1920x1200 res with 7 or 10 inch screen

Lack of features? Lack of apps, maybe, but the feature sets are fairly robust.

Also, a 1920x1200 res on a 7 or 10" Windows tablet would be a pretty bad idea, considering how poorly Windows scales and deals with different DPIs.

So everyone is going to embrace Linux now right?.....   RIGHT?!?  :(

Then it's time that they fixed that.

I do believe they're addressing DPI scaling (for desktop mode, of course) in Windows 8.1.