Making Asus ROG Swift PG278Q work with PS4

BerginUK

I'm really stuck here.

I do 95% of my gaming on my GTX 980 equipped PC. To this end, I bought the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, which I've absolutely fallen in love with.

For the other 5% I own a PS4. As we all know, some games just do not come to PC. Take for example PS exclusives like Uncharted 4, and let's face it, whatever Rockstar puts out next will suffer a significant delay for the PC version.

I use my PS4 so little that, when I bought this screen, I neglected to notice that it doesn't have a HDMI input - effectively meaning I can't plug it into the monitor.

Is there ANY way around this? Is there any adapter, ANYTHING, that will allow me to use my PS4 with this screen? I'd be devastated if I couldn't play Uncharted 4 etc. I'm really not onboard with the idea of crowding my desk with an additional monitor just to use the PS4. I barely use it, but I DO use it.

Help!

SNIP

AFAIK the Swift does not have a built in scaler, so I dont think it will work

Dont you have a TV you can plug it into?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Get a HDMI to DVI adapter, they're cheap.

EDIT: or the other way around, confused :D

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

adapters probably won't work with it either.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Maybe use an adapter that converts whatever connections you have left on the Swift to HDMI? There are lots of DP to HDMI adapters out there.

If not, like ShadowCap said, you don't have a TV or anything?

Laptop - Asus TUF FX504GM

i7 8750H | 24GB DDR4 | GTX 1060 6GB | 128GB NVMe SSD | 1TB HDD

Peripherals

Logitech G102 Prodigy | Nubwo N12

HDMI --> DVI adapter.

or

HDMI --> DP adapter.

(Not guaranteed to work)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

AFAIK the Swift does not have a built in scaler, so I dont think it will work

Dont you have a TV you can plug it into?

A nearly 1000$ monitor that doesn't have a scaler? That can't be true.

A nearly 1000$ monitor that doesn't have a scaler? That can't be true.

how are you so behind on news? that just amazes me.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

how are you so behind on news? that just amazes me.

wtf, a scaler can upscale the video and interpolate, of course the Swift has one.

EDIT: looked it up. Laugh at me all you want guys but I wasn't expecting that. sorry

wtf, a scaler can upscale the video and interpolate, of course the Swift has one.

it only has a single display port, designed to be run from your GPU for gysnc which handles all scaling tasks

this monitor was not designed to be used as anything other than a 1440p gsync screen, though it will work with other display port computers like AMD cards etc

even if an adapter worked, it would probably look fucked up

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

in every faq asus does not recommend trying any adapter. you can use it with amd gpu with display port though.

Spoiler

in every faq asus does not recommend trying any adapter. you can use it with amd gpu with display port though.

Yes I was wrong sorry.

So the consensus is that there's probably no way to make this work with a PS4?

To those asking, no I don't have a TV.

So the consensus is that there's probably no way to make this work with a PS4?

To those asking, no I don't have a TV.

Im afraid its not just consensus, its fact

sorry bud 

perfect excuse to grab a 50" tv :D

Hi,

It may work but not officially supported.

Are you just using the monitor for the PS4?

If you are I wouldn't recommend buying the SWIFT because you are paying a lot of money for no gains of the extra features. For example G-sync, 2560x1440 and 144hz won't be any benefit for you, if you are just wanting a monitor for the PS4 you can get cheaper 60hz 27" 1080p monitors with native HDMI ports.

Hi,

It may work but not officially supported.

Are you just using the monitor for the PS4?

If you are I wouldn't recommend buying the SWIFT because you are paying a lot of money for no gains of the extra features. For example G-sync, 2560x1440 and 144hz won't be any benefit for you, if you are just wanting a monitor for the PS4 you can get cheaper 60hz 27" 1080p monitors with native HDMI ports.

Dude he uses the swift on his PC. 95% of the time he PC games. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

• 8 months later...

I am so hoping this is not too old a topic to resurrect. I am in the same boat as the thread starter. I have a Rog swift and a steam box. The Rog swift is my only monitor and i use it 98% of the time for PC gaming. Naturally i ran into the same problem as the original poster when i realized I may want to add a ps4 to my setup in the future.  Since The Rog swift only has one Display-port 1.2 connector I thought i would use a cheap adapter like the StarTech DP2HDMI2 to take care of the problem. Only with research did i discover these types of simple adapters could not carry the video over to the display-port.

I thought i had found a solution when i learned of StarTechs active HDMI to display-port adapter  , model HDMI2DP. My joy was short lived however when is discovered my 2nd problem , One display port means i would have to constantly unplug the ps4 in order to use it. I then thought a display-port KVM switch in front of the active adapter would give me more ports to work with. I was crestfallen when i learned that none of the  display-port KVM switches support above 60hz ( one of the main reason i got the Rog besides G-sync was the 144hz refresh rate).  So that was a dead end and at this point i was ready to give up and shelf the idea of the ps4 since I have no room for a 2nd monitor.

This brings me to the reason I posted to this old thread. What about using game capture USB 3.0 cards like the AVerMedia CV710 or the AVerMedia GC550 Live Gamer Extreme . My idea was to use the preview stream window on the PC as a picture in picture in order to to play the console. You wouldn't have to worry about space as you wouldn't be recording. Both of those units boast 60fps at 1080p playback. Pretty much doing what this fellow is doing link.

Now my main concern is Lag and how much of it would be present after watching Linus's video review of the CV710 @ 2.30. He mentioned he fixed it with a HDMI splitter but i am not sure how that would work since I only have a display-port.

So my question is , would this work ? Is there a capture card with almost 0 lag that can be used to play a ps4 or Xbox one on the PC preview screen ? Or has there been a solution that was discovered since this topic was posted that fixed this whole thing ( other than buying a 2nd monitor)

• 3 weeks later...

prissweb, did you actually try the hdmi2dp converter? dont mind switching cables but before spending I'd like to know that it actually works, did you try? 

just answering to myself here. did a bit of searching and apparently other people tried the converter mentioned in prissweb's post with no luck. best guess for the fail is the 1920x1200 resolution support limit. it's driving me crazy, there's got to be a solution