Need help in career/life path :(

T.Vengeance

I just graduated high school and I'm contemplating 2 scenarios.

1. Move out (which I really wanna do) and get a job that pays minimum wage (10.25 an hour) and save up for a year or 2, then go to university. 

1.5 (I guess sub point to 1.) Don't move out but still get a job and save up for a year or 2, then go to university. This is basically the same thing. I'm still taking a year's break from schooling.

2. Don't move out (which is fine but bothersome) and go to university for 4 years in an Aerospace Program while taking a larger loan.

What I'm worried is if I go to university a year later, most of the people that's gonna be in my lecture hall and labs will be a year younger than me. I'm just wondering, does it affect anyone who's been in that situation socially? I don't mind making friends that are a year younger, but during high school, I've always had friends who were the same age as me. And how about anyone hiring? Will they judge me if I graduate with a B.Eng in Aerospace at 23 instead of 22? 

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I just graduated high school and I'm contemplating 2 scenarios.

1. Move out (which I really wanna do) and get a job that pays minimum wage (10.25 an hour) and save up for a year or 2, then go to university. 

1.5 (I guess sub point to 1.) Don't move out but still get a job and save up for a year or 2, then go to university. This is basically the same thing. I'm still taking a year's break from schooling.

2. Don't move out (which is fine but bothersome) and go to university for 4 years in an Aerospace Program while taking a larger loan.

What I'm worried is if I go to university a year later, most of the people that's gonna be in my lecture hall and labs will be a year younger than me. I'm just wondering, does it affect anyone who's been in that situation socially? I don't mind making friends that are a year younger, but during high school, I've always had friends who were the same age as me. And how about anyone hiring? Will they judge me if I graduate with a B.Eng in Aerospace at 23 instead of 22? 

I say Option 2. I will be starting a study myself soon and most will bbe younger than me, it really doesn't matter.

Hmm not sure if it works this way in Canada, but I would stay at home, find a job with tuition reimbursement, go to CC to get general ed stuff out of the way and then transfer to a University

Win10 - AMD 5800X, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Elite, RX 6800XT Midnight Black, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, ARCTIC Liquid Freezr II 360-ARGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB, Cooler Master V850, Fractal Design Meshify 2

unRAID - AMD 1700X, GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, Noctua NH-D9L, WD Red 4TB x3, WD Green 2TB, Intel 160GB SSD, Seasonic S12III 550W, Fractal Design Node 605

pfSense - Intel i5 4570S, ASUS H97I-PLUS, Samsung Green 8GB, Zalman CNPS80G, WD Scorpio Blue 320GB, EVGA SuperNova GA 550W, Fractal Design Node 304

Oops, put my previous post in your quote.

Anyways, I will be MUCH older, I am 19,. most will be 16-17.

I would myself chose 1.5

I basically did that already, most of the people that i went to school with after high school was actually older than me. there we're only 3 people that were younger.

Yes it's stressful but you'll get over it, most of the time you spent there will stay there. There is a whole new life out there and you'll see it all when you're done with school

When it comes to the people hiring i have no idea, if you care enough to talk to people and maybe have worked at someplace before it shouldn't really be to much of a problem. Only annoying part is that most of the job available before you're done at school is mostly grocery stores or similar :)

Remember this is what I would have done, I was sick out of my stomach when it came to school because of personal reasons but it's all better now, and i just finished school for good! :)

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

I recommend staying at home as long as you can if you can work out a deal with your parents where they don't charge you rent as long as you're in school or something.

The one year age difference makes far less of a difference than you're imagining I suspect.

One thing is for sure though. Once you stop going to school it becomes very difficult to go back.

Linus

I recommend staying at home as long as you can if you can work out a deal with your parents where they don't charge you rent as long as you're in school or something.

The one year age difference makes far less of a difference than you're imagining I suspect.

One thing is for sure though. Once you stop going to school it becomes very difficult to go back.

Linus

+1 

Going back to school is as difficult as you choose (at least where i live)

And I know living with your parents is annoying the shit out of you, but it's probably gonna be the best time of your life.

You don't have to pay for food, rent ++. (most people that is)

All i used my money on as a kid was my pc! :)

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

Dunno bout your situation, but the age difference doesn't really mean that much dude. I've gone through uni with guys who are 25, 30, 35 and even 40 now, and they're all great guys - all with jobs / prior industry experience and easily within the top 15% of the uni academically, and very respectable (yeah, it is a bit odd to find a peer group with a total age difference of nearly 20 years :P ). Don't worry too much about your age gap - take time to get some work experience - especially if it could be something related to what you want to study, because that will give you contextual understanding when you're at your lectures and stuff - something that you can relate to your own experience, instead of taking the lecturer's word for it (i find this quite useful). Not sure how things stand in Canada, but in aus you also accrue more respect if you have work experience under your belt while you're at uni - which will certainly compensate a menial 1 year age gap :P

As far as the age thing, as other have stated it doesn't matters. I just recently graduated with my Bachelor's in Environmental Science/Engineering (last Month actually) and I'm 26 years old. Haven't found a position yet, though I do have an interview on Thursday :D

I do recommend trying to get into internships in your field though, I sort of blew them off and never applied to them and figured summer was my time off and I feel that it's really hurting me now trying to find work.

Win10 - AMD 5800X, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Elite, RX 6800XT Midnight Black, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, ARCTIC Liquid Freezr II 360-ARGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB, Cooler Master V850, Fractal Design Meshify 2

unRAID - AMD 1700X, GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, Noctua NH-D9L, WD Red 4TB x3, WD Green 2TB, Intel 160GB SSD, Seasonic S12III 550W, Fractal Design Node 605

pfSense - Intel i5 4570S, ASUS H97I-PLUS, Samsung Green 8GB, Zalman CNPS80G, WD Scorpio Blue 320GB, EVGA SuperNova GA 550W, Fractal Design Node 304

My opinion is to have a break and travel, your young and should make the most of it.

I was about to go backpacking around the world but decided to go into uni ... thats 6 years ago now.

Once I'm done with uni I'll be in a career where I'll be too busy and have too much responsibility to freely travel

Uni is important but having good life experience and a holistic outlook is important, this combined with actual work experience will help you greatly

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Stay at home!!! I stayed at home while I studied. So much cheaper. Turned out I didnt like sitting in lecture rooms so I didnt build up a huge debt, Now I work retail and just take each day as it comes. 

So stay at home, working a regular job will show you how the world works and then if you really want you can go to uni and you would have money to pay for it.

Stay at home and save money..Once you leave the parents your pride will make it hard to go back..At least it did for me when i was your age..

I'm currently in my 3rd year (of 4 years + co-op) of my B.Eng in Electrical Engineering, and I can tell you that it's much better to stay at home if possible (even though my family drives me crazy!). You should also take into account how far it will be to commute, since it can be a pain to travel. I live about 15 minutes away from McMaster University in Canada so it was an amazing opportunity for me. Taking a year off may not be ideal, but it's not really a huge issue. I have a few friends that took off a year to work and they were fine, I even know a few people in my year that are actually doing second degrees, or are even starting 10+ years later. It's not a problem at all and is completely normal, everyone learns at their own pace and shouldn't feel ashamed for it. I wish you success in your future and I hope you make a positive decision!

My opinion is to have a break and travel, your young and should make the most of it.

I was about to go backpacking around the world but decided to go into uni ... thats 6 years ago now.

Once I'm done with uni I'll be in a career where I'll be too busy and have too much responsibility to freely travel

Uni is important but having good life experience and a holistic outlook is important, this combined with actual work experience will help you greatly

I agree completely, but there's nothing stopping you from experiencing the world even after you graduate from University, or even during your breaks if possible? I plan on taking a years break to just travel Europe and Asia before finding a job.

Linus

Linus, I respect you and consider you one of my biggest role-models when it comes to learning about hardware and technology. I am extremely happy that you've become very successful over the years, and I understand that even though you may not have a degree (AKA fancy paper for your wall), you have overcome any limitations through hard work! I understand that you're extremely busy with LinusMediaGroup and caring for your family and I wish you continued success and growth in your future!

I would stay at home and go to uni if I was you. Moving out may seem awesome, having independence and not having any rules and all that. But, remember you have all the time in the world to move out and live a 'bachelor' lifestyle. For now, furthering your education to secure the job you want, while having to pay little to no money to live at home is the best option and one which I would do personally.

I moved out and lived alone while earning little money, it was fun for a bit but bills and food and living costs soon add up. It gets to a point where you earn money and within days it is almost gone, so you can't really have fun. I was miserable, living on from paycheck to paycheck quickly consumes your soul.

I went back to school, got a good job and now live a pretty comfortable lifestyle.

Only you know what you want, and we all have different situations. Those are just my two cents.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

Not so sure what it is like in Canada, but are there student loans? In UK, we have low interest student loans and pays for our tuition + accommodation + living fees. It may also be good to look for some scholarships, which you may be eligible for.

For me, I took a huge student loan for my undergraduate and postgraduate studies and moved out.
It was great being independent, I learnt so much such as learning to cook, paying my own bills, setting up phone/ internet; things which you will never learn if you just stayed at home. I'm currently doing a PhD and I have a scholarship, which pays £14,000 tax free as well as paying for my tuition fee.
So if you can find scholarships or even bursaries it will definitely help.

Personally, I would choose to continue studying or take a gap year. If you do take a gap year, do something useful.
Many employers like to hear what wonderful things you have done in your gap year (i.e working, volunteering, internship, etc..).
The age gap is not a problem, once you step into the big world, you will be working with people in a range of ages.
During my university life, i've met people who were in their 30s - 50s and they are lovely to talk to; it's also interesting to hear their side of the story and how they explain it's so hard to return back to studying after working or even having a family.

If money is an issue, you could try and look for a year internship in some company and work for a year.
They will pay you and you will obtain invaluable experience. Who knows, the company may really like you and could pay for your studies to return back. 

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

I was four year out of HS before I went to college.  It didn't make one bit of difference.  I actually had a leg up on everyone else because I didn't feel the need to stay up and party all night.  I actually went to class!

Honor First!

After school I found myself a job in IT (lucky me), I worked at one school in London as a IT Tech and also did work on schools website. That was for one year. I stayed at my parents house but they kinda strict so I had to pay rent... also buy my own internet because well.. They didnt need it.(didnt need it yet they used it when I bought it). This September I am moving to university, and trust me one year in industry is a huge experience before uni! I have been given unconditional offer from uni in January which is super awesome stuff.  

I am 19 now, my course is 3-4 years ( if i want a year in industry) So i will be around 22-23 when I finish. And trust me, it doesnt make a difference. Employer will not look at your age but Experience! and that extra experience make employers wet for you! :)

Not sure how loans look like in Canada but here in england they are MASSIVE! I think after finishing my course I will have around 38k of loan! thats in POUNDS!... oh well.

I hope my story helped you a little bit. If I was you don't move out just yet. I really really wanted to move out asap! I still do, but living with parents much easier. I have to pay, but I do get food and the bill not that big. 

Peace!

@coolkingler1, @Deeya, @crunzaty, @LinusTech, @Hasufein, @ofr057, @Night, @OneGun, @Justjuice12, @Zonked, @arodrake, @Skull Leader, @ZombieHawk

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I will definitely not be moving out now that I see all that you guys have said. Thanks for telling me how in the long run, it would be much more inconvenient to move out. I'll probably take a year off and work so that I don't have so much debt when I graduate (I'm worried that I won't be able to pay it off before a lot of interest kicks in. Interest kicks in 6 months after I stop going to university.) That's my decision for now. I've told my parents and they're thinking about what I've said. Thank you all once again! :)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”