[Build Log] H2O-Micro (<3 Liter watercooled gaming system)

QinX

Wow, that is absolutely stunning. Guessing you're gonna undervolt the CPU to make sure you can get the best temps?

I'm currently testing with a Intel Celeron G1820, but the system is being designed with a 4790 in mind, so up to a 88W TDP CPU with and GTX970 will be supported, which if both are maxed out will generate just shy of 250W of heat and it can handle up to 400W total. Mind you it will be running hot, but so will it with an intel stock cooler and most notebooks run 70C/80C.

I'm currently testing with a Intel Celeron G1820, but the system is being designed with a 4790 in mind, so up to a 88W TDP CPU with and GTX970 will be supported, which if both are maxed out will generate just shy of 250W of heat and it can handle up to 400W total. Mind you it will be running hot, but so will it with an intel stock cooler and most notebooks run 70C/80C.

But most desktop hardware isn't meant to run at 70/80c constantly under load like mobile hardware is supposed to. I'll be interested to see how the thermals do under a full load, but if you can pull it off I'd sure as hell pay good money for something like that

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

But most desktop hardware isn't meant to run at 70/80c constantly under load like mobile hardware is supposed to. I'll be interested to see how the thermals do under a full load, but if you can pull it off I'd sure as hell pay good money for something like that

70C is okay for a CPU it's the higher 80's that it's getting borderline, we are talking about prolonged full loading, that doesn't happen outside of rendering, most games don't max a CPU.

Eitherway the benefit of the ASUS Q87T is the fan expert software and bios settings. I can set a target temp for the CPU and the board will manage itself.

I have updated the start post to be in line with what I will be posting on other forums.

I've got the new GTX 970 in today.
I'm not really finding any people that have benched it with Unigine Valley/Heaven at stock clocks.
Can someone validate if my score below is reasonable for a reference GTX970
It's Core clock is 1227MHz during the run.

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel® Celeron® CPU G1820 @ 2.70GHz (2700MHz) x2
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 9.18.13.4725 (4095MB) x1
Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Extreme HD

Here's a mockup of my design, I won't be showing the waterloop for now, I will be showing this off later on when I have the physical blocks in hand, gotta keep people guessing somewhat ;)

medium.png

Here's a mockup of my design, I won't be showing the waterloop for now, I will be showing this off later on when I have the physical blocks in hand, gotta keep people guessing somewhat ;)
medium.png

Damn that 970 is really crammed in there. I like it!

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Well I had myself a small problem, how do you test a PCIe riser that can only be folded over a Thin M-ITX motherboard?

Luckily on another forum a member (l3p) was interested in my riser, upon asking why he was interested he answered "Ik dacht dat hij wel handig kon zijn als je een GPU plat op een E-ATX bord wilt leggen. (Dus bovenop de andere PCI-e slots"

Wait what?

Let me Englishify that: "I thought it could be useful for folding a GPU flat over an E-ATX motherboard. (On top of the other PCI-e slots)".

Gotta love when other people turn on the lights in your head. I had an Maximus IV Extreme laying around but no CPU for it. quickly got myself a used Pentium G860 to test with.

*fingers crossed*

medium.png

It works!

the slot it is running in is only 4x 2.0 so fps aren't great, but at least it works!

Here it is all soldered up.

medium.png

Also, why would l3p want to fold the GPU over the motherboard? Well you can slim down you build and show of a waterblock.

He did something similar before but at a 135 degree angle and with a flex riser

27%20%5B550xl3p%5D.JPG

You can learn from this! i'll wait to see the finished product and how well it can perform. But this is an awesome idea! Keep it up buddy!

The X Desk«BuildLog»

.:Custom Watercooled Desk - Gaming Cave:.

Feel free to take a look, I would highly appreciate it.

Well I had myself a small problem, how do you test a PCIe riser that can only be folded over a Thin M-ITX motherboard?

Luckily on another forum a member (l3p) was interested in my riser, upon asking why he was interested he answered "Ik dacht dat hij wel handig kon zijn als je een GPU plat op een E-ATX bord wilt leggen. (Dus bovenop de andere PCI-e slots"

Wait what?
Let me Englishify that: "I thought it could be useful for folding a GPU flat over an E-ATX motherboard. (On top of the other PCI-e slots)".

Gotta love when other people turn on the lights in your head. I had an Maximus IV Extreme laying around but no CPU for it. quickly got myself a used Pentium G860 to test with.

*fingers crossed*

~Snip~

It works!
the slot it is running in is only 4x 2.0 so fps aren't great, but at least it works!

Here it is all soldered up.

~Snip~

Also, why would l3p want to fold the GPU over the motherboard? Well you can slim down you build and show of a waterblock.

He did something similar before but at a 135 degree angle and with a flex riser

~Snip~

This is why we need thin Mini-ITX motherboards with x16 slots

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

6f6.gif

Subbed :D

MAIN Core V21 | i7 5820K @ 4.2 1.21v | Corsair H100i + NF-F12 | Asrock X99M Killer | Crucial Sport 4x4GB 2400 CAS16 @ 2666 CAS15 | 290X DCUII OC @ 1115/1450 1.3v | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 830 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Corsair AX650

I've finished up the GPU waterblock

medium.jpg

Now on to the finishing touches and doing a sanity check of everything.

Are you sure the volume math is correct here? I have an ML07, that is small and its 14 litres, I also have an NCASE M1 which is 12.6litres, you're saying 3 litres?

Its awesome concept and i'm looking forward to watching this build, good luck! god speed!

Are you sure the volume math is correct here? I have an ML07, that is small and its 14 litres, I also have an NCASE M1 which is 12.6litres, you're saying 3 litres?

Its awesome concept and i'm looking forward to watching this build, good luck! god speed!

The housing that contains the hardware is with the sheet metal included a little under 2.8 Liters. However a small lip around the front and back panels that are there for aesthetics and ventilation do increase the total volume to 3.5 Liters. If I'd reduce the lip to it's smallest possible size I would go just under 3 Liters.

The size I have now is:

21,75cm*26,23cm*4,76cm=2,72 Liters

The housing that contains the hardware is with the sheet metal included a little under 2.8 Liters. However a small lip around the front and back panels that are there for aesthetics and ventilation do increase the total volume to 3.5 Liters. If I'd reduce the lip to it's smallest possible size I would go just under 3 Liters.

The size I have now is:

That's crazy.

Are you just making one, or will you sell them?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The size I have now is:

Sounds good! Looking forward to watching this ;)

That's crazy.

Are you just making one, or will you sell them?

Right now I'm building just the one. Then I will be doing a Revision 2 with input from everybody and that I will offer for purchasing when there is enough interest.

Either in kit form (Case, Blocks, radiator etc.) or as a complete system, depends on what people want.

Right now I'm building just the one. Then I will be doing a Revision 2 with input from everybody and that I will offer for purchasing when there is enough interest.

Either in kit form (Case, Blocks, radiator etc.) or as a complete system, depends on what people want.

Awesome.

Are you gonna publish the 3D models/renderings? :)

Thats MY opinion up there, not the ultimate option.

Awesome.

Are you gonna publish the 3D models/renderings? :)

I won't be posting any raw CAD work I have done for at least while. I might do some more 3D renderings though.

I won't be posting any raw CAD work I have done for at least while. I might do some more 3D renderings though.

I cri ;(

Thats MY opinion up there, not the ultimate option.

This question is a bit unrelated to the build (which looks like it could be dope) but i was wondering what 3d software you are using for your renders?