Thoughts on 1440p?

xnoobftw

Id honestly say stick with what you have til the next big tv/console resolution. With so many of our games being ports you are guaranteed to have a supported resolution that way...its why I run a 1080 screen. if the next consoles hit 4k...or stream at 4k or whatever I will get that since ya pretty much everything on the market with have that res.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

But i would not wanna get something in which there isnt loads of content anywhere either! D: What should i do? (I currently run a 22 inch 1080p monitor....)

It all depends on your use scenario and what your budget is. If it's just for gaming, you could just keep what you have until 4k becomes more mainstream. If you need the extra resolution for something like photo editing or hardcore multitasking and don't have a ton of money to spend then 1440p could be a good option. OR you could buy 2 more 1080p monitors and go surround, that's 3/4 of UHD in pixels, for about half the price since you already have one.

Yeah, I guess you're sort of right about that, but the problem with 4K, at least on computer monitors, is that you have to have a big enough display so that text and that isn't too small, because Windows doesn't exactly scale that well at the moment. You'd have to have OS X if you wanted to be able to have things scaled correctly and easy to see.

Personally I don't have any problems with that, my eyesight is pretty epic and I currently don't feel the need for any text scaling on my pb287q. Besides ubuntu does a great job of scaling too, provided you get your gpu drivers working correctly (R9 290 support is pretty lackluster at the moment :(). It's not for everyone, I'll give you that, but bare in mind windows 10 is around the corner and should fix these issues (I'm using the tech preview right now, and the text scaling is much better. I still don't need it but it's nice to have :)). Monitors last a long time, often even across various builds (I still have a 1995 1600x1200 crt from lg, kicks some serious ass for its age), so you might regret your decision when you'll want an upgrade but don't feel like ditching the investment you made. Of course you can keep it as secondary monitor, but at that point you might as well have waited a bit, right? If you already have a 1440p, that's awesome, I just don't feel it's a great choice to buy one now.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Personally I don't have any problems with that, my eyesight is pretty epic and I currently don't feel the need for any text scaling on my pb287q. Besides ubuntu does a great job of scaling too, provided you get your gpu drivers working correctly (R9 290 support is pretty lackluster at the moment :(). It's not for everyone, I'll give you that, but bare in mind windows 10 is around the corner and should fix these issues (I'm using the tech preview right now, and the text scaling is much better. I still don't need it but it's nice to have :)). Monitors last a long time, often even across various builds (I still have a 1995 1600x1200 crt from lg, kicks some serious ass for its age), so you might regret your decision when you'll want an upgrade but don't feel like ditching the investment you made. Of course you can keep it as secondary monitor, but at that point you might as well have waited a bit, right? If you already have a 1440p, that's awesome, I just don't feel it's a great choice to buy one now.

HOLY CRAP! You could type a leg of a chair. :o

Nice debate! I think I'll leave it there though. You have some good points and some points I don't exactly agree with, but, like I said, I'm just gonna leave it there. Twas great debating with you. I think this is a subjective subject though, everyone's not gonna have the same opinion, but that doesn't matter because everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that's that. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

HOLY CRAP! You could type a leg of a chair. :o

Now I want to know what that means xD

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Now I want to know what that means xD

It's the same meaning as "Talk a leg of a chair." It's an Aussie saying. When referring to talking it just simply means that you talk too much or you are talking too much. I just change the "talk" to "type". I'm basically saying that you typed too much. Just joking.

Do you get it now? :)

Do you get it now? :)

yep ^^ I just want to make sure my arguments are clear :)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

yep ^^ I just want to make sure my arguments are clear :)

As clear as mud! :P

Just messin' with ya.

As clear as crystal. :)

i say its going to be 4k, look how much 4k costs right now, what. 700-800 euros? thats "only" 200 more than 1440p monitors

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

It all depends on your use scenario and what your budget is. If it's just for gaming, you could just keep what you have until 4k becomes more mainstream. If you need the extra resolution for something like photo editing or hardcore multitasking and don't have a ton of money to spend then 1440p could be a good option. OR you could buy 2 more 1080p monitors and go surround, that's 3/4 of UHD in pixels, for about half the price since you already have one.

Should i go for a 1080p 144hz freesync monitor then? Or should i scrap that idea and just sit on my current rig?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Should i go for a 1080p 144hz freesync monitor then? Or should i scrap that idea and just sit on my current rig?

Again, it depends on what you want. Do you want 144hz? 144hz 4k won't happen anytime soon, and 144hz 1440p will be more demanding than 4k 60hz.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2014 was the 'year of 4K' and look at the amount of people on the forums rocking 4K! :)

[PC]: i7 4790k @4.1GHZ, EVGA SC GTX 980, HyperX Beast 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-I, NH-L12, WD Green 1TB, Kingston 120GB SSD, Corsair 250D

Again, it depends on what you want. Do you want 144hz? 144hz 4k won't happen anytime soon, and 144hz 1440p will be more demanding than 4k 60hz.

I have no idea... I would like to experinece 144hz tho.... Preferbally with freesync 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

I would like to experinece 144hz tho.... Preferbally with freesync 

Then go for it!

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Then go for it!

But would you recommend a 1440p one or a 1080p one? 

But would you recommend a 1440p one or a 1080p one? 

1440p 144hz will be very hard to drive. As hard or harder than 4k. I'd go 1080p if you haven't experienced it before...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1440p 144hz will be very hard to drive. As hard or harder than 4k. I'd go 1080p if you haven't experienced it before...

I'll make a post about this if you dont mind :) 

I'll make a post about this if you dont mind! :)

I'll make a post about this if you dont mind! :)

fair enough, it's good to hear from more than one person

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'll make a post about this if you dont mind :)

A post or a thread?

A post or a thread?

Thread!

Thread!

Thought so. Haha :D