Vodafone in the Netherlands kicks customers off of their lines if their speed is too slow.

Vodafone in the Netherlands about to get rid of slow-speed customers.

vodafone_text_011808587147_640x360.jpg

Vodafone in the Netherlands, a daughter-company lead by KPN announced they are going to disconnect a few hundred people off of their customer list because their speeds are below 12 megabit.

This has been confirmed by Vodafone after a Tweakers.net user (Dutch tech-website) received a letter in which the new policy was explained. From the 30th of March Vodafone will be rolling out this new policy in which 12 megabit per second is a minimum for Vodafone-home customers.

Customers which can't get those speeds because they're too far from the central-point will be disconnected. The provider also cancels all support for isdn-connections from the 30th of March. Both cases are on the network of KPN.

The reason behind this decision is vague, spokesman Jasper Koek claims it's done to "generate a certain quality"

"We looked at which minimum speed we need to offer to get the quality you expect to get" says Koek.

The minimum-limit of 12 megabit applies to all customers.

"An internetspeed of less than 12 megabit a second is not sufficient for all the services we provide." says Koek. 

Customers with less than 12 megabit are no longer accepted, even doing a postcode check as a new customer shows you won't be accepted.

The decision causes hundreds of Vodafone-customers to have to switch to another ISP. According to Koek it's "a mere few hundred customers, less than a thousand". Of those few hundred customers 200 have isdn-connections; the rest of them have a slow asdl-connection. Customers can switch to another dsl-provider, or if possible choose for cable or glass-fibre provider.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is bullshit, those people would've probably already jumped to another provider with those speeds, obviously they can't switch to cable or glass-fibre, those would've already been connected as they want as much customers as possible. :angry: 

Article (Dutch): http://tweakers.net/nieuws/100790/vodafone-gaat-thuis-klanten-met-trage-verbinding-afsluiten.html

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Dafuq's wrong with people this days...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Oke dus ik moet van VF af.

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Oh, so this is only for home internet users.

If you 'only' get 12 Mbit, you should change ISP I think.

There are some great plans here.. Or is it because the wires in the ground in their house are just not good enough?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yea, screw people who have low internet. Not my problem.

- Vodafone.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I'm not sure I get it.

They're paid to provide a service and when they can't provide it well enough for their own liking, instead of doing the best they can, they don't provide anything at all?

This is bullshit, those people would've probably already jumped to another provider with those speeds, obviously they can't switch to cable or glass-fibre, those would've already been connected as they want as much customers as possible. :angry: 

Article (Dutch): http://tweakers.net/nieuws/100790/vodafone-gaat-thuis-klanten-met-trage-verbinding-afsluiten.html

Not possible, KPN owns nearly all the ADSL lines, and will not upgrade most. And in quite a few areas Ziggo has done the upgrading, but only to the Curb (I believe that this is the correct way to say it), and Ziggo refuses to actually upgrade the network to the houses them selves. I get 500KB/s down and KPN wil not upgrade the network.

Yes the ISP's in the Netherlands are also just terrible

There are some great plans here.. Or is it because the wires in the ground in their house are just not good enough?

I'm not sure I get it.

They're

See above, they can't switch ISP

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

In some part of the article they say it's for all customers, but in other's it mentioned all home-users.

TL;DR, So... their strategy to get faster internet is by cutting line to low speed users to increase their statistical speed?

Yes exactly, they of course won't admit to it, but clearing out slow-speed users does increase your overall average speed, which is a horrible way to make your company seem better.

You're kicking out people who were already in a bad situation to begin with, now they're left in the dark so to speak.

I'm not sure I get it.

They're paid to provide a service and when they can't provide it well enough for their liking, instead of doing the best they can, they don't provide anything at all?

Basically, yes.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

What are ISPs drinking and can i have some of it. It seems as if one of their business goals is to screw as many customers as they can...

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I'm so glad I just turned down one of their offers... besides I'm finally sporting fibre now (although it has just been introduced and doesn't reach mindblowing speeds yet here), no reason to switch to anything else.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

TL;DR, So... their strategy to get faster internet is by cutting line to low speed users to increase their statistical speed?

Sounds like it...

Not possible, KPN owns nearly all the ADSL lines, and will not upgrade most. And in quite a few areas Ziggo has done the upgrading, but only to the Curb (I believe that this is the correct way to say it), and Ziggo refuses to actually upgrade the network to the houses them selves. I get 500KB/s down and KPN wil not upgrade the network.

Yes the ISP's in the Netherlands are also just terrible

See above, they can't switch ISP

KPN used to own the ADSL lines here, but I believe XS4ALL bought them off KPN..

I don't think XS4ALL is terrible at all.. The prices haven't changed, but the internet speed has been going up..

In some part of the article they say it's for all customers, but in other's it mentioned all home-users.

Yes exactly, they of course won't admit to it, but clearing out slow-speed users does increase your overall average speed, which is a horrible way to make your company seem better.

You're kicking out people who were already in a bad situation to begin with, now they're left in the dark so to speak.

Basically, yes.

Well I have prepaid from Vodafone so I got slightly worried 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I got a pissed off customer yesterday since satellite 1mbps upload was not nearly enough for good calls (Should be though) Oddly enough she had no problems with the delay inherent to satellite internet, but she complained about the quality.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You could see it in a more positive light; that they are admitting their lack of interest to upgrade infrastructure in rural and sparsely populated areas and as such don't want to ruin their reputation based on the experience of customers in such areas.

They could choose to try and crush all competition like the ISPs in the U.S do, even when they don't provide adequate service in the first place.

If companies like Comcast, Charter, CenturyLink, etc would admit that they have no business staying in area X then it'd be much easier for municipal ISPs to step up and provide higher quality/speed internet for a lower price.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

wow they shouldn't have the right to decide who access their service by doing that.