Opinion on Pirating

SuperPug

[Hypotethical]

So the upcoming release of GTA V got me pondering a question. I bought the PS3 version of the game on release and was wondering whether or not it would be morally justifyable to pirate the PC release.

It could be argued that by purchasing the PS3 version i bought the right to play the game and hence should not have to pay multiple times for the same content. (I say this because of the discussion around not actually owning the data on a physical disk but rather owning the right to use / view that data)

Yes, im aware that theres gonna be additional content in the PC version but essentially its the same right?

I didnt like GTA 5 all that much and probably wont play it on PC either way but im curious what you guys think on the matter.

Discalimer: Before you light your torches and get your pichforks - I do buy my games ;)

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

The whole reason Rockstar doesn't make most games for PC is because of pirating. 

Just buy the game, or buy it when it's on sale. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

There's an awful lot of extra content and improved visuals in the new version. Your logic could be applied to all HD remakes, but even then, it's a new version of the game, despite how similar it is, and you should probably pay. 

SNIP

no you are not entitled to

And Rockstar need to be encouraged that not all PC users are filthy pirates, they took the effort to bring it to PC, and SEEM to be doing a good job

they should be rewarded with your purchase

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Depends on the content, what you intend to do with it, and its availability in your location...

If it's just to sample before you buy or to make a copy that you bought work (because the DRM on the game keeps the game from working properly), I think it's fine...

else, it's not ok...

I still don't see the point, even if you own the product on another system. Plus, with Rock Star being very hesitant in even bringing the game to the PC platform, I would buy it, to at least show that their efforts haven't just gone to waste and the game isn't just going to be stolen. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

If it looks good and has little issues then i'll buy it.

If it turns out like AC Unity i will acquire it by other means.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

[Hypotethical]

So the upcoming release of GTA V got me pondering a question. I bought the PS3 version of the game on release and was wondering whether or not it would be morally justifyable to pirate the PC release.

It could be argued that by purchasing the PS3 version i bought the right to play the game and hence should not have to pay multiple times for the same content. (I say this because of the discussion around not actually owning the data on a physical disk but rather owning the right to use / view that data)

Yes, im aware that theres gonna be additional content in the PC version but essentially its the same right?

I didnt like GTA 5 all that much and probably wont play it on PC either way but im curious what you guys think on the matter.

Discalimer: Before you light your torches and get your pichforks - I do buy my games ;)

Morally justifiable? No.

It's two different platforms. You brought the right to play the PS3 version on your PS3. Just buy the PC version but if you don't want to that's up to you.

Pirating was the sole reason why Rockstar didn't want to release the PC version of the game! 

I used to pirate when i was younger but now it is just easier to buy it on steam and the multi player works. saves me a lot off hassle and I am old enough to understand what I am doing and how it can effect company's. 

I used to pirate when i was younger but now it is just easier to buy it on steam and the multi player works. saves me a lot off hassle and I am old enough to understand what I am doing and how it can effect company's. 

Same Here. 

Unless its ubisoft bad port wise, buy it. Has a bunch more content. Like, just because I have older tomb raiders, dont mean i'm gunna pirate the new one. Plus GTA online wouldnt be a thing on pirated versions anyways.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

i tend to not think about the morality when it comes to big companys. if a game doesnt force me to pay just so i can enjoy the multiplayer or something then im not buying. im not paying 50-60 bucks for a singleplayer game since the irated version is just as good. but when i do intend to use multiplayer i usually buy because nobody likes to fuck around with cracked games for hours just so i can play with the 2 other people who did that. so really for me its just a matter of what do i get out of it. i dont get sad over some huge company getting my pennys. theyll do fine.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

[Hypotethical]

You could argue that, but you didn't buy the right to play it on anything but the PS3, so then morally you are in the wrong.

Okay so for some level of fairness and arguments sake lets say you are right and you bought the game and you should be able to play the game you bought on the PC, except that the "PS3" game is not coming to PC. Any and all enhancements made to the game makes it a different game, and HD remake maybe, so pirating the game is still pirating and morally you would still be doing wrong.

Game are one of the things I won't pirate. I bought GTA V on Xbox 360 when it came out, and I've already pre-ordered it for PC.

I don't feel so bad bout pirating America TV shows because if they were shown in the UK the same time then I'd watch them on TV here.

I definitely will NOT pirate this masterpiece called GTA V. I played it on my friend's PS4 and even though I hate controllers it was wonderful. The best game I've ever played. 

i tend to not think about the morality when it comes to big companys. if a game doesnt force me to pay just so i can enjoy the multiplayer or something then im not buying. im not paying 50-60 bucks for a singleplayer game since the irated version is just as good. but when i do intend to use multiplayer i usually buy because nobody likes to fuck around with cracked games for hours just so i can play with the 2 other people who did that. so really for me its just a matter of what do i get out of it. i dont get sad over some huge company getting my pennys. theyll do fine.

This is part of the problem of why PC gaming get so much less respect, which affects game development and releases to the platform.

It's only justifiable if you have no means of acquiring it, like if it's not sold in your country or it's no longer sold. If you've already bought the game and it no longer works, like a scratched disc, I also think it's okay.

If you don't want to pay, then simply don't play games that costs money. Even if you think the game is unreasonably priced, there's tons of other games you can play. Hell, just play F2P games if you're that cheap.

If you do it to stand against the company, don't buy or play it at all, pirating it only means you're being hypocritical. It doesn't matter how big or small, evil or good, you're still using their product, just without paying for it. All you do is show them that the game is worth your time.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Wait for the game to come out- If it has crappy DRM, broken spec requirments, and is overall badly ported, then personally, I wouldn't pirate it, but bycott it or the company as a whole (as I have done after getting bruned for the horrible DRM for HAWX2)

I honestly don't think there is an easy answer to this question. I use torrents for demoing purposes I wont lie.
But companies don't release demos, there is a pretty logical business reason for it. You can see why in the video below

When it comes to things like unity well...anyone who bought that are you really happy you bought that not knowing 1st hand how it behaved? Same for GTA4s initial release...hell...im still not happy with GTA4s state to be honest.
I do go back and buy some games I torrented that I enjoyed, some I screw around and never touch again. I dunno though ....as far as im concerned its a complicated issue. ..at least for those who torrent buy still have no objections putting money down for a game.

If you are one of those who just torrent everything under the sun well...you are just self entitled and need a reality check.

Edit - I also think the big wigs running these companies really need to get a clue that 1 pirate = 1 lost sale. That is not how things work in reality, they know it, we know it. People will pirate not matter what you do, people were in the process of emulating the whole Sim City "cloud" to run a pirated version...you cant stop them. Stop wasting your time and money trying stop burdening your paying customers with intrusive DRMS that fail.

"Piracy is almost always a service problem."

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I won't be pirating it because I pirated music back in the day, and got too many viruses.

I will be sitting on my ass until it gets to below 50% of release price, then I will buy it. Mainly because I'm butthurt about having to wait so damned long to get it for PC.

I honestly don't think there is an easy answer to this question. I use torrents for demoing purposes I wont lie.
But companies don't release demos, there is a pretty logical business reason for it. You can see why in the video below

-snip

When it comes to things like unity well...anyone who bought that are you really happy you bought that not knowing 1st hand how it behaved? Same for GTA4s initial release...hell...im still not happy with GTA4s state to be honest.
I do go back and buy some games I torrented that I enjoyed, some I screw around and never touch again. I dunno though ....as far as im concerned its a complicated issue. ..at least for those who torrent buy still have no objections putting money down for a game.

If you are one of those who just torrent everything under the sun well...you are just self entitled and need a reality check.

I know more than a few Unity fans who got it on PS4 who are convinced that it had no problems at launch.....at all....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I won't be pirating it because I pirated music back in the day, and got too many viruses.

I will be sitting on my ass until it gets to below 50% of release price, then I will buy it. Mainly because I'm butthurt about having to wait so damned long to get it for PC.

I know more than a few Unity fans who got it on PS4 who are convinced that it had no problems at launch.....at all....

Well, they also need a reality check.

From what I seen that game is like GTA4, it doesn't run great on anything (I have played all 3 versions of GTA4) you just hear the PC gamers the most since I find we are more noticeable of performance flaws, we have monitoring software to easily see problems, we can root around in code, ect.

How GTA4 performed on ps3 made me wanna gouge out my own eyes...and that was before I was PC gaming.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Well, they also need a reality check.

From what I seen that game is like GTA4, it doesn't run great on anything (I have played all 3 versions of GTA4) you just hear the PC gamers the most since I find we are more noticeable of performance flaws, we have monitoring software to easily see problems, we can root around in code, ect.

I'll admit, I plan on buying GTA 5 either way, because I like GTA.

I will just be waiting for price reduction. What "badness" carried over from 4? dont tell me, constant calls from cousin wanting to go bowling or some shit? I've watched some videos and it seems like it could be a fun game. At least compared to 4

I'll admit, I plan on buying GTA 5 either way, because I like GTA.

I will just be waiting for price reduction. What "badness" carried over from 4? dont tell me, constant calls from cousin wanting to go bowling or some shit? I've watched some videos and it seems like it could be a fun game. At least compared to 4

FPS dropping aside GTA5 on xb360 blew me away the detail in that world is simply staggering, even on last gen. I wish I could remember all the detail praise I gave it when i 1st played it but I sold my copy with the pc release and selling my xb360. I had some issues like i prefer how 4 handed car handling but overall its very good. and No the cell phone isnt an issue at all.

GTAO On the otherhand I felt was incredibly underbaked. And only screwed around trolling people in. I dont even like trolling/griefing in games but imo in something like GTAO..like DayZ you should know a large element of the game is built around that.

When you do play it here is a fun thing to do. Get an SUV of some kind drive it near a convenience store and go into "passive mode" (you cant be shot in passive) Then wait for someone to hold up the store then spring into action and reverse your truck up and back it into the doors of the store. There is no other way out and you automatically get a wanted level when you hold up a store. ...many lulz

System Specs

FPS dropping aside GTA5 on xb360 blew me away the detail in that world is simply staggering, even on last gen. I wish I could remember all the detail praise I gave it when i 1st played it but I sold my copy with the pc release and selling my xb360. I had some issues like i prefer how 4 handed car handling but overall its very good. and No the cell phone isnt an issue at all.

GTAO On the otherhand I felt was incredibly underbaked. And only screwed around trolling people in. I dont even like trolling/griefing in games but imo in something like GTAO..like DayZ you should know a large element of the game is built around that.

When you do play it here is a fun thing to do. Get an SUV of some kind drive it near a convenience store and go into "passive mode" (you cant be shot in passive) Then wait for someone to hold up the store then spring into action and reverse your truck up and back it into the doors of the store. There is no other way out and you automatically get a wanted level when you hold up a store. ...many lulz

I'll have to  remember that.