Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jam1234

Which text editor do you use?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

I am looking for a text editor to write HTML, CSS, PHP etc.

I have done some searches and sublime text looks good. But I want to find out if you recommend any others. Preferably it would have SASS/SCSS syntax or have the ability to install one.

Just looking for an opinion as I want my experience to be the best and quickest possible.

Thanks in advance,

James

My PC: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MN3YwP

Wish I could afford to do giveaways for you guys, Sorry school doesn't pay me! <3

I am currently using NotePad++ (their website was suppose to be hacked or something at the moment.. Might be harder to get your hands on it..)

But Sublime text 2.0 seems cool too.

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

I know aptana studio does HTML and CSS, so I'd imagine it'd do PHP and all the other "web" programming languages

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Sublime Text 3, Brackets, and Eclipse, all in their respective 'fields'.

Brackets is essentially Atom, but built specifically for webdev--also from Github.

Notepad++

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Atom because open source

Not only because of that, but because it is a really good editor. I've used it for some node.js work and it worked really well for that.

vim master race.

If I need a full environment I use Eclipse PHP development tools; PHPStorm is probably better but I don't care.

These two. Notepad++ for things where line numbers are helpful, and... Yeah. Not that I do anything advanced... ;)

5f19fad6bc.png

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

Brackets.io for me. I found it looks much better than Notepad++, is free, open source and has a few cool features!

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

Notepad ++, Sublime Text 3(win64), I also use a lot of jetbrains stuff like pycharm and rubymine.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Really like Brakets think that I will probably use it :D

I've never heard of that before and it looks awesome... giving it a shot now too :). I've used Atom extensively though and came here to recommend that.

4670k | Gryphon Z87 | SS 840 EVO | Crucial M500