AMD employee confirms new GPU with HBM and 300W

Kowar

You clearly don't pay your own power bills.

If an extra 9-15 dollars a year is gonna break the bank I'm thinking maybe a 500+ dollar gpu shouldnt be your primary concern. 

Edit: Sorry, 9-23.76 dollars if you pay highest price per KWH of $.33 by living in Hawaii 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I was hoping for a leaked release date tho :) , since I'm on the verge of building a pc.

Anyhow, I hope these new cards will come at an acceptable price, I hope the 370x is nearly as good as the 970 at a lower price, 270 usd max.

This is pretty much a confirmed date. Since the 380x is just now being taped out, you can bet on March.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If an extra 9-15 dollars a year is gonna break the bank I'm thinking maybe a 500+ dollar gpu shouldnt be your primary concern. 

Edit: Sorry, 9-23.76 dollars if you pay highest price per KWH of $.33 by living in Hawaii

Your quoted cost of electricity is BS. It's $0.15/KWH, and second most enthusiast gamers are on for more than 4 hours a day, and then there's all the other work they do. Your arguments are continuously illogical and disingenuous.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Your quoted cost of electricity is BS. It's $0.15/KWH, and second most enthusiast gamers are on for more than 4 hours a day, and then there's all the other work they do. Your arguments are continuously illogical and disingenuous.

"The average price people in the U.S. pay for electricity is about 12 cents per kilowatt-hour. (Context: A typical U.S. household uses about 908 kWh a month of electricity.) But there's huge variation from state to state"

Edit: Also assuming you some how manage do game for 4 hours a day 7 days a week, Also assuming the AMD gpu uses 100w more, also assuming you pin your GPU at 100 percent usage, also assuming your rate is .15 per KWH, also assuming every month has 30 days in it, the grand total would be $86.40 a year.

That's less than a single night at the bar or a nice meal for two. 

You're kinda grasping at straws here.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

See see comment 3 spaces up.

"The average price people in the U.S. pay for electricity is about 12 cents per kilowatt-hour. (Context: A typical U.S. household uses about 908 kWh a month of electricity.) But there's huge variation from state to state"

Sorry, but your figure is old and now you're dodging the truth. Enthusiast gamers play for 4+ hours a day, and as someone who just went about learning simulations programming and decided to do his project on power consumption, the Dept. Of Energy would like to disagree with you.

Sorry, but your figure is old and now you're dodging the truth. Enthusiast gamers play for 4+ hours a day, and as someone who just went about learning simulations programming and decided to do his project on power consumption, the Dept. Of Energy would like to disagree with you.

Right. See my edit. I'm not sure why i keep arguing with a proven fanboy.

I'm done. Go on with your simulations programming and circle jerk yourself into a nice frenzy.

First off, the average national cost per kWh is 12.56 cents in the US. Secondly, we're talking average here. Most people don't have time to be hardcore gaming 4 hours a day. And even if you do, you're still under $18 a year. That's $1.5 a month. And anything that isn't gaming or rendering will not stress your GPU nearly to the point where it would need to be considered an argument. Btw, my calculation using a 100W difference was extremely conservative, in reality the average difference is more like 60W, somewhere around there.

Let's say you pay 0.45$/KWh, which is IMPOSSIBLE. Let's say you game 8 hours per day for 365 days a year, which is IMPOSSIBLE. Let's say the 390X comsumes 100W more power than the 980, which is IMPOSSIBLE.

You would spend 131 $ more per year playing with that GPU. Now I'd be surprised if you paid 1/16th of that amount.

/argument ?

Spoiler

How in hell normal person can spare that much time? Most of the time I don't have that much free time during day . If it wasn't for my "in one sitting " playthroughs from evening to morning once a month , I wouldn't play at all. 

Damn, what will happen when I'll become father ? :D

How in hell normal person can spare that much time? Most of the time I don't have that much free time during day . If it wasn't for my "in one sitting " playthroughs from evening to morning once a month , I wouldn't play at all. 

He lives in a magical land where nobody has a 9-5 job and responsibilities don't exist to the average person. I could see 4 hours a day...like on the weekends or something.

First off, the average national cost per kWh is 12.56 cents in the US. Secondly, we're talking average here. Most people don't have time to be hardcore gaming 4 hours a day. And even if you do, you're still under $18 a year. That's $1.5 a month. And anything that isn't gaming or rendering will not stress your GPU nearly to the point where it would need to be considered an argument. Btw, my calculation using a 100W difference was extremely conservative, in reality the average difference is more like 60W, somewhere around there.

Sorry but your quoted cost is wrong according to the DOE. Now, with the falling price of oil that may change, but the DOE figure is $0.15

I assume you live in florida, so you should know that power is cheap here.

Nope, Jersey and Ohio. Like I would ever go to a 3rd tier institution like U of M...

Epic fail. Average revenues are what you're quoting, which happens to mean profits in this context.

You're also leaving all state and federal taxes out with this cherry picked figure.

Who said anything about 300w TDP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDWO177BjZY

even if it has less tdp, by consuming 300w it will have close to that tdp. so lets say 289

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

He lives in a magical land where nobody has a 9-5 job and responsibilities don't exist to the average person. I could see 4 hours a day...like on the weekends or something.

You said enthusiasts. And you can have a 9-5, get home at 6, eat until 7, game until 11, shower, and then bed and still get 8 hours.

Sorry but your quoted cost is wrong according to the DOE. Now, with the falling price of oil that may change, but the DOE figure is $0.15

Source? Anyways, even if that's true, it doesn't change my argument. 100W difference, 4 hours of hardcore use 365 days a year, price per kWh @ $0.15 makes 22 bucks a year. Hardly a realistic number, as for most people it will be far below, but hey, there you go. 22 bucks a year is the basis of your entire argument and its about as thin as the paper that money is printed on.

Source? Anyways, even if that's true, it doesn't change my argument. 100W difference, 4 hours of hardcore use 365 days a year, price per kWh @ $0.15 makes 22 bucks a year. Hardly a realistic number, as for most people it will be far below, but hey, there you go. 22 bucks a year is the basis of your entire argument and its about as thin as the paper that money is printed on.

The original discussion was over enthusiasts, not the average consumer. Now add in 2, 3, & 4-way XFire/SLI and look at how that balloons. Also, given projected market performance, $22 saved now and invested per year means you come out about $170 ahead in 3 years, the average life of a gamer's rig. Of course, we know the life of consumer computers is much longer.

The original discussion was over enthusiasts, not the average consumer. Now add in 2, 3, & 4-way XFire/SLI and look at how that balloons. Also, given projected market performance, $22 saved now and invested per year means you come out about $170 ahead in 3 years, the average life of a gamer's rig. Of course, we know the life of consumer computers is much longer.

Sorry, but the number of people who will be running these cards in SLI/CF configs (especially 3 and 4-way) is extremely low, even among enthusiats. And I doubt that last argument you made would look very good on an Nvidia ad. There's a million ways you could save $22 a year. 

Sorry, but the number of people who will be running these cards in SLI/CF configs (especially 3 and 4-way) is extremely low, even among enthusiats. And I doubt that last argument you made would look very good on an Nvidia ad. There's a million ways you could save $22 a year. 

Don't bother, He'll grasp at every straw he can find for the almighty nvidia.