AMD employee confirms new GPU with HBM and 300W

Kowar

NO!

What? AMD and nvidia are going in differant directions. Nvidia is already more effiecient without the manufacturing shrink, 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I think it's only fair to see how the new cards perform before judging their efficiency.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Since when did everyone become so power conscious for desktop components?

Right? Especially at the very high end. 

Honestly, as soon as for some reason nVidia ends up being less power efficient, nobody will care again and play it off as no big deal. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Who cares about efficiency on $300-500 dGPU!?!?!?! MOAR POWA!

Heat/noise/cost. AMD should skip this year and wait for the 14/16 nm gpus.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Who cares if a GPU consumes more power ? If this is what it takes to push 4K more effectively, I'll gladly take it. I have a 1000W PSU that only begs for more usage. If you want lower TDP or power consumption, go with a lower card. 

This is kind of like if people complained that their home theater system is too loud when cranked at 8. Well, lower it. I like to have the option to have it loud as f***.

Spoiler

Who cares if a GPU consumes more power ? If this is what it takes to push 4K more effectively, I'll gladly take it. I have a 1000W PSU that only begs for more usage. If you want lower TDP or power consumption, go with a lower card. 

This is kind of like if people complained that their home theater system is too loud when cranked at 8. Well, lower it. I like to have the option to have it loud as f***.

You dont seem to understand how the LTT community apparently likes to purchase enthusiast grade high end GPU products. Power consumption > TDP > Noise > Cost > Performance.

I've been trying to point out that nobody actually looks for a gpu using that kind of priority ever but I just get called a fanboy and apparently a -Snip- (apparently i shouldnt say type that word?)

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

You know what? Keep your very efficient 25W TDP GPUs for mobile devices and give me the same arhitechture@ 300W TDP so I can still justify the usage of a classic desktop.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying f*ck about power consumption? All I care about is how much performance AMD can extract from those Watts. The leaked benchmarks of the 280X hinted a massive amount of performance at a surprisingly low power consumption. If those benchmarks turn out to be accurate, that means the 390X will likely be a complete monster. And if I'm not mistaken, this mysterious 300W card we're talking about would be the 390X, or did I get that wrong?

Oh and btw, the current 290/290X's easily pull 300W. I'm certainly not having any cooling issues with mine.

you know what? i don't even care if it's 300w if it's the new GPU king.

although my PC will then be taking the place of my microwave.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying f*ck about power consumption? All I care about is how much performance AMD can extract from those Watts. The leaked benchmarks of the 280X hinted a massive amount of performance. If those benchmarks turn out to be accurate, that means the 390X will likely be a complete monster. And if I'm not mistaken, this mysterious 300W card we're talking about would be the 390X, or did I get that wrong?

I think the conclusion we're coming to here is no. 95 percent of the people out there trying to game really couldn't give a damn about power efficiency (within a limit obviously). The 5 percent out there complaining about it are either special use cases or just fanboys complaining because fanboys.

I think the conclusion we're coming to here is no. 95 percent of the people out there trying to game really couldn't give a damn about power efficiency (within a limit obviously). The 5 percent out there complaining about it are either special use cases or just fanboys complaining because fanboys.

It's like complaining that the McLaren F1 consumes too much fuel. Pretty absurd because this is not why you buy the car. is it ?

Spoiler

It's like complaining that the McLaren F1 consumes too much fuel. Pretty absurd because this is not why you buy the car. is it ?

""I want the fastest car I can buy with --,--- dollars!"

"Here's a ford fusion, it doesn't go as fast but its more efficient so its ok."

Is exactly what i put in the reply to patrick on page 3

We all new the 300 series was coming at some point. I doubt it will be a 300W card, unless they are making a huge push for more performance. Even if it is, it would cost (maybe) a couple percentage points extra on your power bill if you game a lot.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

""I want the fastest car I can buy with --,--- dollars!"

"Here's a ford fusion, it doesn't go as fast but its more efficient so its ok."

Is exactly what i put in the reply to patrick on page 3

Except fastest car in the world and Ford Fusion are not neck and neck in performance while one being more efficient that other. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Especially when you do the math. Assuming this AMD card consumes 100W more than the competing Nvidia card, there's two issues: number one is cooling, though I think that cards like the Sapphire 290X sufficiently prove that a well designed air cooler in a well ventilated case can easily handle a 300W card. 

The second issue is the power bill. So lets say the card consumes 100W more than the Nvidia card and you're running it at full throttle 2 hours a day. Lets also assume you live in the US, where the average cost per kWh is $0.12. So you have 100W x 2h = 0.2 kWh a day, makes $0.024 a day. Makes $0.72 a month, makes $8.76 a year. The difference on your power bill will be less than 9 bucks a year. Not really worth the fuss, if you ask me.

We all new the 300 series was coming at some point. I doubt it will be a 300W card, unless they are making a huge push for more performance. Even if it is, it would cost (maybe) a couple percentage points extra on your power bill if you game a lot.

Except fastest car in the world and Ford Fusion are not neck and neck in performance while one being more efficient that other. :)

Exactly why i said I want the fastest car i can buy with BLANK amount of money, not the fastest car in the world. :)

At the fusions price point there are defiantly faster things, is the point i was getting at.

I was hoping for a leaked release date tho :) , since I'm on the verge of building a pc.

Anyhow, I hope these new cards will come at an acceptable price, I hope the 370x is nearly as good as the 970 at a lower price, 270 usd max.

Good point, however the metaphor should have been : 2 cars being neck in neck in consumption (approx 26W more than the 980), while one being more performing than the other (as speculated).

Spoiler

Especially when you do the math. Assuming this AMD card consumes 100W more than the competing Nvidia card, there's two issues: number one is cooling, though I think that cards like the Sapphire 290X sufficiently prove that a well designed air cooler in a well ventilated case can easily handle a 300W card. 

The second issue is the power bill. So lets say the card consumes 100W more than the Nvidia card and you're running it at full throttle 2 hours a day. Lets also assume you live in the US, where the average cost per kWh is $0.12. So you have 100W x 2h = 0.2 kWh a day, makes $0.024 a day. Makes $0.72 a month, makes $8.76 a year. The difference on your power bill will be less than 9 bucks a year. Not really worth the fuss, if you ask me.

Exactly, and as discussed earlier a 290x (a 300 watt card) only uses [or makes the entire system use] under full load 20-60 watts more power than the uber efficient 980 (and in fact uses 8-10watts less than the 780 Ti)...so its not even as extreme as they want to make it out to be. 

Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever.

So basically this.

Exactly why i said I want the fastest car i can buy with BLANK amount of money, not the fastest car in the world. :)

At the fusions price point there are defiantly faster things, is the point i was getting at.

When you look at the Nvidia vs AMD, you can't really say who's faster since they're trading blows in almost every title. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Who cares about efficiency on $300-500 dGPU!?!?!?! MOAR POWA!

You clearly don't pay your own power bills.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You clearly don't pay your own power bills.

Spoiler